COMPLETE: American State Trials, Volume 1, by John D. Lawson -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

American State Trials, Volume 1, by John D. Lawson (1852 - 1921)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/american-state-trials-vol1-by-john-d-lawson/

"A collection of the important and interesting criminal trials which have taken place in the United States from the beginning of our government to the present day". To the general public this series will certainly appeal as the most interesting and instructive work which has been published in this country for many years. The trial of judicial causes has even more charms than biography and history, for it is a drama of real life. We enter the halls of justice, the judges and jurors are before us, the criminal is brought in, we behold him surrounded by an eager and excited populace; the whole scene passing before the mind's eye as a living and moving picture. There is nothing in the Grecian drama that surpasses, in touching pathos, scenes in the trials and prosecutions of these men and women, sometimes innocent and sometimes guilty, but always awaiting with trembling the verdict of the jury which is to send them back to their families and friends or to the scaffold or prison. Here are the poor and ignorant confronted with their accusers but relying upon their advocates; there the rich and powerful surrounded by a host of counsel and braving even the power of the government to convict them. Sometimes the mere report of the evidence in the case and the verdict gives a complete picture of the crime and criminal but in most cases the full dramatic effect cannot be shown in a narrative, but stands out broadly and as vividly as the actual trial when the witnesses, the counsel, the judge and the prisoner are suffered to speak for themselves. in many cases the great points of interest are the eloquent arguments at the bar by the advocates, and in this collection will be included all the great forensic efforts which have been made in trials in all the States by the orators and leaders of the American Bar from the beginning of American Courts down to the present time. When it is considered how prone our people are to litigation, what a vast number of causes are decided every year, how eagerly the public attention is directed to many of them, what an amount of learning and talent are centered in the legal profession, greater perhaps than in any other, how fond American people are of attending courts, and especially the magnitude of many causes that are tried, it is extraordinary that there should not have appeared up to this time in the country a series of American State Trials. (Summary by Introduction)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/americanstatetr06lawsgoog

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Law

Keywords that describe the book: United States, criminal, Law, trial, lawyer, conviction

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section# of American State Trials, Volume 1. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "American State Trials, Volume 1, by John D. Lawson. Section Title."

Special Notes:
  • For information about where to start and end, see the MW. Check the previous section to see where it finished.
  • For foreign language sentence or legal citations, post in the thread for help or do what research you can.
  • Footnotes are optional. You can read or not read any that you choose.
  • Character voices are optional.
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of American State Trials, Volume 1, by John D. Lawson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: americanstatetrials1_##_lawson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. americanstatetrials1_01_lawson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on March 29th, 2023, 11:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

This small (only 900 pages) first volume (of 17) should prove an interesting read.

It will probably take me a few days to set up the MW since splitting it will be difficult.

I will DPL.

Contents:
Vol. 1. Trial of Levi Weeks for the murder of Gulielma Sands, New York City, 1800 -- Trial of Samuel Tulley and John Dalton for piracy and murder, Boston, Massachusetts, 1812 -- Trial of Francis Mezzars for libel, New York City, 1817 -- Trial of the Rev. Jacob Gruber for inciting slaves to insurrection and rebellion, Frederick County, Maryland, 1819 -- Trial of George Bowen for the murder of Jonathan Jewett, Northampton, Massachussets, 1816 -- Trial of John Ury for inciting Negroes to crime and for being a Romish priest, New York City, 1741 -- Trial of Judge Wilkinson, Dr. Wilkinson and John Murdaugh for the murder of John Rothwell and Alexander H. Meeks, Kentucky, 1839 -- Trial of Francis Wittenburgh for procurement, New York City, 1818 -- Trial of Alexander W. Holmes for the manslaughter of Francis Askin, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1842 -- Trial of Simeon L. Crockett for arson, Boston, Massachusetts, 1835 -- Trial of John C. Colt for the murder of Samuel Adams, New York City, 1842 -- Trials of Bridget Bishop and George Burroughs for witchcraft, Salem, Massachusetts, 1692 -- Trial of Commander Alexander S. Mackenzie for murder, before a Naval Court of Inquiry, Brooklyn, New York, 1842 -- Trial of Oscar T. Caldwell for embezzlement, Chicago, Illinois, 1855 -- Trial of Mordecai M. Noah for breaking open and publishing a letter, New York City, 1818 -- Trial of Alden Spooner for libel, New York City, 1818 -- Trial of Mordecai M. Noah and Alden Spooner for contempt, New York City, 1818 -- Trial of Clement L. Vallandigham for sedition and rebellion, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1863 -- Trial of Moses Simons for assault and battery, New York City, 1818 -- Trial of Joel Clough for the murder of Mary W. Hamilton, New Jersey, 1833 -- Trial of Christian Smith for the murder of Bornt Lake, New York, 1817 -- Action of John M. Trumbull against Thomas Gibbons for libel, New York City, 1818 -- Trials of the Quakers, William Robinson, Marmaduke Stephenson, Dyer and others, Massachusetts, 1659 -- Trial of Paterick Blake for the murder of his wife, New York City, 1816
Emotions
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC for you. MW is up.
Jo
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Almost done with the MW. Ready for claims, but I still need to put the ending marks in for some sections.

Edit: finished, I think.
Emotions
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Can I have Section 8?
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

elsieselwyn wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 12:21 pm Can I have Section 8?
Our first reader! Done.
Emotions
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

May I claim 2,3,4,5, thank you
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Roselbex wrote: March 24th, 2023, 4:52 pm May I claim 2,3,4,5, thank you
Gladly!
Emotions
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi there,

May I claim sections 63 & 64?

Thanks,
Stacey
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

StaceyM2022 wrote: March 25th, 2023, 9:36 am Hi there,

May I claim sections 63 & 64?

Thanks,
Stacey
Done!
Emotions
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Great, thanks!
tac107

Post by tac107 »

Can I claim 67 and 68, please?
If she's passin' back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Tatiana
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

tac107 wrote: March 26th, 2023, 6:53 pm Can I claim 67 and 68, please?
Done!
Emotions
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »