[RELIGIOUS HISTORY] Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States, by B. F. Morris - tg

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States, by Benjamin Franklin Morris
(Summary by )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.google.com/books/edition/Christian_Life_and_Character_of_the_Civi/9R1cAAAAcAAJ

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History; *Non-fiction/Philosophy
Keywords that describe the book:
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States, by Benjamin F. Morris. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States, by Benjamin F. Morris."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: christiancharacterunitedstates_##_morris_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. christiancharacterunitedstates_01_morris_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by progressingamerica on March 27th, 2023, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
progressingamerica

I can BC this if you aren't planning on doing it yourself.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

Are you planning on coordinating this group project yourself? That's a huge undertaking, for someone who has only done the 1-minute test. :hmm:

Please read over this wiki page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=How_To_Become_A_Book_Coordinator
On that page is a link to the BC Readiness Quiz, which will help you gauge if you're ready to shepherd a group project. :)

If you decide not to BC this, we could either move it to Book Suggestions (that's where - well, where book suggestions go), or we can transfer this to ProgressingAmerica as per the post above mine.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
spotscope121

Post by spotscope121 »

Yes, I would appreciate the assistance. I will just take a couple sections for now.
progressingamerica

TriciaG wrote: March 19th, 2023, 6:05 amWelcome!

Are you planning on coordinating this group project yourself? That's a huge undertaking, for someone who has only done the 1-minute test. :hmm:

Please read over this wiki page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=How_To_Become_A_Book_Coordinator
On that page is a link to the BC Readiness Quiz, which will help you gauge if you're ready to shepherd a group project. :)

If you decide not to BC this, we could either move it to Book Suggestions (that's where - well, where book suggestions go), or we can transfer this to ProgressingAmerica as per the post above mine.
You can transfer it to me, I'll make sure it gets complete and help if any questions need to be answered.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm full up on MC projects, so I won't be MC'ing it at this time. Another MC should come along and set this up. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up.

I've changed the first post to be progressingamerica's - so you can edit it as you wish.

I suggest shortening the file name, but I'm not sure what to suggest. :hmm: christiancharacterunitedstates?

Are you going to DPL?
progressingamerica

TriciaG wrote: March 27th, 2023, 6:31 am OK, this is set up.

I've changed the first post to be progressingamerica's - so you can edit it as you wish.

I suggest shortening the file name, but I'm not sure what to suggest. :hmm: christiancharacterunitedstates?

Are you going to DPL?
Thanks. I'll need the assistance of a DPL, and I think your file name suggestion is good. I'll use that. :-)

I'll start getting the MW setup.
progressingamerica

MW should be ready. Some chapters are nearly 100 pages long with the last chapter being over 150. I added sections for those to split them up. There may need to be additional sections still.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you have readers say "section" in the intros/outros, the number of sections will need to be solidified now. It's too painful to insert sections after audios for later sections have already come in, because the section numbers get messed up. (And it's a lesser problem in the file names for submitted sections, too - but those are easier to fix than people having to re-record intros.)

I highly recommend splitting the chapters that are 10,000 words or over now, rather than later.

Are you going to provide starting and stopping points for the divided chapters? Otherwise readers won't know what to read. :)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

If it's useful information, I have calculated that the average low-speed reader can do 9000 words in the 74 minutes that LV allows. But at the same time, most don't want to - the preference is for 20-30 minute recordings. So breaking chapters into 2000-4000 word sections is best received, with an upper limit of 5000 words. Those 10,000 word chapters could be neatly broken in half :)
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL DPL 43 27-28
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi guys,

Might I jump in early and claim Sections 1 and 4? This sounds like my kind of book. Two of my favorite subjects, God and American History.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
progressingamerica

TriciaG wrote: March 28th, 2023, 9:18 amI highly recommend splitting the chapters that are 10,000 words or over now, rather than later.

Are you going to provide starting and stopping points for the divided chapters? Otherwise readers won't know what to read. :)
InTheDesert wrote: March 28th, 2023, 7:23 pm If it's useful information, I have calculated that the average low-speed reader can do 9000 words in the 74 minutes that LV allows. But at the same time, most don't want to - the preference is for 20-30 minute recordings. So breaking chapters into 2000-4000 word sections is best received, with an upper limit of 5000 words. Those 10,000 word chapters could be neatly broken in half :)
Thanks, both. I split the sections up below 4000 words, I'll start identifying the breaking points per section tonight and tomorrow morning.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll go ahead and move this to Readers Wanted. Readers can start in on the undivided sections while you work out the starting/stopping points for the divided ones. 8-)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Let me start off with Section 1, the Preface, if that's okay.
~ Larry