COMPLETE [Weekly Poetry] The Arrow and the Song by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Inkell. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

CrisHovey wrote: March 30th, 2023, 10:49 am First thing recorded and shared publicly, ever. :?

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/arrowandthesong_longfellow_ch_128kb.mp3

(00:55)

Cristina Hovey
Good reading Cristina, but this seems to be the same file you submitted as your test recording, I'll just quote Silverquill's notes...
There are several technical issues to correct.
I'm not familiar with Adobe Audition to tell you how to make the corrections, however.

1. The bit rate is incorrect. This is 320 kbps, and all LV recordings must be 128 kbps
2. The volume is below our limit at only 83.2 decibels. Our target is 89 dBs with an acceptable range of 86-92 dBs

Here is a link to a little program written for LV that will check your specs and give you an actual volume measurement in decibels.
Checker https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker
You may have noticed that this text has a lot of "p" words. And, if you listen to your recording, you may notice a loud puff on many of this plosive sounds. It is not severe, but you might try backing off from the mike, or speaking at a slight angle so that puff of air doesn't hit the mike and give that plosive sound.
If you could fix those issues and upload again, using the same filename, please. :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

Bill

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
~Dr. Seuss
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Bill. :thumbs:
David Lawrence

TwinLeaf

Post by TwinLeaf »

RajVO

Post by RajVO »

My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

Big hello to the friendly folks at LibriVox:

I have uploaded my recording of this week's poem. Here's the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/arrowandthesong_longfellow_sbe_128kb.mp3

I'm a complete noob here, and this is only my second recording. This is an 'almost' raw file, in the sense that I've only used noise reduction, besides cutting out two seconds of silence to make it conform to the Librivox spec of five seconds of silence before and after. While the Checker app has cleared the file, I do hope the recording will clear the proof-listening and other checks.

Looking forward to feedback -- and to do a re-recording if necessary.

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

Hello Aradlaw, and David,

Here's to more weekly poetry readings! May I suggest a poem from the works of Francis Thomson (1859-1907). I note that none of his works -- not even The Hound of Heaven, a favourite at drama and voice schools -- has been recorded for LibriVox, though they are all in the public domain. While The Hound of Heaven is pretty long, there are quite a few of shorter works that might work for an easy week's program.

What do you think?

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

BrizeCrize wrote: March 29th, 2023, 8:24 am I breathed The 'Arrow and the Song' into the air (in the direction of my mic) and hope to find it in the heart of a friend for 53 seconds:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/arrowandthesong_longfellow_bc_128kb.mp3

Thank you,
Brize
That's so well put, BC!
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

And another suggestion. I also note that Lewis Carroll's Humpty Dumpty's Song from Through the Looking Glass hasn't been recorded by itself on LibriVox, though Through the Looking Glass has been done in its entirety by many, in solo and collaborative projects. Does that qualify Humpty Dumpty's Song for a Weekly Poetry slot?
YESBEEYEE
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Tiwnleaf, Raj and YESBEEYEE. :thumbs:

SBE, thank you for those suggestions.
David Lawrence

KristinM

Post by KristinM »

Hello,
Here is my recording of The Arrow and the Song with a recording time of 58:51. It is my first recording (after my test recording) so apologies in advance for technical and reading errors. Thank you so much for the opportunity to record such a lovely poem with everyone on the forum.

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/arrowandthesong_longfellow_kjm_128kb.mp3

i greatly appreciate your time,
Kris
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Thank you Kris, good reading with no tech errors. :thumbs:

* don't forget to include the file duration with your upload link (0:58 for this one) :wink:
David Lawrence

KristinM

Post by KristinM »

Thank you so much, David!

Kris
RachelLea

Post by RachelLea »

What a lovely poem! Here is my recording. https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/arrowandthesong_longfellow_rlt_128kb.mp3

File duration: 00:53