(Complete) The Education of Uncle Paul, by Algernon Blackwood - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 5 is PL OK. Edits were spot on, too! I hope to see and will be looking for more of you around the LV playground. :D
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 5 is PL OK. Edits were spot on, Silvan! I hope to see and will be looking for more of you around the LV playground. :D
LesBetts

Post by LesBetts »

Hi Lynette,
Chapter 18 finally recorded! Sorry for the delay but I was made redundant and have been very busy job hunting!!!
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/30_March_2023_at_15:00.mp3
Hope all is good!
Les
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

LesBetts wrote: March 30th, 2023, 1:08 pm Hi Lynette,
Chapter 18 finally recorded! Sorry for the delay but I was made redundant and have been very busy job hunting!!!
Hope all is good!
Les
Thank you… but please use the correct file naming protocol as outlined in the first post. Also, please give the length of the file. We use this in our validation process.
LesBetts

Post by LesBetts »

Lynnet wrote: March 30th, 2023, 1:43 pm
LesBetts wrote: March 30th, 2023, 1:08 pm Hi Lynette,
Hope all is good!
Les
Thank you… but please use the correct file naming protocol as outlined in the first post. Also, please give the length of the file. We use this in our validation process.
LesBetts

Post by LesBetts »

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/educationofunclepaul_18_blackwood_128kb.mp3
29:07
Sorry but I wasn’t aware that I could rename the file after it had been through the uploaded. Many apologies
Les
msfry

Post by msfry »

LesBetts wrote: March 30th, 2023, 2:48 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/educationofunclepaul_18_blackwood_128kb.mp3
Sorry but I wasn’t aware that I could rename the file after it had been through the uploaded. Many apologies
Les
Strangely, when I go to download this file to PL, it shows up as an htm file: educationofunclepaul_18_blackwood_128kb.htm
It is really important that you copy and paste the file name from the First Post, changing only the Section #, and save as an .mp3 before you upload, and report that file name only. The choice of file type to save is available in the save window, as are other choices such as mono, 128 kb, etc. No worries, it takes time to learn these details but once set up, they will stay the same on future saves, until you change them.
LesBetts

Post by LesBetts »

Hi Lynette,
Thanks for your patience with me! And your very clear instructions!

Please use Les Betts as username in the listing catalogue.

Regards
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

LesBetts wrote: March 30th, 2023, 10:54 pm
Hi Lynette,

Regards
There is a very steep learning curve for most of us. Just always be sure to read the first post. There is a basic template we use, but BCs can edit it, so it’s not always the same.
msfry

Post by msfry »

LesBetts wrote: March 30th, 2023, 10:54 pm
Hi Lynette,

Regards
I had a power outage all day yesterday and into the night. Had to charge my iphone in the car! Can't describe how happy I am to wake up this morning to power restored! I have a lot of catch up to do first, but look forward to listening soon.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes for Chapter 18

All in all, Les, this is very pleasantly read! Good pacing and dramatic flair, charming too.
There are a few issues to fix, and I'll make a few suggestions for future recordings:

Intro should be no more than 1 second in length
Outro needs to be increased to 5 seconds.

Checker shows the tech specs as follows:
91.5 dB (within 86-92 range), but you could lower your recording volume just a smidge for future files.
DC Bias +18 (+0.0561%), this could be corrected in Audacity using Effect/Normalize/Remove DC Offset/OK
Background Noise Warning 49.6 dB, and recommends lowering that. In Audacity, you would grab a few seconds of silence from the front., go Effect/ Noise Reduction/Get Noise Profile. Then grab the whole file, go Effect/Noise Reduction/settings 12/6/6/Reduce OK. That should quieten down the background a bit without affecting quality.

9:57 "For like other mystical temperaments", like is barely audible. Here and other places, volume on the second word drops to a whisper, so I wonder if you are turning your mouth away from the mike sometimes, or leaning back? No need to change on this file but be aware of what causes this to avoid on future recordings.

This file would be improved by applying the de-Clicker Effect to the whole, which either removes or diminishes the clicks that occur at almost every breath. I apply it to all of my files, using the default settings, and tried it in a few spots on yours to good effect. The Effect takes time to run, so I apply it when I need to leave my desk awhile. It miraculously gets rid of almost all those clicks, pops, etc.

