One Book a Week Club 2023

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Welcome to the LibriVox One Book a Week Club 2023, the post-pandemic edition * knock on wood *

Sign up and set your goal for 2023 - how many books do you want to read this year?
Or do you just skip the goals and read as you go?

Anything goes: novels, non-fiction, audio- or e-books...
Anytime goes: one per day/week/weekend/month/quarter...

Update your post with your latest read - or make a new post every book/month/quarter... If you like, you can give a rating or even a short synopsis too.

But most of all: Have fun! :D

This seems to be one of the oldest and longest going traditions on LibriVox. Threads from previous years are here - how do you compare? :wink:
2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Happy 2023 - year of the Rabbit. This is going to be my year. :mrgreen:

According to my records of last year, I've read 32 books in 2022. That's not overwhelming to be honest, looking back just 10 years to 2012, I read 85 books... Oh well, at least it's more than 2 books per month, and maybe this year will be more again? Sadly, I completely missed my goal of recording 4 solos for LV, but: new year, new start! Here's this year's breakdown:

"Real" books or ebooks :shock: for my own entertainment/edification/or for work:
1. The Diving Pool by Yoko Ogawa. Three short stories, pretty on the surface, but with something disturbing right underneath it...
2. The Freelance Writer’s Guide to Pitching with Confidence by Natasha Khullar-Relph. For work.
3. A Japanese Reader by Roy Andrew Miller. Graded lessons in Japanese kanji. I managed the basics so far, but I'll have to study more to proceed.
4. The Spirituality of Kintsugi by Hiroki Kiyokawa. Kintsugi means repairing ceramics with lacquer and gold; Kiyokawa is a master from Kyoto.
5. The Box Man by Kobo Abe. Surreal diary of a man walking around the city with a box over his head.
6. Shogun by A. L. Sadler. Biography of Tokugawa Ieyasu. Well written and interestingly gripping at times, despite the hundreds of names you have to remember.
7. The Heike Story by Eiji Yoshikawa. Modern version of a Japanese classic based on true events in the 12th century. It has its lengths, quite a few of them...
8. Der Tod des Teemeisters by Yasushi Inoue. Reread from 10 years ago; and I've apparently learned so much about tea ceremony, that the book now makes so much more sense than before.
9. Rain in the Wind by Saiichi Maruya. Four okay-ish short stories; the last one about wandering priest/poet Santoku still stays with me, though.
10. Japanese Literature in Review by Donald Richie. Talks about Japanese authors (whose books were translated into English) from the Heian era to modern times.
11. Nip the Buds Shoot the Kids by Kenzaburo Oe. Tragic story about a group of youth in WWII.
12. Geisha Gangster Neighbor Nun by Donald Richie. Short portraits of Japanese people, from the famous to the unknown. Brilliantly written.
13. The Catch and Other War Stories. Anthology of 4 stories, the first one (by Kenzaburo Oe) is noteworthy, the others fell flat for me.
14. The Office of Gardens and Ponds by Didier Decoin. Set in Heian-era Japan and sadly, absolutely disappointing. Won the "Bad Sex in Fiction Award 2017" - deservedly.
15. Introduction to Communication for Japanese Students by Kevin Hefferman. Aspects of intercultural communication with focus on Japanese-Western interactions. Very interesting.
16. M is for Magic by Neil Gaiman. "Stories for younger readers", but I enjoyed them just as much, some themes in the stories are only interesting for adults I'd say.
17. Death in Midsummer and Other Stories by Yukio Mishima. He's best when describing settings and landscapes, people's emotions - not so much. Still, a fabulous writer.
18. Five Women Who Loved Love by Ihara Saikaku. Sensual love stories penned in 17th century Japan with mostly tragic endings.
19. The Life of an Amorous Man by Ihara Saikaku. Bio of a rich man who spends all his money in the pleasure districts of 17th century Japan.
20. Shunga - Erotic Art in Japan by Regina Buckland. Interesting book with large illustrations that include a "what to look out for" in the pictures.
21. Thinner by R. Bachmann aka Stephen King. Somebody is losing weight rapidly because of a curse, and is ready to sacrifice everything to get it taken off. Or is he?
22. The Showa Anthology by various. Short stories from 1925 - 1989 by Japanese authors ranging from the super famous to the never-heard-of. Can recommend.
23. Bullet Train by Kotaro Isaka. Fast paced killer-thriller with too many deaths, but a satisfying comeuppance for the right person at the end.

Audiobooks FROM LibriVox for my own entertainment/edification on commutes and during housework:
1. The Sheridan Road Mystery by Paul and Mabel Thorne. Gangsters in old Chicago. And a nice twist in the end.
2. Stories of Inventors by Russell Doubleday. Short biographies, and some chapters also go into details how things work - phones or typesetting machines for example.
3. The Highest Treason by Randall Garrett. Sci-Fi where the traitor gets what he wants at the end - and saves his planet after all.
4. Die Entfuehrung von Joseph von Eichendorff. Old-fashioned story with happy ending for the right people set in France of Louis XV.

Audiobooks FOR LibriVox for my own entertainment/edification and possibly that of others:
1. The Lost Oases by Ahmed Hassanein. Great travelogue of a camel caravan through the Sahara. DPL'ed for Steven Seitel.
2. The Revolutions of Civilization by Flinders Petrie. Interesting comparison between ancient cultures, mostly based on their art. DPL'ed for Leon Harvey (niobium)
3. The Principles of Secularism by George Holyoake. Does what it says in the title; from 1871.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
zachh

Post by zachh »

I'd like to join the one-a-week club, and should be able to average at least that much since audiobooks count. I spend several hours a day in the workshop and mostly listen to LibriVox books on my earmuffs during that time, though sometimes music or radio instead. My goals for recording are at least 1-1/2 books, and perhaps as any as 2-1/2. I have to do the second half of my current solo, and then would like to do one this winter/spring and I hope another in the fall. Thank you for hosting this group, it's a very nice idea.

January:
LV listens:
Ring For Nancy by Ford Madox Ford
The Midnight Passenger by Richard Henry Savage
The Port Of Missing Men by Meredith Nicholson
The Tyranny Of The Dark by Hamlin Garland
Alice Adams by Booth Tarkington
At The Foot Of The Rainbow by Gene Stratton Porter

Non LV audiobooks:
The Leper Of Saint Giles and The Virgin In The Ice, both by Ellis Peters

Books read:
Believing Is Seeing by Joanna Hoyt
Close Range by Annie Proulx

February:
LV listens:
David Poindexter’s Disappearance And Other Stories by Julian Hawthorne
Fables by Robert Louis Stevenson
Lady Rose’s Daughter by Mary Augusta Ward
The Country Of The Blind And Other Stories by H. G. Wells
The Courtship of Susan Bell by Anthony Trollope
The House Without A Key by Earl Derr Biggers
The Sheridan Road Mystery by Paul and Mabel Thorne
The Conquest of Canaan by Booth Tarkington

Books read:
Accordion Crimes by Annie Proulx
Beware Of God by Shalom Auslander

March LV listens:
The Haunted Island by E.H. Visiak
The Quest For The Rose Of Sharon by Burton Egbert Stevenson
The Soft Side by Henry James
The History Of The Johnstown Flood by Willis Fletcher Johnson
The Dorrington Deed Box by Arthur Morrison
Something New by P. G. Wodehouse
The Fellowship Of The Frog by Edgar Wallace
The Guest of Quesnay by Booth Tarkington

March books read: Wilderness Tips, and The Blind Assassin, both by Margaret Atwood

April LV listens:
The House On The Scar by Bertha Thomas
The Wooden Horse by Hugh Walpole
Men Without Women by Ernest Hemingway
Romance by Joseph Conrad and Ford Madox Ford
The Apartment Next Door by William Johnson

April books read:
D-Day Girls by Sarah Rose
The Eighth Champion Of Christendom
Reluctant Odyssey
Warfare Accomplished (all three by Edith Pargeter)
Dancing Girls by Margaret Atwood
Coot Club by Arthur Ransome
Old Babes In The Wood by Margaret Atwood

My first LV reading of 2023 completed: The Small Bachelor by P. G. Wodehouse

May LV listens:

The Freelands by John Galsworthy
The Little Room And Other Stories by Madeline Yale Wynne
William, An Englishman by Cecily Hamilton
Death Comes For The Archbishop by Willa Cather
The Celestial Omnibus by E.M. Forster

June LV listens:
Colin by E.F. Benson
Follies In Fiction by Stephen Leacock
Light Freights by W. W. Jacobs
Surprise House by Abbie Farwell Brown
The Isle Of Lost Ships by Crittenden Marriott
The Terriford Mystery by Marie Belloc Lowndes
The Thirteenth Letter by Natalie Sumner Lincoln
The Viaduct Murder by Ronald Knox
Visible And Invisible by E.F. Benson

Books read:
High Tide At Noon by Elisabeth Ogilvie
Storm Tide by Elisabeth Ogilvie
Building by Mark Ellison

July LV listens:
The Mystery Of A Hansom Cab by Fergus Hume
Studies In Love And Terror by Marie Belloc Lowndes
The Lodger by Marie Belloc Lowndes
The Mantle and Other Stories by Nikolai Gogol
Christopher Junior by Madeleine Lucette Ryley
In The North Woods Of Maine by Elmer Erwin Thomas
North By Night by Peter Burchard
The Club Of Masks by Allen Upward
The Grim Thirteen by various

Books read:
Woodswoman by Anne LaBastille
To Name The Bigger Lie by Sarah Viren

August LV listens:
The Road by Hillaire Belloc
At The Mountains Of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft
Kidnapped In London by Sun Yat-Sen
Madam Crowl’s Ghost and Other Tales of Mystery by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
The Island Pharisees by John Galsworthy
The House By The Churchyard by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
The After House by Mary Roberts Rinehart

August book:
A High Wind In Jamaica by Richard Hughes

September LV listens:
The Wyvern Mystery by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
The Three Taps by Ronald Knox
At The Villa Rose by A.E.W. Mason
Breaking Winnie by Carl Webster Pierce
The Tower Treasure by Franklin W. Dixon
The Moving Finger by Natalie Sumner Lincoln

Books read:
Five Tuesdays In Winter by Lily King
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

October LV listens:
Parnassus On Wheels by Christopher Morley
Stellamaris by William John Locke
The Cinema Of Orson Welles by Peter Bogdanovich
The Great Return by Arthur Machen
The Mystery At Lover’s Cave by Anthony Berkeley
The Souls Of The Streets by Arthur Ransome
Viviette by William John Locke
A Strange Disappearance by Anna Katherine Green
The Judgment Of Eve by May Sinclair
A Town Is Drowning by Frederik Pohl and C. M. Kornbluth
Bernice by Susan Glaspell
The Chateau D’Or by Mary Jane Holmes

October books read:
The Heaven And Earth Grocery Store by James McBride
Bluebeard's Egg by Margaret Atwood

November LV listens:
Kathleen by Christopher Morley
Incredible Adventures by Algernon Blackwood
The Beautiful Lady by Booth Tarkington
Nightmare by Cornell Woolrich
The Bridal Wreath by Sigrid Undset

November books read:
This Other Eden by Paul Harding
Apeirogon by Colum McCann
Trans-Atlantic by Colum McCann
Let The Great World Spin by Colum McCann
The Beekeeper Of Aleppo by Christie Lefteri
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

December LV listens:
The Ghost Beyond The Gate by Mildred A Wirt
The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley
Bullet Proof by Frank Kane
Idols by William John Locke
The Crimson Patch by Augusta Huiell Seaman
The Cry At Midnight by Mildred A Wirt
The Door With Seven Locks by Edgar Wallace
The Irtonwood Ghost by Elinor Glyn
The Lady Of The Barge by W. W. Jacobs
The Monster and Other Stories by Stephen Crane

December books read:
From A Far And Lovely Country by Alexander McCall Smith
All The Time In The World by E. L. Doctorow

Second (and last) completed solo for 2023: The Midlander by Booth Tarkington
Last edited by zachh on January 1st, 2024, 6:42 am, edited 14 times in total.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Only 34 books last year on the 2022 List -- nowhere near as many as in past years. Life in 2022 has been too busy - (working two jobs, often at work all 7 days in a week) - so little time to read. Even more so than the previous year, I've turned more to audiobooks than to paper books, because they can be listened to while driving or doing chores. Only one single LV participation entry in my 2022 list. Unfortunately, my latest solo has languished untouched for months. And for the first time since I've been at LV, I missed out on contributing to either the 2022 Anniversary Collection or the 2022 Christmas Collection. Looking back on 2022, I say "Thank goodness we have audiobooks, or I wouldn't be reading anything!" AND "Here's hoping that I can get back to contributing something at LV in 2023!"

So here we go, 2023 List is now about to begin!

Paper Books Read from Library --

Books Read From My Own Bookshelves --
1. How to Lie With Statistics by Darrell Huff

Library Audiobooks Listened to --

LibriVox Audiobooks Listened to --

Books Contributed to and then Listened to at LibriVox --
Last edited by commonsparrow3 on January 4th, 2023, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

commonsparrow3 wrote: January 1st, 2023, 1:50 pm Only 34 books last year on the 2022 List -- nowhere near as many as in past years. Life in 2022 has been too busy - (working two jobs, often at work all 7 days in a week)
Hello Maria. Hadn't seen any posts by you in a while. Good to know that you're still around! :thumbs:
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I'll set my goal at 50 books again. I didn't quite reach it last year. This year I have one specific goal: read one of the pretty coffee table books I buy, then glance through and put away. Well, they're just $2 at the local library book sale, so I can't resist! :)

HopesUnicorn

Post by HopesUnicorn »

I would like to join the Club!

I'll set a goal of 50 as I work at a fulfillment center and my days are 10 hours long and I have nothing to ease the monotony except that of audiobooks.
I want to add a snippet of what I thought about each and I will include: Title, author, my snippet of what I thought, and the genre.

Tag legend for me because my memory is horrible and I like to keep things conformed.
(YA=Young adult | NSFKs=Not Safe for Kids but not really NSFW | Ks=Okay for Kids and all readers)

Previous books listened to on Scribd in December 2022:

Finn by Stephen King (NSFKs)
-This was a really good listen and very short. I was impressed that King could write something so short!

The Clackity by Lora Senf (YA)
-To confess, I was very confused at first, but it all came out okay and I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill (YA)
-I loved this book. It was so... entrancing. I... did not cry. I promise...

101 Amazing Facts About Horses by Robert Jenson (Ks)
-There were a few wrong "facts" but the book was a good listen!

The Day I Fell into a Fairytale by Ben Miller (Ks)
-Quite a listen, I do say so. It was a fun little story and I liked the ending a lot.

Mary Magdalene by Taylor Diana Wallis (YA)
-My heart.

A Nameless Witch by A. Lee Martinez (YA)
-I'm surprised it was in YA but I absolutely enjoyed this book. I really did.

Books of January 2023:

House 23 By ___ (Sus) Not Finished

Gil's All Fright Diner by __ (YA Fant) Not Finished

Collection of 7 H.P. Lovecraft stories by H.P. Lovecraft (From LibriVox, found on Scribd) Not Finished

Mastermind of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Voiced by our own Joe DeNoia. (Sci-Fi) 01/06/23
-A marvelous listen and a great story. Immortality is the want of many but the downfall of all.

The Devil-Ray by Joel Martin Nichols Jr.
Voiced by our own Ben Tucker (flavo5000) (Sci-Fi) 01/11/23
-A lost mind gains a father. Heroes among men. Quite the short story. I enjoyed listening to it.

Books of February 2023:

Books of March 2023:

Books of April 2023:

Books of May 2023:

Books of June 2023:

Books of July 2023:

Books of August 2023:

Books of September 2023:

Books of October 2023:

Books of November 2023:

Books of December 2023:
Last edited by HopesUnicorn on January 11th, 2023, 8:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Things I'm working on:
Editing: None.
Recording: Soldiers | Super Secret Solo Project
Fixing: None
I will PL for you if it is ready. Just pm me a link to the thread.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yay, new book post!

Last year, I read 75 books. I had been hoping to match the 76 I read in 2021. Drat. At least I was close. I also completed a reading challenge that had been posted by my favorite podcast. So I'm pretty happy with my reading last year. This year, I'm doing another reading challenge from the same podcast, but I don't think I'll be posting about this one. Well, maybe I'll put (challenge book) next to the titles or something like that.

No goal, except to complete that challenge aforementioned. Well, actually, I take that back. My goal is to have nothing listed under Abandoned at the end of the year. That's not to say that I'll force myself to finish a book I'm not enjoying. It just means I'm going to try very hard not to pick up a book I won't like. Wish me luck!

Current reads (I am not a book monogamist):
  • Heather and Snow, by George MacDonald. PLing this one for HannahMary. She's doing a great job!
  • Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset. This comes highly recommended to me from people whose opinions I respect.
  • Watership Down, by Richard Adams. Reading this for the umpteenth time. My favorite!
  • The Ethics of Beauty, by Timothy Patitsas. Nonfiction, exploring ethics and trauma through a "Beauty-first" approach, as opposed to a rationalistic, Truth-first method.
  • Hamlet, by William Shakespeare. With notes and commentary by George MacDonald!
  • Paradise Lost, by John Milton. I've attempted this once before, but I don't think I got past Book 2. I'm determined to finish this time!
  • Dormant, by Edith Nesbit. DPLing for this too. I'm only a couple of chapters in, but loving it so far!
  • Till We Have Faces, by C.S. Lewis. A many-times-over reread. This book is amazing.
  • Dracula, by Bram Stoker. Reading this aloud with my husband. I love this book, and I'm excited to share it with him.
  • The Last Man, by Mary Shelley. Only a few chapters in so far.
  • The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. I found a gorgeous old copy of this book and I couldn't resist starting in on it.
Finished:
  1. Within and Without, by George MacDonald. A dramatic poem. Currently running in Dramatic Works! This was a really moving story that went to some unexpected places.
  2. The Italian, by Ann Radcliffe. Really yummy Gothic novel!
  3. The Cloister and the Hearth, by Charles Reade. The best book I've read in a long time. I think Reade is a new favorite of mine. This book has everything! I can't praise it highly enough.
  4. A Modest Meane to Mariage, by Erasmus. Reading The Cloister and the Hearth got me interested in Erasmus. (It's a fictionalized account of his birth.) So to help me combat the book hangover from that one, I found and read this. I liked it!
  5. The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, by Catherynne M. Valente. Second in a series. I enjoyed the book, but sadly, the ending killed it for me. I don't think I'll finish the series.
  6. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon. I didn't like it. I think it reinforces harmful stereotypes of autistic people.
  7. Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo. I loved this book so much that I pressured my husband into reading it with me. We both loved it and were sad when it ended.
  8. The Mysteries of Udolpho, by Ann Radcliffe. Loved this one. Such a well-constructed story.
  9. The Old English Baron, by Clara Reeve. Continuing my Gothic exploration. This one was really fun.
  10. Othello, by William Shakespeare. My first time with this play. Iago is the quintessential villain.
  11. Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen. This was a reread, for a book club.
  12. Poetics, by Aristotle. Never thought I would be reading this, but my favorite podcast covered it, so I plowed through!
  13. 101 Dalmatians, by Dodie Smith. The original novel. I LOVED it. So much.
  14. The History of the Caliph Vathek, by William Beckford. This was a weird book. Very weird. It felt a little bit like a fever dream.
  15. Studies in the Fairy Mythology of Arthurian Romance, by Lucy Allen Paton. I DPLed for this solo by the indomitable Kitty. This was a scholarly work, and very interesting!
  16. On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, by Andrew Peterson. First book in the Wingfeather saga, which everyone keeps raving about. I've heard that the first book is not great (I agree), but that the series gets better after that and is totally worth it for the payoff. So I will keep going.
  17. The Place of the Lion, by Charles Williams. I bought this as a gift, but I had to read it first! :mrgreen: Really good book.
  18. The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton. My first time reading this book. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I went through it pretty quickly, though, and I feel like the story might be one that stays with me and grows on me.
  19. Death Comes for the Archbishop, by Willa Cather. This book was not what I expected, but I enjoyed it!
  20. The Road, by Hilaire Belloc. Fascinating book about the history and developments of roads, and the English road system in particular.
  21. North! or Be Eaten, by Andrew Peterson. Second of the Wingfeather saga. So far, it's pretty ok.
  22. The House of the Seven Gables, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. This book was described to me as "American Gothic," and it did not disappoint! What a fantastic climax.
  23. The Medieval Mind of C.S. Lewis, by Jason Baxter. A look at how Lewis's mind and imagination were shaped by the medieval texts he immersed himself in, and how they came out in his own writing.
  24. On the Spectrum, by Daniel Bowman, Jr. By an autistic author, this book talks about the intersection between autism, the arts, and the Christian faith.
  25. Leisure the Basis of Culture, by Joseph Pieper. A philosophical look at the idea of what constitutes work and leisure. Are they really the same thing? If not, what are they? Can and should they be balanced, or is leisure just another word for laziness? I really loved this!
  26. I Overcame Autism and All I Got Was This Lousy Anxiety Disorder, by Sarah Kurchak. Also by an autistic adult. It's definitely--grittier, shall we say?--than the book two entries up. It was very good, but with a much different feel.
  27. Melmoth the Wanderer, by Charles Robert Maturin. A very long and rambling Gothic narrative, with multiple stories nested within one another, and a deal-with-the-devil sort of theme running through it. I liked it.
  28. The Monster in the Hollows, by Andrew Peterson. The third Wingfeather book. The ending really got me. Looking forward to the next one.
  29. The Code of the Woosters, by P.G. Wodehouse. This is my first Wodehouse. I knew I would get to him one day, and he's just as funny as you've been told. If not more so.
  30. The Warden and the Wolf King, by Andrew Peterson. The fourth and final Wingfeather book. Overall, I liked the series, but it won't become a favorite for me.
  31. Coraline, by Neil Gaiman. I loved the movie and knew I needed to read the book. Both are absolute works of art.
  32. The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. This was really cute. I don't know how I missed it as a child, but better late than never.
  33. The Word is Murder, by Anthony Horowitz. Fun little murder mystery that kept me guessing.
  34. Cloud Cuckoo Land, by Anthony Doerr. This one blew my mind in all the best ways. Really good.
  35. The Witch of Blackbird Pond, by Elizabeth George Speare. A cute middle grade book, just for fun.
  36. House of Leaves, by Mark Danielewski. This book is strange. I don't know what else to say about it. Oh, except that it's also R- or even X-rated. I mostly skimmed over those parts. Could have done without them, truly. I liked parts of it.
  37. The Two Gentlemen of Verona, by William Shakespeare. I am joining a group readalong through all of Shakespeare's works in a little over a year's time. This will be a broad overview of his works. I'm excited!
  38. Literary Pilgrimages of a Naturalist, by Winthrop Packard. I found this one to be meh.
  39. The Comedy of Errors, by William Shakespeare.
  40. Piers Plowman, by William Langland. I DPLed this and really enjoyed it. I don't think I understood it well, but it was good as an introduction.
  41. Titus Andronicus, by William Shakespeare.
  42. Bleak House, by Charles Dickens. This was lovely. Dickens is such a master.
  43. The Man Who Was Thursday, by G.K. Chesterton. This is a great book, and I very much enjoyed the new DR of it.
  44. Love and Freindship, by Jane Austen. Oh, Jane. You were so young. And so snarky. And I am here for it.
  45. Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson. This was fun. The ending caught me off guard.
  46. Venus and Adonis, by William Shakespeare.
  47. The Forgotten Door, by Alexander Key. A kid's book that I read and liked when I was a kid, but I couldn't remember the name of it. It wasn't as good as I remembered it, not by a long shot. But I was glad to rediscover it and get a chance to reread it.
  48. The Rape of Lucrece, by William Shakespeare.
  49. Hannah Coulter, by Wendell Berry. This was a gift. I wish I could have enjoyed it more. I liked the first half or so. The second half didn't keep my attention as much, but I liked the ending a lot.
  50. Love's Labour's Lost, by William Shakespeare.
  51. Idylls of the King, by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. I loved this. I was disappointed to discover, however, that my copy omits a couple of sections.
  52. Turtles All the Way Down, by John Green. This was not what I was expecting it to be. I didn't particularly enjoy it.
  53. Babe: The Gallant Pig, by Dick King-Smith. I wanted to read this because I love the movie so much. The book is equally perfect. :9:
  54. The Life and Death of King John, by William Shakespeare.
  55. The Educated Imagination, by Northrop Frye. A book on the importance of literature by one of the best literary critics of the 20th century.
  56. Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare.
  57. A Midsummer Night's Dream, by William Shakespeare.
  58. Rob Roy, by Sir Walter Scott. I enjoyed this. The ending was a pleasant surprise.
  59. The King of the Golden River, by John Ruskin. A short and sweet literary fairy tale.
  60. The Marquis of Lossie, by George MacDonald. My current solo, and the sequel to my last solo, Malcolm. The project is not finished yet, but the recording (finally!) is. So I'm counting the book as finished, although the project is not.
  61. The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate, by Ted Chiang. A really beautiful short book. Only 60 pages, but it packs a punch!
  62. What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! by Agatha Christie. A fun little murder mystery. I certainly didn't see the end coming, not that I ever try too hard to figure these things out. Quite a good one.
  63. Annals of a Quiet Neighbourhood, by George MacDonald. Well, this is awkward. My book group was reading The Seaboard Parish, but I read this one instead by accident. Loved it, though! So I kept on after I realized my mistake. :lol:
  64. Richard II, by William Shakespeare.
  65. Reflections on the Psalms, by C.S. Lewis. This was a really good one. It had been many years since I had read it.
  66. Henry IV, Part One, by William Shakespeare.
  67. The Halloween Tree, by Ray Bradbury. This one was really fun! Very dream-like, with lots of spooky images. A wild ride.
  68. Henry IV, Part Two, by William Shakespeare.
  69. Pearl, by Unknown (Tolkien translation). This is a beautiful Middle English poem. I attempted to read it in Middle English, but it defeated me, so I turned to Tolkien. One day I will know enough to be able to read the original. Anyway, this is fabulous.
  70. The Seaboard Parish, by George MacDonald. Well, I finished, but not in time to discuss it with my book group. I enjoyed it nonetheless.
  71. The Merry Wives of Windsor, by William Shakespeare.
  72. Farmer Giles of Ham, by J.R.R. Tolkien. A fun and whimsical adventure story. I recommend it.
  73. Henry V, by William Shakespeare.
  74. Henry VI, Part One, by William Shakespeare.
  75. Henry VI, Part Two, by William Shakespeare.
  76. Henry VI, Part Three, by William Shakespeare.
  77. The Rehearsal, by George Villiers. This play was hilarious, and I enjoyed being DPL for it.
  78. Confessions, by St. Augustine. This was a slog at times, and yet I really enjoyed it.
  79. Evangeline, by H.W. Longfellow. What a beautiful poem this was.
  80. Richard III, by William Shakespeare. Reading the history plays in order like this was quite a ride! The ending of this one was so satisfying after all of that!
  81. The Man Born to be King, by Dorothy Sayers. A series of radio plays on the life of Christ. This was awesome.
  82. Sir Gibbie, by George MacDonald. Read aloud with my husband.
  83. Far Above Rubies, by George MacDonald. Reread for book club.
  84. The Merchant of Venice, by William Shakespeare. This is a standout Shakespeare play. I loved it, a lot.
  85. Catriona, by Robert Louis Stevenson. Sequel to Kidnapped. I'll be honest, it was a bit of a slog.
  86. Letters to Children, by C.S. Lewis. What a delight.
  87. Carmilla, by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. Getting back to that list of Gothic novels I wandered away from earlier this year.
  88. The Golden Fleece, and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles, by Padraic Column. This is the last book to finish up my reading challenge for the year! It was fantastic.
  89. The Mind of the Maker, by Dorothy Sayers. This was a challenging book, but I enjoyed it.
  90. The Eye of the World, by Robert Jordan. Oops, I accidentally started a reread of a more than 10,000-page series. Welp. Can't stop now!
  91. Over Sea, Under Stone, by Susan Cooper. I technically finished this about two hours into 2024, but I'm confusing it for 2023, since I hadn't slept yet. (I mean, I would have finished it in 2023 if my husband and friends hadn't insisted on watching a movie and being sociable... :wink: )
Abandoned:
stepheather

Post by stepheather »

Oh, I like clubs. And I like books. I’ll post as I finish books, and make up the categories then. :lol:

There are a couple I’m very close to finishing—that I obviously started in 2022! (Well, I guess it’s not obvious, but if you knew my day yesterday it would be!)

Audiobooks
Orpheus C Kerr Papers Vol 1 by Henry Newell (finished in Jan.)

Hardcopy
Ephesians

Hoopla borrows
The Warlords of Nin by Stephen Lawhead (finished in Jan.)
The Sword and the Flame by Stephen Lawhead (Jan.–Feb.)

Internet Archive
Deadlock by Sean Black (Mar.)

Kindle (owned)
Lockdown by Sean Black (Feb.–Mar.)

Kindle Unlimited borrows
Oisinson by E.J. Lowell (Feb.)

Project Gutenberg
A Room with a View by E. M. Forster (finished in Jan.)
Last edited by stepheather on March 24th, 2023, 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--Stephanie

Current solo:
Life among the Piutes

Native American history--Come read about removal plans, education, and laws:
Annual Report of the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, December 1837
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Solamente he leido un libro en 2023 hasta ahora:

1) Violeta, de Isabel Allende. (Muy buen regalo de Navidad que me ayudo a sobrevivir un tratamiento dental. :D ) Personalmente pienso que la autora esta aplicando una receta, pero funciona en cuanto es una historia entretenida. A traves de la narracion se deja entrever un periodo de la historia de Chile.
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I just realized that I haven't posted anything for this year. Here are the books I've read in January and February:

January 2023:

