[Historical Fiction] Held Fast For England, by G. A. Henty - thw

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Held Fast For England: A Tale of the Siege of Gibraltar, by G. A. Henty (1832 - 1902)
"He is sharp, and does his lessons well. I have no difficulty with him, on that score; but he is a perfect imp of mischief." Young Bob Repton always has some bright idea, making him quite popular with the boys at school... if not with the teachers. But when a bit of mischief pushes him out of school and into the world of adults, where will his ingenuity and initiative take him?

Bob will join the defense in the historic Siege of Gibraltar, which "stands almost alone in the annals of warfare, alike in its duration and in the immense preparations made, by the united powers of France and Spain, for the capture of the fortress." In such a fight, his penchant for trouble might just come in handy! (Summary by redrun)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/21788

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: W5zthMEY
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._A._Henty (G. A. Henty)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 19
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1891
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: British Empire, gibraltar, spanish empire

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Held Fast For England by G. A. Henty. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Held Fast For England, by G. A. Henty. Chapter #: Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Held Fast For England, by G. A. Henty"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: heldfastforengland_##_henty_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number in the MW. (e.g. heldfastforengland_01_henty_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: toddhw

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by redrun on August 28th, 2023, 5:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: remove group tag
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'll BC and DPL this project, though we'll need a volunteer to PL any section(s) I may read.

Claims are limited to two at a time, so everyone interested has a chance to join, and we don't wait too long on any one person.

Chapter 15 is split into two sections, and I'd prefer to have the same reader do both. A suggested stopping point is in the MW, but the reader can pick another if they wish.
Last edited by redrun on March 28th, 2023, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashtonhoffman

Post by ashtonhoffman »

i'm not a fast reader so no chapter 15 for me :|
i did gust lisen to cortez in Mexico :D it the only one on the list that was already recorded :?
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

ashtonhoffman wrote: March 25th, 2023, 6:47 pm i'm not a fast reader so no chapter 15 for me :|
i did gust lisen to cortez in Mexico :D it the only one on the list that was already recorded :?
Well, if you're at all interested in chapter 15, it's not really a problem. I'd just have you read it as two sections, calling the first "Chapter 15a" and the second "15b".
I found what I think is a decent stopping point mid-way, but you'd be welcome to stop where you choose. :)

Yes, By Right of Conquest is what I'd consider to be the primary title of that book, so not finding it as With Cortez in Mexico is understandable. Props to TriciaG for knowing or remembering to look for it, and I'm also having a listen now!

You're welcome to claim a chapter or two now, if you like, and I'll get them entered when we have an MW.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I can set this up for you and MC.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MW ready for you.

(Note - when using books at Gutenberg, you should still find the publication date. I found it for this.)

Thanks, Todd
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

ToddHW wrote: March 26th, 2023, 8:37 am MW ready for you.

(Note - when using books at Gutenberg, you should still find the publication date. I found it for this.)

Thanks, Todd
Thank you! I suppose we can add that extra section for "15b" later if it's actually needed.

Where would one find the publication date for a Gutenberg book? I didn't find it on the main page for the book, nor in the text itself. Gutenberg even says they might not be using text from any particular edition; how should I find that out in future?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Have to look it up from other sources. Wikipedia in this case.

You should be able to add a section to the MW whenever you need to. You can't, however, delete a section - that takes an MC.

Thanks, Todd
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

ToddHW wrote: March 26th, 2023, 9:16 am Have to look it up from other sources. Wikipedia in this case.
That's how I found the initial publication date, on Henty's author page. I'm pretty sure there are later editions, though I don't know if they have enough changes to qualify for separate copyright protection, and I don't see where I could find them on Wikipedia.
ashtonhoffman

Post by ashtonhoffman »

i will claim the preface :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

ashtonhoffman wrote: March 26th, 2023, 9:37 am i will claim the preface :D
Excellent, thanks for starting us off!
ashtonhoffman

Post by ashtonhoffman »

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you, Ashton, we're off to a good start!

I do have a couple notes for you:
@ about 0:54, in the phrase "at no period of the investment was the fortress in any danger of capture", I hear "one" instead of "no". You can re-record just that one word, or that phrase or sentence, whatever sounds best to you.
@ beginning of file, there's a bit over 2 seconds of silence before you talk, where we'd like to have between 0.5 and 1 second. Just a little snip in Audacity should get it fixed.

Last, and this one is entirely optional:
The LibriVox "Checker" tool says the background noise in your recording is a little high. I can still hear you perfectly fine, so again, this is OPTIONAL. But if you'd like to learn a new trick, you can use the "Noise Reduction" feature in Audacity to cut down on the background noise.

If you learn best by listening and watching, here's a quick video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLfpFtstORg

Or if you'd rather read it, here's 5 very short steps in the Audacity community site:
https://support.audacityteam.org/repairing-audio/noise-reduction-removal#noise-reduction
ashtonhoffman

Post by ashtonhoffman »

OK i will get it to you in the morning :)
ashtonhoffman

Post by ashtonhoffman »