(Complete) The Canterbury Tales and Other Poems by Geoffrey Chaucer - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The Canterbury Tales and Other Poems by Geoffrey Chaucer 1343?-1400
All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-canterbury-tales-and-other-poems-by-geoffrey-chaucer/
Generally considered to be the first book written in English (rather than Latin, French or Italian), Chaucer's magnum opus is a collection of stories as told by a group of pilgrims at Canterbury. It shows Chaucer's knowledge of a wide variety of story-telling styles, with oral storytelling being the norm at that time. It is widely believed by modern scholars that this work was unfinished at his death. This book also includes other poems, some of which are no longer attributed to him. David Laing Purves edited Chaucer's work to make it more accessible to more modern audiences, and has added many notes and explanations, which can be found in the text.(Summary by LynneT)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2383

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Chaucer
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Canterbury_Tales
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 39
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
[*]Original publication date (if known): c1400
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published before 1800

Keywords that describe the book: pilgrims, poetry

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Notes to readers:
Please include prologues to the tales, except where specified in the MW as being a separate section.
Footnotes may be included at the first natural break after their mention in the text if they offer a valuable explanation or insight. Please do not read footnotes that are merely citations. The correct format is "Footnote...end footnote". Please feel free to skip footnotes if they disrupt the flow of the verse.
Please read as written... many words are in Old English and differ from their modern-day counterpart. These are not typos!

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The Canterbury Tales and Other Poems. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Canterbury Tales and Other Poems by Geoffrey Chaucer."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: canterburytales_##_chaucer_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. canterburytales_01_chaucer_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi
Can I get in early and claim section 7?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

alanmapstone wrote: March 28th, 2023, 11:37 am Hi
Can I get in early and claim section 7?
Of course!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 31, please.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

KevinS wrote: March 28th, 2023, 7:05 pm Section 31, please.
All yours
Beeswaxcandle

Post by Beeswaxcandle »

Sections 1 & 20 please.
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should"—my first law of life.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Beeswaxcandle wrote: March 29th, 2023, 1:15 am Sections 1 & 20 please.
Thank you for claiming
SusanNipper

Post by SusanNipper »

I'd like to claim section 11, please.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

SusanNipper wrote: March 30th, 2023, 3:24 pm I'd like to claim section 11, please.
All yours
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

KevinS wrote: March 30th, 2023, 8:14 pm Section 31
(24:29)
Thank you
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Section 5, please. My mouth is watering at this title (I must like going back in time or something) but I think it's going to be a bit rough 'sledding', so will ease my way in. U. Michigan has a nice online Middle English Compendium which...I might have to reference now and then. Thank goodness I figured out what all the asterisks are about (it was tough getting any rhythm going by reading right through them) and assume we are to ignore them and probably the footnotes as well (even though the latter may be interesting). I wish they had a 'hand rubbing' emoji, 'cause I would use it here. :9:

Thanks,
Brize
SusanNipper

Post by SusanNipper »

Thank you!

I see that David Laing Purves updated most spellings but retained the terminal "e" when the meter demands it (noting in the Preface that "the now silent 'e' has been retained in the text of Chaucer only when required by the modern spelling, or by the exigencies of metre") -- so I'm assuming that we're to voice the "e" to preserve the meter. Please give a shout if that's not the case! :D
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

SusanNipper wrote: March 31st, 2023, 6:08 am Thank you!

I see that David Laing Purves updated most spellings but retained the terminal "e" when the meter demands it (noting in the Preface that "the now silent 'e' has been retained in the text of Chaucer only when required by the modern spelling, or by the exigencies of metre") -- so I'm assuming that we're to voice the "e" to preserve the meter. Please give a shout if that's not the case! :D
I hadn’t thought about it… whatever you think best :wink:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

BrizeCrize wrote: March 31st, 2023, 5:57 am Section 5, please. My mouth is watering at this title (I must like going back in time or something) but I think it's going to be a bit rough 'sledding', so will ease my way in. U. Michigan has a nice online Middle English Compendium which...I might have to reference now and then. Thank goodness I figured out what all the asterisks are about (it was tough getting any rhythm going by reading right through them) and assume we are to ignore them and probably the footnotes as well (even though the latter may be interesting). I wish they had a 'hand rubbing' emoji, 'cause I would use it here. :9:

Thanks,
Brize
I am no expert, so please just do your best 8-) As for footnotes, they are optional. I hate footnotes as they disrupt the flow, but, as you say, some are quite interesting and offer valuable information. I have been listening to the 2006 version in the catalog. I am sure we can do better (back in the early days they didn’t PL, and it sounds like some of the readers didn’t edit either :cry: ) In that, they refer listeners to the notes in the text.