Where to find volume level on Android?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AnnieC

Post by AnnieC »

Would anyone out there happen to know where & how to find the volume level for an audio file on Android? I have a couple great apps for editing/converting/amplifying/etc. - but unfortunately the volume adjustment feature doesn't help any if there's no way to tell where I'm starting!

Thank you!
-Annie C.
-Annie C.

"...a sense of humor, that is to say, a sense of the fitness of things..."
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You could just upload your file and see how it turns out - if I remember correctly you were trying to find out if you could record with it. But I think you will need to use a computer to edit a "real" recording after you have recorded it - I'm sure it is possible to record a chapter without needing to edit it afterwards but I don't think I have met anyone who can. But if you've an mp3 file just upload it .

Anne
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

You may already know this since you're already editing, but the general term for "advanced" audio editors is Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). There are several for Android, but I don't have experience with them - I edit using Audacity on my computer.

But if you look for a DAW app, two features that should get you what you need are "ReplayGain" analysis and a "Loudness Normalization" (as opposed to just "Normalize") effect.
The first tells you your average volume relative to the target volume. The second skips telling you and does the adjustment itself to match.

If you find that you're boosting the volume of your loud sections too much (which can cause distortion we call "clipping"), then you may also need either a Compressor or Limiter effect, so the loud parts aren't so much louder than the rest of the recording. Most DAWs will have either or both as main features, and you can find more info on their differences if you need.

I agree moving it over to a computer, if you have one available, is probably going to be easier to get help with. Lots of folks around here use Audacity and Checker, and even if the buttons get moved around now and then the many video tutorials in the LV wiki are still quite useful. Checker is probably how the person who PLs your recording will know its volume.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
AnnieC

Post by AnnieC »

Thank you both! This is all very helpful!
-Annie C.

"...a sense of humor, that is to say, a sense of the fitness of things..."