The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
sonia0119

Post by sonia0119 »

AdmYrrek wrote: March 5th, 2023, 10:13 am
Rapunzelina wrote: March 5th, 2023, 9:59 am Depending on the device you're using it on, it might be that there's not enough RAM for Audacity to run smoothly :?: or that your device needs some updates installed, if it's the same issue like Sonia's above :?:
I'm using my gaming computer, and the task manager doesn't show anything being unduly taxed.

I haven't installed updates yet. I was concerned it would cause problems with my in-progress recording. But this has been my experience with Audacity for as long as I've used it. It's just getting really bad today.
I was having freezing issues constantly. First Audacity would not launch right away. Second, if I hit the play button, it would not play but then would play after a long time. I would then end Audacity with task manager. Update that installed fixed the problem right away. I looked online for solutions but none of them addressed the updates. Yeah it is frustrating when you want to get your recording done when something does not work. Hope you find the solution.
berlingunning

Post by berlingunning »

I'm having a Dickens of a time adjusting the volume on my first recording before submission. I know it's supposed to be between 86 and 92 decibels. I followed the advice in the tutorial video and set it to 5.0. they said it was too loud. So I adjusted it to 4.7, but the options to preview and apply the changes do not work. They are grayed out, which means the tabs don't work. What should I do?
berlingunning

Post by berlingunning »

I'm having a Dickens of a time adjusting the volume on my first recording before submission. I know it's supposed to be between 86 and 92 decibels. I followed the advice in the tutorial video and set it to 5.0. they said it was too loud. So I adjusted it to 4.7, but the options to preview and apply the changes do not work. They are grayed out, which means the tabs don't work. What should I do?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

kittycat19 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 2:39 pm I'm having a Dickens of a time adjusting the volume on my first recording before submission. I know it's supposed to be between 86 and 92 decibels. I followed the advice in the tutorial video and set it to 5.0. they said it was too loud. So I adjusted it to 4.7, but the options to preview and apply the changes do not work. They are grayed out, which means the tabs don't work. What should I do?
You set what to 5.0? How did you adjust it? Please state the steps you took:

"I adjusted the microphone slider..." or "I selected my recording and did thus and so..."
but the options to preview and apply the changes do not work. They are grayed out,
This to me sounds like you're trying to amplify. Did you already amplify the recording by 5 dB and are now trying to do another 4.7? Or are you working on your original recording, that was apparently too quiet?

Where did you get the 5.0 and 4.7 numbers to try?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Could you give us a little more information, please? Which tutorial video did you watch?

Do you have Checker installed? (It's a little program that carries out a number of checks on our mp3 files, including volume. After I've finished editing my recordings, I export a test mp3 file to my desktop and run Checker. It gives me an overall volume level, and I go back into Audacity to change the volume appropriately. I've not used the Audacity plug-ins to assess volume, so I can't tell you how to use them.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
berlingunning

Post by berlingunning »

Under amplify I set the decibels to 5.0 in the little box. I was following the instructions Phil gave in the video tutorial about adjusting volume which can be found in LibriVox wiki. I don't know if I should put anything in the new peak amplitude box.

They told me 5.0 was too loud, so I reset it to 4.7. I can't click on the preview or apply options because they are grayed out, so I don't know if I successfully set the settings or not. I would imagine I didn't.
berlingunning

Post by berlingunning »

No checker. How can I get one installed?
berlingunning

Post by berlingunning »

And I attempted to adjust it both by the microphone slider and typing number values in the amplification and new peak amplitude boxes.
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

kittycat19 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:42 pm No checker. How can I get one installed?
See info here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker
kittycat19 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:44 pm And I attempted to adjust it both by the microphone slider and typing number values in the amplification and new peak amplitude boxes.
I would only touch the microphone slider at the start of a recording. It's recommended to set it to such a level that when you speak at normal volume, the highest peaks reach about the 0.5 mark.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

kittycat19 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:40 pm Under amplify I set the decibels to 5.0 in the little box. I was following the instructions Phil gave in the video tutorial about adjusting volume which can be found in LibriVox wiki. I don't know if I should put anything in the new peak amplitude box.

They told me 5.0 was too loud, so I reset it to 4.7. I can't click on the preview or apply options because they are grayed out, so I don't know if I successfully set the settings or not. I would imagine I didn't.
OK.

When you put 5.0 in the Amplify box, you're telling it to raise the volume by 5 dB. When you then do it again and put in 4.7, you're telling it to raise the volume by another 4.7 dB. You aren't setting the volume in that box; you're telling it how much to raise the volume (or if you put in a negative number, you're telling it to decrease the volume).

It wouldn't let you do another 4.7 because that would put you over the maximum - causing your wave forms to grow past the boundaries of the window, which is called "clipping" and can cause unpleasant distortion. :)

So if you have a file that's a little too loud (how much? Let's say 3 dB, since it was enough to mention by the person who proof-listened), you'll want to highlight the whole thing, then go to Amplify, and put in a MINUS 3 to lower the volume by 3 dB.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TonyMezz

Post by TonyMezz »

Hello. I tried searching this issue, but didn't find anyone asking this, sorry if it's been answered before.

I set recording preferences to 16-bit and recorded a test, ready to edit. But when I play it back, although I show a normal waveform, and volume levels and everything looks correct, I can't hear it! With my volume turned all the way up, I can BARELY hear something, but it just seems like I need to reset something for playback.

I use a Focusrite 2i2 interface, and a Windows laptop. Whether I playback through the interface or the laptop directly, I get nothing. Help!!! What am I missing?

Thanks,
Tony
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

On my version there is a slider for playback volume after the slider for recording volume left hand side above the wave patterns - but I don't have the more recent versions so it is possible it isn't still there.

Anne
TonyMezz

Post by TonyMezz »

annise wrote: March 17th, 2023, 2:08 am On my version there is a slider for playback volume after the slider for recording volume left hand side above the wave patterns - but I don't have the more recent versions so it is possible it isn't still there.

Anne
OMG You're a genius! That was it! Apparently, the slider defaults to the left when you change the bit rate. Thank you a thousand times!
carriebgorman

Post by carriebgorman »

Good morning - upon editing, when I am playing back the recording and then stop to edit, when I start the audio again, it starts where the cursor is but then jumps ahead very quickly before playing normally. Sometimes this is 4-5 seconds ahead, not just a small amount. This is a new issue. It worked just fine for months. This happens no matter how I start the playback after editing (space-bar, other shortcuts, clicking directly on the play button, etc.) I've tried all the fixes I can find online, but since none of them are specifically for this issue, nothing has worked. Anyone else experience anything like this, and have any ideas?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am seeing something sorta like that when I mark something to edit - the track jumps and I mark something a bit shifted from what I intended.

viewtopic.php?p=2151467#p2151467

Thought earlier - see link - was that it might be that I'm by mistake hitting one of the many rather useless buttons on the fancy ergonomic mouse I have (I'm not the only user of the family computer) that really isn't ergonomic for me since it is right handed but I use a mouse with my left hand. But the problem really is sorta like what you are seeing!

Thanks, Todd