[GROUP] Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837 - dl

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837, by Commissioner of Indian Affairs
Because the US Constitution gives the power of relating to (and control over) Indian tribes, Congress requires updates every year, and those reports are available to the public. In 1837, the Office of Indian Affairs was still under the War Department and did not publish the Commissioner's report as a separate document. In this era of removal and the apparent growth of the Office of Indian Affairs, the focus is on reports from the agents regarding specific topics, along with instructions to the agents, laws and regulations, and numerous blank forms to be completed (lest we fall into the folly of thinking that bureaucracy generated less paperwork in the nineteenth century). The agents reported on the overall situation in their areas (including information about geography and climate), schools and education, and thoughts about what additional laws needed to be passed. Most of the authors of the individual sections are not recorded. Only a single section purports to be written by a Native tribe--a petition from the Shawnees. Keep in mind that these reports were written as argumentative or persuasive pieces. The reader should be alert to determine the problems about which they are arguing and their proposed solutions. The New York Public Library extracted these documents into a separate volume. The bibliographic information can be heard in Section 00. (Summary by stepheather)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nyp.33433081678918

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special--please read along and note any changes to the text that alter the meaning.
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: TIn2kzvu
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_of_Indian_Affairs (Commissioner of Indian Affairs)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 76
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1837
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: native american history, government reports, indian removal, shawnee tribe

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs
Notes to readers: Welcome to the project! The hope is that this is the secondof many projects reading these reports.

Please use the section names in the Magic Window when reading the section titles. Please let me know if there are any errors in the section titles!

Please read the footnotes at the location in the text where it makes the most sense to do so--sometimes that might be at the end of the sentence, but at other times, it may make sense right after the word as a clarification. Use the "footnote"/"end footnote" format.

Tables sections (see section notes)--I plan to read them if no one else wants to. In case there's a volunteer, though, I'd like to keep the information together by row (rather than by column), so you would read all the column headings, then the first row, reading the column heading along with the data wherever there is data (note there are a lot of blanks, and we'll just skip over those).

Forms sections (see section notes)--Again, I will read these if no one volunteers. They should be read much like the tables, using "blank" when there's a spot to write, e.g., the name of an Indian tribe. If you volunteer for any of these and are confused, please let me know and we can discuss a plan for that specific form. Why include them? Because I want to provide as much access a possible for people with visual impairments, and even if the layout of the form doesn't come through crystal clearly, it gives us an idea of WHAT information was being requested.

Do your best with the pronunciation. I don't have any resources lined up for the pronunciation of the names, although you are free to post some if you find any.
Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837, by the Commissioner of Indian Affairs. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837, by the Commissioner of Indian Affairs."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: annualreportdec1837_##_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. annualreportdec1837_01_commissionerofindianaffairs_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: aradlaw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm: ss). Watch this thread for proof listening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by stepheather on May 20th, 2023, 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Tricia MC'd the first report--I'm not sure if she'll want to continue with this lengthier one!

I've got a lot of the work for the MW done as soon as I get access; it just depends on getting time in front of the computer!

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi Stephanie, I can MC this for you. Be back with your MW. :)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

While we wait for a DPL, may I have sections 2 and 10 please?
*the text links in the MW all seem to take one back to the beginning of the document.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Hi, David,

Sure! I'll also finish filling in the MW as quickly as I can.

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Okay, I think the MW is finally squared away. Phew!
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Charlieh

Post by Charlieh »

I can proof listen this
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Thank you, Charlieh. I think that means we're ready to move over to Readers Wanted. I think the last one was listed in the Short Works forum, but I'll leave that up to you, David.

Thanks,
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Charlieh wrote: March 30th, 2023, 3:14 am I can proof listen this
Welcome Charlieh :D , you are down for CPL and have access to the MW. Here are the WIKI instructions for Prooflisteng. Just let us know if you need any help. :wink:
*Charlieh, there is a bit of reading to do to get up to speed on the PLing process and interacting with the Magic Window.

Now moving to Short Works.
David Lawrence

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

David Lawrence

stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Queued up for PL--thank you for getting us started off!

Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Hello, I can record section 18 - Document Number 15: Report of the Teacher at Prairie du Chien
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

DrSpoke wrote: April 18th, 2023, 11:07 am Hello, I can record section 18 - Document Number 15: Report of the Teacher at Prairie du Chien
Thanks! I'll go put the claim in the MW now.

Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Hi, David,

I went ahead and listened to Sec. 2 today since I reached out to Charlieh and haven't heard back. I know you've been waiting for quite a while! I'll try to get to the other section tomorrow if I can.

Thank you for reading this list! I know it's not fascinating, but I think it's useful to have the subdivisions of the documents.

Were you using the plain text view or the scanned page view? I noticed a few of the following were errors in the plain text view (e.g., the date error at 4:13). There were a few others I didn't list here, such as "Or" at the beginning of the titles for some of the tables. It should be "of," but it didn't seem significant enough to request an edit for those--just the items that were really confusing or drastically changed the meaning. I'm wondering if I need to specify to try to use the scanned page text or to at least double check it with that. (It may also not make such a big difference--or it might be more obvious to the reader--in the more narrative sections.)

I think most of these should be pretty quick to fix (hopefully).

1:50--you add a "two" before the subheading--I think maybe take this out
1:54--there's a "three" here that doesn't make sense--please remove it
2:43--you say "to Mr. Schoolcraft" but it's "of Mr. Schoolcraft"--I think changes the meaning significantly enough (it's written by him, not to him)
2:47--please remove "four"
2:51--please remove "five"
3:10--please remove "six"
3:15--please remove "seven"
3:55--you say "1936" instead of "1836" (in the title for item 29)
4:13--you say "1857" instead of "1837" (in the title for item 31)

Thanks!
Stephanie
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes