COMPLETE - The Strange Case of Mortimer Fenley by Louis Tracy - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

The Strange Case of Mortimer Fenley, by Louis Tracy (1863 - 1928)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-strange-case-of-mortimer-fenley-by-louis-tracy/
later (Summary by Kirsten Wever)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26447

Target completion date: 2023-05-20

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Strange Case of Mortimer Fenley. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Strange Case of Mortimer Fenley, by Louis Tracy. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Strange Case of Mortimer Fenley, by Louis Tracy. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Strange Case of Mortimer Fenley, by Louis Tracy."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: strangecaseofmortimerfenley_##_tracy_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. strangecaseofmortimerfenley_01_tracy_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
– Kirsten

A person who won't read* has no advantage over one who can't. – Twain

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

This project has an MC and a DPL.

:mrgreen:
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
keyserjose

Post by keyserjose »

I recently signed up to LibriVox, I would like to sign up to do this project.
Question: What is a MC, DPL?
I am going to be a storm, a flame! I need to fight whole armies alone; I have ten hearts; I have a hundred arms; I feel too strong to war with mortals - BRING ME GIANTS!”
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Welcome!

Most of the books recorded by librivox volunteers are group projects, with different people reading different chapters or sections. There are also what we call solo projects, and this is one. A solo project has only one reader, that being me, in this case.

One way to volunteer is to read chapters or books or whatever. Another way is to do the equivalent of proofreading, called proof listening, or PL (ing). Usually people sign up to proof listen a particular chapter or a number of different chapters. They're also are DPL jobs, meaning dedicated proof listener. That means you are dedicated to proof and entire book or project.

Whatever projects are recorded, whether books, collections of articles, and so on, there is always an MC. Those initials stand for meta coordinator. This Job is reserved for LibriVox administrators, or admin people.

So when you read that this project has an MC and a DPL, what that means is that the book I am going to record as a solo, meaning I am the only person recording for this project, already has a meta coordinator and also a dedicated proof listener. In other words, we've got all the volunteering covered that's needed for this project.

If you go to the forum page You will find lots of information about what projects are being completed right now, different ways to volunteer, different categories of written material being recorded, many looking for volunteers to proof or read sections, and so on.

My guess is that you're interested in this project because you like mysteries. Why not go to the forum, find conversations about similar projects being launched now, maybe looking for volunteers,..

I'm just another volunteer, and there is a lot I don't know about LibriVox, that you can find out by browsing in the forum.

Hope this helps, and again welcome.
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, this is set up.

You can probably shorten the front of the file name to just mortimerfenley, if you prefer. :)

Moving to Going Solo...

P.S. Welcome, keyserjose! What Kirsten said. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
keyserjose

Post by keyserjose »

Thanks for the clarification! I'll go check out the open volunteering spots.
I am going to be a storm, a flame! I need to fight whole armies alone; I have ten hearts; I have a hundred arms; I feel too strong to war with mortals - BRING ME GIANTS!”
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Thanks Tricia.

I'm in progress, though this won't be a lightning project. (LP). 8-) (That is, no LV-LP-DPLing )

I'm going to finish Celestial Omnibus too, so whenever you can bring that back to life?

KW
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm full on MC projects right now, so I'll need to wait until something else is cataloged first. :)

No worries on the slower pace!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Don't work TOOO hard.

I"ll just record the Celestial pieces, and when you're ready I'll hand them over OR I can certainly -- and REALLY WOULD NOT MIND IN THE LEAST TO -- find another MC and DPL.

HOWEVER, my timing is slowing down with the coming spring, so we're fine doing nothing. (For a change!)
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Just for the record, I am -- as you suggested -- saving these as "mortimerfenley_xx_louis" -- leaving out "The Strange case of"
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

:thumbs:
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Just FYI -- I've recorded more than half of this, so you'll get a batch soon. (It's MUCH better than the Tracy mystery we just did.)
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds good! (No pun intended.) :P
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

I put chapter 9 entire into the MW, since that's where I noted the times for you to look at - so to speak.

Here are places where you'll hear about a second of the wheeze -- mostly behind my voice, but in the three instances noted where there's silence.

12.46.5 also 12.54-- wheeze in silence

Your help much appreciated -- whether you find a fix or not. Re-recording the 10-15 minutes in question, and splicing, would not be the worst thing in the world. This level of cat noise is unacceptable to me (unlike the quieter and more occasional background meows we discussed about 7 recordings ago), so I will do something.
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, I should be able to explore this sometime tomorrow. :)