[COMPLETE]The Torrents of Spring by E. Hemingway - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I forgot all about the summary!

Well, here goes:

The Torrents of Spring was Hemingway's second novel to be published. It would not be wrong to say that it is unique among the author's work as it is a clear parody and full of absurdist humor. Were Hemingway's name not attached to it, one might wonder who actually wrote the novel. The work is a product of its time and the reader is cautioned that there are uncomfortable portrayals of both a Black man and Native Americans.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: March 29th, 2023, 8:44 am 4 is PL OK. And that's a wrap from the PL perspective. You captured the mood of the story well. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for a summary. And hearing what you think of the story.

My thoughts?
No way a flamingo can fit into a bird cage.
How mean they didn't throw the Indian's arm down to him out the window? Artificial arms are expensive.
I was right on one point -- Dianna got the bird!
These characters are all drifters. I couldn't stand being a drifter.
Railroad tracks in snow, going nowhere, would make a good cover.
Thank you, Michele! I think we're ready for the catalog now.
msfry

Post by msfry »

If Anne could just wait til morning to catalog, i might have a fighting chance to claim the cover, which I'd like to do, but I can't stay up all night watching the claims board. :shock:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

msfry wrote: March 29th, 2023, 7:52 pm If Anne could just wait til morning to catalog, i might have a fighting chance to claim the cover, which I'd like to do, but I can't stay up all night watching the claims board. :shock:
What I will do is get the cataloging rolling, then finish up in the morning.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

KevinS wrote: March 29th, 2023, 7:02 pm I forgot all about the summary!

Well, here goes:

The Torrents of Spring was Hemingway's second novel to be published. It would not be wrong to say that it is unique among the author's work as it is a clear parody of Sherwood Anderson's Dark Laughter and full of absurdist humor. Were Hemingway's name not attached to it, one might wonder who actually wrote the novel. The work is a product of its time and the reader is cautioned that there are uncomfortable portrayals of both a Black man and Native Americans. In truth, no one is treated in a sensitive way.
I've updated the summary a bit (if it is not too late.)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Kevin, I've sent you a PM with some more suggestions.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-torrents-of-spring-by-ernest-hemingway/

Great job, Kevin and Michele! :clap: :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

icequeen wrote: March 30th, 2023, 4:12 pm This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-torrents-of-spring-by-ernest-hemingway/

Great job, Kevin and Michele! :clap: :clap:
Thank you, both!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Anne, did you claim the cover for me on the claims board? I just went there and my name is on the board, but I'm sure I didn't do it. I haven't been at my desk, so it's quite a mystery.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

msfry wrote: March 30th, 2023, 7:40 pm Anne, did you claim the cover for me on the claims board? I just went there and my name is on the board, but I'm sure I didn't do it. I haven't been at my desk, so it's quite a mystery.
I did, just because I had not been able to get back to LV in the morning. Something came up, as always. So, I figured that I should get your name on there before someone else did. (Yes, I can be very mysterious sometimes!)
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
msfry

Post by msfry »

icequeen wrote: March 30th, 2023, 7:43 pm
msfry wrote: March 30th, 2023, 7:40 pm Anne, did you claim the cover for me on the claims board? I just went there and my name is on the board, but I'm sure I didn't do it. I haven't been at my desk, so it's quite a mystery.
I did, just because I had not been able to get back to LV in the morning. Something came up, as always. So, I figured that I should get your name on there before someone else did. (Yes, I can be very mysterious sometimes!)
OK, thanks for letting me know that I'm not forgetting stuff I have done. Well, I do that anyway. :)
Now, on to figuring out a cover for this cold, drab, depressing story, which Kevin portrayed quite skillfully, I must say. Commendable job, Kevin. Another Hemingway in the can for you! :thumbs:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: March 30th, 2023, 7:56 pm
icequeen wrote: March 30th, 2023, 7:43 pm
OK, thanks for letting me know that I'm not forgetting stuff I have done. Well, I do that anyway. :)
Now, on to figuring out a cover for this cold, drab, depressing story, which Kevin portrayed quite skillfully, I must say. Commendable job, Kevin. Another Hemingway in the can for you! :thumbs:
Thank you. It is an odd story. It's both depressing and humorous (in an off-putting way, I think.) It is not Hemingway's best, but I am thankful you suggested it. The 'completionist' in me likes having it in the catalog.

I'm not sure I'll be around to do any more of his work.
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: March 30th, 2023, 8:19 pm I'm not sure I'll be around to do any more of his work.
Where you goin? Hopefully not out of the beanery into the cold dark night following some naked squaw down the railroad track with a papoose on her back!!!!! :shock:
When is the next book coming into the PD?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: March 30th, 2023, 8:33 pm
KevinS wrote: March 30th, 2023, 8:19 pm I'm not sure I'll be around to do any more of his work.
Where you goin? Hopefully not out of the beanery into the cold dark night following some naked squaw down the railroad track with a papoose on her back!!!!! :shock:
When is the next book coming into the PD?
Not too long off, really. A Farewell to Arms was published in 1929.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Only 21 months away! That will pass in a flash. :D