COMPLETE: The Black Buccaneer by Stephen W Meader -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

The Black Buccaneer, by Stephen W. Meader (1892 - 1977)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-black-buccaneer-by-stephen-w-meader/

Volunteers outside the USA: Stephen W. Meader died in 1977. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Pirates along the Atlantic coast in the 18th century. I'll tell you more after I read it :) (Summary by Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/28418

Target completion date: 2023-07-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure; Action & Adventure Fiction; Nautical & Marine Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, Atlantic, pirates

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Black Buccaneer. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Black Buccaneer, by Stephen W. Meader. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Black Buccaneer, by Stephen W. Meader. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Black Buccaneer, by Stephen W. Meader."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: blackbuccaneer_##_meader_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. blackbuccaneer_01_meader_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Is it OK for me to begin recording now, or do I need an official Librivox okee-dokee before I'm good to go?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You need an MC to pick it up - not me I'm afraid, it's not PD for me. Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Everything looks fine in the first post, and the text is confirmed to be PD. I think you can start recording, but you can't upload anything until you get an MC. :) (Not me, either, since it's not PD for me.)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Anything I need to do on my end to get an MC? I hope it's not like speed dating :) Plus, I'm wondering how a book can be Public Domain for some people, but not for others.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Nothing to do but wait. :)

Annise is in Australia, and I'm in Canada. Copyright laws are different for us than the USA.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Warren - I'm a little overbooked at the moment, but I'll MC for you.

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler. 

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. Your MW will be up shortly. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. 
Jo
Charlieh

Post by Charlieh »

I will be your dpl if you need.
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Thank you both, Jo and Charlie, for taking this on. Just seeing a "Black Buccaneer Magic Window" was a small thrill. I have logged in and have the instructions saved so they are ready when I need them.

Navigating the technical parts of all this is a challenge for me. Sometimes the terminology is confusing. When I think I am going to the "Section Compiler," I end up at the "Librivox Management Dashboard" instead. Are those two one and the same?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

The Librivox Management Dashboard is the behind the scenes workflow software.

There is more there than just the section compilers for the ongoing projects. All the database information on projects and readers, etc is there, but as a BC, all you need to worry about is the section compiler for your project, Warren. The rest is mainly MC only access for managing projects, etc.

To go directly to your section compiler, use the BC admin link that is right below the Magic Window in the top post of the thread. Now that you are a BC and hopefully not confuse you further, you can also login to the uploader with your new BC login instead of the general login for the uploader. Otherwise you need to logout of the uploader before you can login to your project(s) to edit the section compiler.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I've added Charlie as DPL. We are ready to move to Going Solo, but I will wait until you see this and my previous post, Warren.
Jo
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

When I click on the BC admin link (below the Magic Window), it takes me to the "Librivox Management Dashboard." I cannot find anything called "Section Compiler."
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Does Phil Chenevert have a video explaining how to do this? His videos were very helpful to me when I was just starting out.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

You have to setup a password and then login at the main LibriVox Management Dashboard. Step by step directions

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/Firsttimeaccessing_workflowsystem.pdf

Here is Phil's video which basically walks you through the above document.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cDPSmlTjGM&t=99s

Note: If you have uploaded files, first make sure you are logged out of the uploader before you start.
Jo
bergmannw

Post by bergmannw »

Thanks, Jo. That video from Phil C tells me how to set a password to access the LV Management Dashboard -- which I had already done. But at the end of that video, Phil says that he explains how to enter titles and add notes in a separate video. I'd ask him how to access that video, but I don't know how to reach him. Can you supply me with a link to the video he is referring to?