[COMPLETE] The Evergreen, Spring by Various-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

The Evergreen, A Northern Seasonal. Spring 1895, by Various

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-evergreen-a-northern-seasonal-spring-1895-by-william-sharp/
The Evergreen was a short lived seasonal magazine, edited by William Sharp (Fiona Macleod) and published by Patrick Geddes, that proposed a nature-based Celtic renaissance as an alternative to late 19th century Decadence. In contrast to the Romantics, the Scots revival advocated urban renewal, rather than a return to nature, an idea that would be developed in Patrick Geddes' later and more well-known work on town planning. The first volume of The Evergreen is an eclectic collection of short fiction, poetry, literary criticism, philosophy and visual art on the theme of spring. (Summary by Phil Benson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://1890s.ca/evergreen-volumes/

Target completion date: 2023-04-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: TZaqn30W
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Sharp_(writer) (William Sharp)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 25
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1895
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: nature, Scotland, ecology, Edinburgh, Celtic renaissance

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Evergreen, A Northern Seasonal. Spring 1895. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Evergreen, A Northern Seasonal. Spring 1895, by William Sharp. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Evergreen, A Northern Seasonal. Spring 1895, by William Sharp. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Evergreen, A Northern Seasonal. Spring 1895, by William Sharp."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: evergreenspring_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. evergreenspring_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by eggs4ears on March 27th, 2023, 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

MC: Annise, DPL: Newgatenovelist - thank you yet again!

For the text source I have given the access page to all four issues on Yellow Nineties - I have read from the PDF file under Volume 1.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set this up - back soon.
Anne
All done - there is an overabundance of suitable cover art :D

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne,

Thanks for setting up the MW. Questions, questions, questions...

At first, I put up 'edited by William Sharp' but for the Blue Review we said 'by Various' and mentioned the editor in the summary. So I have made that change here. But should I also enter the authors in the metadata? Several are already in the catalogue.

I haven't entered a genre. The Blue Review was 'literary fiction' which it mostly was, but this is much more eclectic. It is really just a 'magazine', but is that a genre? It isn't on the list of options but I guess I could enter it manually?

Phil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

it depends whether you wish it to be a collection - if you do then you need to give the authors in the metadata but you do not need the text in the metadata
if it isn't done as a collection , only one author will display in so a list of authors after the title will only display the first - so it is better to use various
What some people then do is put the author along with the section title which you have done.
If you want to be able to search on the author you don't need metadata
If you use metadata you don't need the author with the section title
My opinion is - you don't need to be able to search on the author - it's really a "whole" with the artwork and things , they don't really stand alone.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Checking in.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Parts 1-5 Ready for PL!

Erin, before I go on could I ask you to take a peek forward at the text for Part 6. This is one of several articles that include a bit of Scottish Gaelic and I want to check whether you are comfortable with PLing that. Obviously, I don't speak Scottish Gaelic and I don't imagine anyone else on LV who does (could I be wrong?). I used this pronunciation guide - https://cuhwc.org.uk/resources/the-unofficial-guide-to-pronouncing-gaelic/ - but who knows whether I have got it right or not. I guess that from a PLing point of view it is just a matter of checking that nothing is missing or duplicated?

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/evergreenspring_01_various_128kb.mp3 - 17:35
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/evergreenspring_02_various_128kb.mp3 - 02:14
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/evergreenspring_03_various_128kb.mp3 - 11:09
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/evergreenspring_04_various_128kb.mp3 - 19:11
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/evergreenspring_05_various_128kb.mp3 - 02:22
Newgatenovelist

Yes, I'm willing to PL that section. It's not a long passage - I might feel differently if the majority of the section were not English, in which case I might like to help but might also just not be the best person for the job. I guess we'll both just cross our fingers and remind ourselves that it's ultimately about making a free audiobook, warts and all!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Newgatenovelist wrote: March 28th, 2023, 11:45 am Yes, I'm willing to PL that section. It's not a long passage - I might feel differently if the majority of the section were not English, in which case I might like to help but might also just not be the best person for the job. I guess we'll both just cross our fingers and remind ourselves that it's ultimately about making a free audiobook, warts and all!
Thanks! Most of the sections are quite short and there is usually a translation. Part 17 will be a bit different - it is around 17 minutes, all in French. I think I will need to advertise for a French-speaking PL.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Parts 6-21 and 23 uploaded and ready for PL - that's everything except 22 and 24 which I am still editing.

Please ignore Part 17 (French) and I will look for a French-speaker DPL. Anne, any idea on which forum it would be best to post in?
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

eggs4ears wrote: March 29th, 2023, 5:27 pm Please ignore Part 17 (French) and I will look for a French-speaker DPL. Anne, any idea on which forum it would be best to post in?
Answering my own question.... I think 'Languages other than English, help wanted....' rather than 'Proof listeners wanted...' as it seems like the livelier forum?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think your second idea the best - making it clear how much work it will involve may help.
And what level of PLing you want. Or if you want I could - I have PLed a couple of French solos.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

The only thing I noted for part 1:
4.17-4.21, bottom half p 10
...a degeneration [heard denigration] of human type worse than what follows famine.

I don't mind a smattering of French here and there, but I think Anne (or other person with greater confidence than I possess) will make a better fist of it than I would. With some languages I'd be willing to have a big cup of coffee and do it, but with a language as widely spoken as French I'm not sure my attempt is really necessary!
Newgatenovelist

Parts 5 and 6 are PL OK. Notes for 2, 3, 7 are below. As usual I've been aiming for word-perfect with the poetry, but if something isn't clear (or I've misheard!) please do ask.

Part 02

1.36-1.40, p 20 middle stanza
To gaze [heard graze] on the sun with an answering glow.

Part 3

7.40-7.43, main para/top half p 24
...but Dionysus smiled at his captors…
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/dionysus

10.52-10.55, omission, p 25, indented verse
A cheerful and [a] changeful page,

Part 07

0.22-0.25, p 47 first stanza
Thus [heard This] is the new Day woven and spun:

0.32-0.35, p 47 second stanza
Thus [heard This] is the restful Night re-won.

With part 4, in the MW the duration is 19 minutes but the file I have is 22. I’d just like to check the discrepancy before I spend 20 minutes Pling a file that didn’t upload correctly!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin! On Part 4, I'm pretty sure that is the right file and the mistake is just in the timing I put in the MW. But I can't check on my home computer for a few days, so if you want to carry on and do that later, please do!