[Complete] The Autobiography of an Indian Princess by Sunity Devi - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

dckabir wrote: March 13th, 2023, 7:15 am Here's section 7:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/indianprincess_07_devi_128kb.mp3
22:26
Thank you
Exceptionally well read, of course! I think these two minor fixes will make it even better ...

(20:40) "And the poor caught a glimpse of the pomp and circumstance" [I hear: "And the people caught a glimpse of the pomp and circumstance"]
(21:14) "Why should we not be admitted to heaven without delay?" [I hear: "Why would we not be admitted to heaven without delay?"]

... Thank you!
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

BrianFullen wrote: March 13th, 2023, 9:15 am
dckabir wrote: March 13th, 2023, 7:15 am Here's section 7:
Thank you
Exceptionally well read, of course! I think these two minor fixes will make it even better ...

(20:40) "And the poor caught a glimpse of the pomp and circumstance" [I hear: "And the people caught a glimpse of the pomp and circumstance"]
(21:14) "Why should we not be admitted to heaven without delay?" [I hear: "Why would we not be admitted to heaven without delay?"]

... Thank you!
Thank you Brian!
Here's the updated file:
dc
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Seamless! Amazing! Thank you, dc, for a perfectly lovely recording. :clap:
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

May I read chapter 10, Happy Days?
dc
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

dckabir wrote: March 21st, 2023, 5:55 am May I read chapter 10, Happy Days?
Yes, Please!
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

BrianFullen wrote: March 21st, 2023, 8:35 am
Yes, Please!
Here's chapter 10:
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/indianprincess_10_devi_128kb.mp3
27:52

May I read the last chapter, 15 - Later Years.

Thank you
dc
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

dckabir wrote: March 31st, 2023, 11:15 pm
BrianFullen wrote: March 21st, 2023, 8:35 am
Yes, Please!
Here's chapter 10:
27:52

May I read the last chapter, 15 - Later Years.

Thank you
Thank you for chapter 10 and, yes, of course, chapter 15 is yours! Best wishes, Brian
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Wonderfully read; such great feeling. Your diction and pace are fantastic. I'm not a hunter, myself, but I especially enjoyed the hunting camp passages, as you read them, and I found myself visualizing all that transpired. Thanks, for that.

I do have some PL Notes. There's so little for improvement in your recording, but I do think these might avail.
  • (01:05) TEXT: "he was very proud of their efforts." READ: "he was very fond of their efforts."
    • I don't doubt that Oakley was fond of the children and pleased by their efforts but I do think that his pride derived not just from their aptitude as pupils but to some extent his skill as a riding instructor.
  • (11:54) TEXT: "one poudré and the other fancy-dress" READ: "one powder and the other fancy-dress"
    • I thought long and hard about noting this one. I believe that 'l'accent aigu' suggests a French pronunciation, along the lines of poo-DHRAY. I believe this is short for 'poudré bal'. I've never attended one of those, of course, but my understanding is that wigs were 'de rigeur' unless, alternatively, hair was powdered. That's the part I struggled with - to comment, or not - because the English translation of poudré is powder and maybe that's why you chose the pronunciation that you chose,
  • (14:44) TEXT: “My own mother could not have been more kind to me.” MISSING: 'own'
    • I do think the word own is needed to preserve the sentiment of the stepson
  • (16:48) TEXT: "the late Sir Henry Tichborne" MISSING" 'Sir'
    • Maybe I'm too picky with this one, but it just seemed that everyone else in this list of lists was titled so, maybe, Sir Henry should have been as well.
Well, turnabout is fair play, as they say, so I think I should claim a section for myself; if for no other reason than to provide you the opportunity to be just as severe with me. :)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

I selfishly claimed section 8!
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

BrianFullen wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:29 pm
Wonderfully read; such great feeling. Your diction and pace are fantastic. I'm not a hunter, myself, but I especially enjoyed the hunting camp passages, as you read them, and I found myself visualizing all that transpired. Thanks, for that.

I do have some PL Notes. There's so little for improvement in your recording, but I do think these might avail.
  • (01:05) TEXT: "he was very proud of their efforts." READ: "he was very fond of their efforts."
    • I don't doubt that Oakley was fond of the children and pleased by their efforts but I do think that his pride derived not just from their aptitude as pupils but to some extent his skill as a riding instructor.
  • (11:54) TEXT: "one poudré and the other fancy-dress" READ: "one powder and the other fancy-dress"
    • I thought long and hard about noting this one. I believe that 'l'accent aigu' suggests a French pronunciation, along the lines of poo-DHRAY. I believe this is short for 'poudré bal'. I've never attended one of those, of course, but my understanding is that wigs were 'de rigeur' unless, alternatively, hair was powdered. That's the part I struggled with - to comment, or not - because the English translation of poudré is powder and maybe that's why you chose the pronunciation that you chose,
  • (14:44) TEXT: “My own mother could not have been more kind to me.” MISSING: 'own'
    • I do think the word own is needed to preserve the sentiment of the stepson
  • (16:48) TEXT: "the late Sir Henry Tichborne" MISSING" 'Sir'
    • Maybe I'm too picky with this one, but it just seemed that everyone else in this list of lists was titled so, maybe, Sir Henry should have been as well.
Thank you for your kind PL notes! :D

Here's the updated file with the corrections:
Same run time 27:52

I was not sure of my French pronunciation for 'poudré', hence had taken the easy way out :lol: but you left me no choice with your guide to saying the word, hope I've said it right.
BrianFullen wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:29 pm Well, turnabout is fair play, as they say, so I think I should claim a section for myself; if for no other reason than to provide you the opportunity to be just as severe with me. :)
Looking forward :twisted:
Last edited by dckabir on April 3rd, 2023, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dc
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

BrianFullen wrote: April 1st, 2023, 10:35 pm I selfishly claimed section 8!
:clap:
dc
czandra

Post by czandra »

I'd be happy to do 9 and 14!

Cz
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

czandra wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:12 am I'd be happy to do 9 and 14!

Cz
Brilliant! Thank you for your claim Czandra :)
Brian, our BC will be most happy to have you join the team.
Last edited by dckabir on April 3rd, 2023, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
dc
czandra

Post by czandra »

Hello, DC. I'm just polishing the recording of 9 now, and I find I have consistently said "Maharaj" throughout instead of "Maharajah". Before I go to the trouble of changing every one, please, on the off-chance that they are interchangeable, let me know if it's necessary!

Thanks
Czandra
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

czandra wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 8:50 am Hello, DC. I'm just polishing the recording of 9 now, and I find I have consistently said "Maharaj" throughout instead of "Maharajah". Before I go to the trouble of changing every one, please, on the off-chance that they are interchangeable, let me know if it's necessary!

Thanks
Czandra
I understand Maharajah to be the title whereas Maharaj would be a way of addressing the Maharajah.
Also the text reads Maharajah. Maybe it's a safer bet to make the change at this stage.
Lynnet, Brian any inputs please?
dc