[Solo]The Knave of Diamonds by Ethel M. Dell - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 23 sounds great! The only note I have is that at 8:56, "but a deadly weariness was upon her," I hear "but a deadly wariness was upon her."

There's also one thing that I don't think needs to be changed, but I felt like I wouldn't be doing due diligence as a word-perfect PLer if I didn't mention it so that you had the option of changing it if you wanted: at 0:58, "with this stanch friend of hers beside her," you say "with this staunch friend of hers beside her" - which is actually correct! But I see that there's a similar meaning of "stanch" spelled without the U. I'll leave the ball in your court as to whether to leave this line as is or re-take it.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Scarbo,
Thank you for the helpful suggestions! :)
I have made these two corrections to Section 23 and have reposted it.

Scarbo wrote: January 29th, 2023, 4:57 pm Section 23 sounds great! The only note I have is that at 8:56, "but a deadly weariness was upon her," I hear "but a deadly wariness was upon her."

There's also one thing that I don't think needs to be changed, but I felt like I wouldn't be doing due diligence as a word-perfect PLer if I didn't mention it so that you had the option of changing it if you wanted: at 0:58, "with this stanch friend of hers beside her," you say "with this staunch friend of hers beside her" - which is actually correct! But I see that there's a similar meaning of "stanch" spelled without the U. I'll leave the ball in your court as to whether to leave this line as is or re-take it.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Happy to help! :) Section 23 is PL OK.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Scarbo/Sarah,
I have posted Section 24.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 24 sounds great! I have just two notes:

- At 18:06, "And yet—and yet—did she really believe this either?" the second "and yet" is missing.
- At the end, could you trim the silence down to about five seconds?

Poor Anne! I'm looking forward to see what Nap has to say to her after treating her like that.

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Scarbo/Sarah,
Thank you for the suggestions!
I have no idea how the silence at the end got super long! I could've sworn I made it 5 seconds. I'm so glad you let me know about that! :) I have now fixed that as well as added the other "and yet".

Section 25 will focus on Lucas and then in Section 26, we'll find out what Nap has to say to Anne. It's definitely one of my favorite chapters. :9:
Scarbo wrote: March 25th, 2023, 1:54 pm Section 24 sounds great! I have just two notes:

- At 18:06, "And yet—and yet—did she really believe this either?" the second "and yet" is missing.
- At the end, could you trim the silence down to about five seconds?

Poor Anne! I'm looking forward to see what Nap has to say to her after treating her like that.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 24 is PL OK!

I might have to read ahead. :lol:

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Scarbo/Sarah,
I have posted Section 25.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 25 sounds great! I marked it PL OK, but I wanted to mention one line that's technically slightly different from the text but has exactly the same meaning, so you might consider it close enough to word-perfect: at 3:02, "No. I've learnt not to faint," I hear "No. I've learned not to faint." It's completely up to you as to whether to retake this line or leave it as is!

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

I think it's close enough, so I'm good with it. :)
However, I did decide to take a look in my old Audacity files of this chapter to see if I had a version of that sentence that was closer to "learnt" and found one that I think is slightly better, so I have replaced that sentence with a new one that I think is closer to the original text.
Scarbo wrote: April 29th, 2023, 4:34 pm Section 25 sounds great! I marked it PL OK, but I wanted to mention one line that's technically slightly different from the text but has exactly the same meaning, so you might consider it close enough to word-perfect: at 3:02, "No. I've learnt not to faint," I hear "No. I've learned not to faint." It's completely up to you as to whether to retake this line or leave it as is!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 25 is PL OK (again)! :D

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

I have posted Section 26.
We finally get to see what Nap has to say to Anne. :shock:
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 26 is PL OK. The plot thickens! :shock:

Sarah
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Sarah and Sonia,
I apologize for the delay. I just wanted to give you a heads up that I will be posting Section 27 in the next day or two. Thank you for your patience.
SirenaRose

Post by SirenaRose »

Hi Sarah and Sonia,
I have posted Section 27.