The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
carriebgorman

Post by carriebgorman »

Thanks Todd, it is at least good to know I'm not alone. My next line of defense is to look at hardware, so I will be trying a different mouse, but I have a very basic one so I doubt that is it. But I'll let you know!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

To speed up the editing process, I created a Nyquist plugin that lowers amplification by 4 db at the click of a mouse. To do this, I adapted a simple piece of code that I found somewhere on the internet and made a couple of small changes to one of the lines of code. It works fine and now lives at the top of the other .ny plugins on the Effects menu.

This had been so useful that I’d like to create another .ny plugin that would raise pitch about 4%—good when doing some types of voices.

Does anyone in LibriVox-land know of a model piece of .ny code that changes pitch and that I can adapt?

Thanks.

Adrian

PS And yes, I know how to use the built-in effects. This would just speed things up a bit.
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

Adrian wrote: March 28th, 2023, 2:12 pm ...
Does anyone in LibriVox-land know of a model piece of .ny code that changes pitch and that I can adapt?
The original code you used for amplitude changes may have been mine. I posted it here but it also got copied around the net, so you may have found it somewhere else.

That was before macros came to Audacity. It's really easier to use macros for what you want to do. Something like:
Tools > macros > new > choose a name
Insert > Change Pitch
Edit Parameters > change to 4% or whatever you want > OK > OK
Link the macro to a shortcut key, if you want, or just call it from the menu: Tools > Apply Macro...

That's much easier than messing around with Nyquist, which is hard work even for real programmers.

-Ian
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Great! Thanks for your help with this.

Adrian
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I should also have said that it works. And, yes, that was your amplify ny file I used. So thanks for that one, too.

Huzzah! :clap:

Adrian
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

Adrian wrote: March 29th, 2023, 9:23 am I should also have said that it works. And, yes, that was your amplify ny file I used. So thanks for that one, too.
Thanks, Adrian. That's very kind. I no longer use my Nyquist versions of amplify - they've also been superceded by macros. I've been meaning to bundle up my macros and post them on the forum but hadn't got round to it. Your post has spurred me in to action so thanks for that too...
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I just updated my Audacity to 3.2.5 and went to redownload the Replay Gain plugin to measure volume, but found that the download page has either changed or disappeared (I get the response "Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.") I can't seem to find it anywhere else. It's almost as if Replay Gain just never existed. Does anyone know where I can find it now? I found it useful for measuring my volume before exporting to MP3.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I just uploaded a copy of mine to the LV uploader:
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/ReplayGain.ny

Try "save link as" on that, and moving it into your Audacity Plugins folder.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TriciaG wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 3:24 pm I just uploaded a copy of mine to the LV uploader:
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/ReplayGain.ny

Try "save link as" on that, and moving it into your Audacity Plugins folder.
That worked, thanks! I had to hunt for it a bit, as it wasn't showing up under Effects, where it used to be, but I found it under Analyze, which actually makes more sense.

Gratefully,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I think it's the older version that shows up under Analyze. From what I understand, that version also behaves differently than the newer one. There is no Normalize option, I've heard. Normalize isn't hugely helpful, and yet I have found it very handy in certain circumstances.

I have the newer version. I can upload mine, if you like, so that we have that updated functionality available. What do you think, Tricia?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't know. The version I uploaded and she used, shows up in Effect on my Audacity. Perhaps it behaves differently depending on the Audacity version?

The normalize option could be handy, but it's also dangerous (it doesn't prevent clipping, correct?), and it can be done easily in a separate step. And they're named the same, so I'm not sure where you'd put it so they wouldn't be confused. :hmm: On the other hand, it's nice to have the most recent version.

So I don't know. :lol:
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

The audacityteam.org forum seems to have been upgraded, so any saved links will have broken.

The post containing the Replaygain plugins and instructions is now here - I presume that's the broken link referred to on this page. Perhaps someone can update it.

I have both versions of the plugin on my Audacity. I simply renamed the newer version to "Replaygain - effect.ny" - you can rename plugin files without breaking them.

-Ian
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

TriciaG wrote: April 4th, 2023, 5:36 am The normalize option could be handy, but it's also dangerous (it doesn't prevent clipping, correct?), and it can be done easily in a separate step.
If you're talking specifically about the "Loudness Normalization" effecr, that's correct. It's based on average loudness, so if the recording has a few loud spots but is mostly quiet, those loud spots will be clipped unless you add a Limiter or Compress effect.

The one that's just called "Normalize", though, only looks at those loud parts, and NOT the average. Not as useful, but clipping can only be done on purpose.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

redrun wrote: April 4th, 2023, 6:39 am
TriciaG wrote: April 4th, 2023, 5:36 am The normalize option could be handy, but it's also dangerous (it doesn't prevent clipping, correct?), and it can be done easily in a separate step.
If you're talking specifically about the "Loudness Normalization" effecr, that's correct. It's based on average loudness, so if the recording has a few loud spots but is mostly quiet, those loud spots will be clipped unless you add a Limiter or Compress effect.

The one that's just called "Normalize", though, only looks at those loud parts, and NOT the average. Not as useful, but clipping can only be done on purpose.
I'm talking about the normalize function within ReplayGain. :)

I've updated the links in the wiki. Please let me know if I missed any.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

TriciaG wrote: April 4th, 2023, 5:36 am I don't know. The version I uploaded and she used, shows up in Effect on my Audacity. Perhaps it behaves differently depending on the Audacity version?

The normalize option could be handy, but it's also dangerous (it doesn't prevent clipping, correct?), and it can be done easily in a separate step. And they're named the same, so I'm not sure where you'd put it so they wouldn't be confused. :hmm: On the other hand, it's nice to have the most recent version.

So I don't know. :lol:
Sorry, just saw this further discussion today. I wonder if it ended up under Analyze because of how I installed it on my Mac? I'm not sure. I have the latest version of Audacity (3.2.5).

In any case, it appears to work exactly like the last version I had.

I'll check out the new links for future reference. I end up having to reinstall it every time I update Audacity.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: