Audacity died.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
berlingunning

Post by berlingunning »

Help! Audacity has stopped recording for me. I think it has something to do with the fact that one drive is trying to install my personal vault and it has a hard time staying up to date, so what do I do? This is a very frustrating because I'm trying to send in my last recorded chapter, and it won't let me finish editing. Can anyone recommend alternative software?
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

I am not sure I understand how OneDrive would interfere with Audacity. If you're installing a new software (Personal Vault?) and it's hogging all the computer's resources somehow (which sounds worrisome, normally, that shouldn't be so resource hungry an action), then, can you wait till the installation is over?
It should only take a few minutes, normally.

If Audacity won't work at all anymore, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling it.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

It's significantly more likely that the issue is the drivers in Windows itself than Audacity. One way you could find out is by testing your microphone in an online application, like the Zoom meeting test for example. You could also download Windows Voice Recorder from the Microsoft store (for free) and test with that. (Though I don't like to recommend that because I don't personally use the Microsoft store.)

If Zoom or Voice Recorder work but Audacity doesn't, then it really is Audacity. In that case the fix is probably in the Audacity preferences somewhere, or an uninstall and reinstall of Audacity may also fix it. If Zoom or Voice Recorder also don't work, the issue is probably in the drivers for your sound interface, and the fix would be there.

(Often the first step in diagnosing a computer issue is figuring out what it's not to narrow down what it is.)
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)
sonia0119

Post by sonia0119 »

Audacity would freeze up on me initially. What it ended up being for me was the need to install updates on PC. I have Windows so I installed the updates and that fixed the freezing. After installing updates, I then restarted the computer and everything worked fine. Not sure if this will help your issue. I looked into other free recording software but I think Audacity was the best one; hence why I tried to make it work. Hopefully this helps.