You could also use the de-Esser, which gets rid of those shrill "S's" we get sometimes.

Learn more and download De-Clicker and De-Esser from our Wiki page. If you don't use Audacity, I presume they can be added to other software.

I am not asking you to De-Click or De_Ess this file. But with your permission I could do so, and if you like how it sounds, we'll keep it.
LesBetts

Post by LesBetts »

msfry wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 8:55 pm PL Notes for Chapter 18

All in all, Les, this is very pleasantly read! Good pacing and dramatic flair, charming too.
There are a few issues to fix, and I'll make a few suggestions for future recordings:

Intro should be no more than 1 second in length
Outro needs to be increased to 5 seconds.

Checker shows the tech specs as follows:
91.5 dB (within 86-92 range), but you could lower your recording volume just a smidge for future files.
DC Bias +18 (+0.0561%), this could be corrected in Audacity using Effect/Normalize/Remove DC Offset/OK
Background Noise Warning 49.6 dB, and recommends lowering that. In Audacity, you would grab a few seconds of silence from the front., go Effect/ Noise Reduction/Get Noise Profile. Then grab the whole file, go Effect/Noise Reduction/settings 12/6/6/Reduce OK. That should quieten down the background a bit without affecting quality.

9:57 "For like other mystical temperaments", like is barely audible. Here and other places, volume on the second word drops to a whisper, so I wonder if you are turning your mouth away from the mike sometimes, or leaning back? No need to change on this file but be aware of what causes this to avoid on future recordings.

This file would be improved by applying the de-Clicker Effect to the whole, which either removes or diminishes the clicks that occur at almost every breath. I apply it to all of my files, using the default settings, and tried it in a few spots on yours to good effect. The Effect takes time to run, so I apply it when I need to leave my desk awhile. It miraculously gets rid of almost all those clicks, pops, etc.

You could also use the de-Esser, which gets rid of those shrill "S's" we get sometimes.

Learn more and download De-Clicker and De-Esser from our Wiki page. If you don't use Audacity, I presume they can be added to other software.

I am not asking you to De-Click or De_Ess this file. But with your permission I could do so, and if you like how it sounds, we'll keep it.
Lynette,

Thanks so much for those suggestions. I don’t have Audacity but will investigate my software to try and find similar solutions.
Please do edit, change as you see fit. Your experience is invaluable!
Once again many thanks for taking the time to educate me!

Les
msfry

Post by msfry »

LesBetts wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 12:50 am
Lynette,

Thanks so much for those suggestions. I don’t have Audacity but will investigate my software to try and find similar solutions.

Les
It's Michele (msfry) who is sending you the PL Notes, not Lynne. I'll run de-click and de-ess and make a few edits to your file, upload (with a PL in the filename so you can download it without erasing your original). Listen, compare the two, and let me know what you think. I'm sorry I don't know any other software than Audacity, but it's free, which is why a great many of our readers use it, and we have many video tutorials in our Wiki on how to use it.
LesBetts

Post by LesBetts »

msfry wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 6:44 am
LesBetts wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 12:50 am
Lynette,

Les
It's Michele (msfry) who is sending you the PL Notes, not Lynne. I'll run de-click and de-ess and make a few edits to your file, upload (with a PL in the filename so you can download it without erasing your original). Listen, compare the two, and let me know what you think. I'm sorry I don't know any other software than Audacity, but it's free, which is why a great many of our readers use it, and we have many video tutorials in our Wiki on how to use it.
Hi Michele,

Apologies I didn’t remember that it was PL by yourself. I did investigate Audacity but it wasn’t free for my devices in the UK.
I got quite a lot of advice from a technician at Librivox regarding my software.

Thanks for your help

Les
msfry

Post by msfry »

OK, Mr. Les, here is your adjusted Chapter 18 file. I have tinkered with it thus:
De-click (factory settings)
De-ess
Normalize (bring DC bias up from -18 to 0)
Noise Reduction
Intro and Outro adjusted to 1 second and 5 seconds respectively

New Checker readings are:
90.7 dB
DC Bias +0
Background Noise 36.0 dB

Have a listen, compare to your original, and if you approve, take the PL out of the filename below, Save, and upload as usual. It will override your original and we'll be all set.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/educationofunclepaul_18PL_blackwood_128kb.mp3 29:08

Of course, be sure and let me know what you do. :)