"The Copper Peacock and Other Short Stories" by Ruth Rendell. Stories read on BBC Radio. Well done. Some very entertaining
"Twixt Land and Sea" by Joseph Conrad. LibriVox reading by Peter Dann (TheBanjo) Good stories by Conrad. “The Secret Sharer” was an odd one. Did the secret person actually exist? Conrad’s writing sometimes reminds me of a kaleidoscope. Grear job, as always, by Mr. Dann.
"Strangers on a Train" by Patricia Highsmith. Library audiobook download. Excellent novel that was the basis of the early 1950’s Alfred Hitchcock movie. Excellent reading by Bronson Pinchot

February 2023:

"West With Giraffes" by Lynda Rutledge. Kindle E-book. Very good novel, based on true incident of giraffes being shipped across country in 1938 to San Diego zoo.
"His Family" by Ernest Poole. E-book Good book. Pulitzer prize winning novel of 1918. Novel about a man in his 60s reflecting on the changes of society through observation of his three grown daughters. Read book as part of the local library challenge of reading a book each month from each 20th century decade (I missed January’s 1900-1909 book)
"1961" by Peter Dann. Kindle e-book. First novel written by LibriVox narrator TheBanjo. Good book.
"Black Rain" by Masuji Ibuse. hardback book from library sale. This novel centers around the story of a young woman who was caught in the radioactive “black rain” that fell after the bombing of Hiroshima. The author based the book on real-life diaries and interviews with victims of that holocaust. Very good book, but rough reading at times.

ej400

Post by ej400 »

My only Librivox goal would be to finish my "The Life of Washington" solo this year (maybe), and maybe begin on my upcoming solo about Napoleon Bonaparte.

Other than that, I'd like to read the hobbit series, and a few other books that are on my bookshelf at home.
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Update

I've finished two Spenser novels by Ace Atkins. They read fast:

Little White Lies

Angel Eyes

I listened to Quilts, Their Story and How to Make Them by Marie D. Webster, a Librivox project read by MaryAnn. Quilts as a window onto the past. Informative, pleasant and soothing.

El Mundo Perdido, de Arthur Conan Doyle. Tuve el gusto de revisar el audio de estas aventuras clasicas que no pasan de moda, en la voz de Victor Villarraza.
Jasna

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Actualizacion/Update

( Por favor disculpen la falta de acentos!)

- Leyendas Historicas Mexicanas, de Heriberto Frias. Proyecto colaborativo de Librivox. Estos fascinantes relatos breves nos introducen al Mexico antiguo y a la vision del mundo que tenian sus pueblos originarios. Historias bellas y terribles, plenas de colorido.

- La casa de vapor, de Julio Verne. Proyecto colaborativo de Librivox. Aventuras en la India, con un toque steampunk.

- Cheap Shot. Another Spenser story by Ace Atkins, this is a quick read, true to the tradition of a highly likable protagonist and a highly impossible plot.

- Uncle Wiggily's Airship.: Bedtime Stories, by Howard Garis, Librivox project. Entertaining tales for the younger ones.

- Bannertail: The Story of a Graysquirrel, by Ernest Thompson Seton. Another Librivox Project. An orphaned squirrel learns to survive and becomes the founder of a lineage of smart squirrels in the woods of Jersey. Very interesting descriptions of the relationship of these small animals and their environment.

Currently reading:

- Galileo's' error, by Philip Goff. The book explores the different answers to the question of the nature of consciousness, arguing that consciousness is a quality of matter. Thought provoking.

- Tulsa Race Riot: A Report by the Oklahoma Commission to Study the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921. A Librivox Project. This 2001 report presents a variety of information sources that reconstruct the events of 1921 and the way they were dealt with (or not) in the following decades.
Last edited by Dulcamara on June 7th, 2023, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasna

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

It's past mid May and I'm just now posting my books for March and April. On March 31 a tornado hit our area, knocking out electricity for a couple of weeks (we do have a portable generator, which helped a lot) Internet was out for a month, so online activity was limited to the cell phone. Books read in March and April were:

March 2023
"The King of Schnorrs" by Irsael Zangwill. LibriVox book excellently read by Adrian Praetzellis. Very entertaining, short novel about a “king of the beggars.”
"The Fascinating Stranger and Other Stories" by Booth Tarkington. E book. Good, entertaining stories from the 1920s.

April 2023
"Lost Horizons" by James Hilton. Book. Very good. Also read this years ago.
"Some Do Not" by Ford Maddox Ford. LibriVox recording by Peter Dann :thumbs:

Hope to get May's books posted in early June.