Large Collection of Short Boys' Adventure Novels

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

I found this large collection of dime novels (or nickel novels) that are boys' adventure stories. Most seem to be pretty short so they would be a good fit for a first solo. Some might be so short that you could group several together into a collection.

From the scans I looked at, they all seem to be published pre-1928. However, double check on the particular scan you want to use because I did not check them all (with 1392 results there is no way lol). You also will want to be especially careful to make sure that the scan is complete and not missing chapters/pages. Incomplete scans are not unusual with scans of dime novels.

https://digitalgallery.bgsu.edu/items/browse?collection=15&sort_field=added&sort_dir=d&display=gallery&page=1
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

These look like fun! Scans look very readable, which is also a plus.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Doing a quick estimate, based on the first couple of them, they look to be about 1000 words per chapter and about 17,000 words overall. Very good size for a first solo, or even for a filler solo between larger ones. I know I like to have a little variety, so when doing a solo, I will also do a short story after every 3 or 4 chapters of the solo.

There are some short filler pieces at the end of at least the first few volumes, but I don't know that they look worth the effort to include as part of doing the whole edition, but YMMV.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

And wow! They seem to still be adding a lot. When I first posted, there 1392 scans. Now there are 1420 - so they added 28 new books in 4 days :shock:
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Anything there for tall boys? (Wink.)
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

KevinS wrote: March 31st, 2023, 9:39 pm Anything there for tall boys? (Wink.)
:lol: