COMPLETE: Sketches of Gotham by Owen Davis -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
CalebSchroeder

Post by CalebSchroeder »

Uploaded section 13 - runtime 13 min 13 sec

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_13_davis_128kb.mp3

Thank you,
Caleb

PS - It was a pure coincidence... I swear :wink:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

CalebSchroeder wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 9:03 pm Uploaded section 13 - runtime 13 min 13 sec

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_13_davis_128kb.mp3

Thank you,
Caleb

PS - It was a pure coincidence... I swear :wink:
Nuh unh! There's no such think as coincidence! Is there? Powerful forces are at work here ... someone gimme a talisman, quick!

Oh, almost forgot, thank you!
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hi Brian,

Here is section 25: Discovering a Prima Dona! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_25_davis_128kb.mp3

Time: 13.23

Thanks,

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

valroth wrote: March 24th, 2023, 4:11 pm Hi Brian,

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_25_davis_128kb.mp3

Thanks,

Val
Hey! What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be making happy memories, forever to enjoy, with people children and pet children?! You never told me about your dogs. Are they big happy ones? Well, I'm sure you see to their happiness! Are they like labs, or setters, or what? Oh, and thanks for the upload!
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
valroth

Post by valroth »

BrianFullen wrote: March 24th, 2023, 4:16 pm
valroth wrote: March 24th, 2023, 4:11 pm Hi Brian,

Thanks,

Val
Hey! What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be making happy memories, forever to enjoy, with people children and pet children?! You never told me about your dogs. Are they big happy ones? Well, I'm sure you see to their happiness! Are they like labs, or setters, or what? Oh, and thanks for the upload!
Huh? Dogs? Happy memories? Nope, just another salty tale with a twist... but this Prima Dona may still sing you "a song for a dollah!” :D
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

valroth wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:50 pm Huh? Dogs? Happy memories? Nope, just another salty tale with a twist... but this Prima Dona may still sing you "a song for a dollah!” :D
Now just a second! I'm the Prima Dona here! Let's get that straight! Prima Dona is a good thing, right? Gotta be better than Secunda Dona ... I think!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Roselbex wrote: March 20th, 2023, 4:10 pm I have reuploaded Section1 with corrections Length17:47
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_01_davis_128kb.mp3
Great job. Section 1 is PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

johnb2 wrote: March 19th, 2023, 12:14 pm Hi Brian

Chapter 16 @ 11:11

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_16_davis_128kb.mp3
John,

Fantastic job. I did find a couple of things that you might look at:

1:59 more than I care to tell,” he said, You said can.

And the second one is one I wouldn't even mention if you weren't going in already, could you add just a smidge of time at the beginning? It is just a little less than .5 seconds.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Chuck,

I really enjoyed your reading of this. The inflection and the voice you used was very effective.

I did find a few things that you might want to look at:

1:32.5 I have seen many a nice, straightforward young fellow You left out the word young

2:18.5 The same kind of girls are roaming the streets You added the word around between roaming and the.

4:05.5 and what was just a bit rarer, You left out the word just. It is a little thing, but I think it adds a slightly different meaning to the sentence.

5:05.5 John Chinaman, you know, has a keen eye for the beautiful, You said Chinatown. You said had the

5:16 There is his one weak point You said There's. It seems to me that by writing “There is….”, the author is accenting the word 'there' pointing to the subject of the sentence. Just my thought.

5:39.5 both legitimate and illegitimate, who will work in the dark as well as in the light, and whose heels can be hurried by extra compensation, You left out the phrase who will work in the dark as well as in the light,

6:48 I am not putting up any defense for this Chinatown Queen. You said of

7:35.5 They were more costly than that, so far as . You said as. Subtle but important difference.

8:36.5 so long as she was satisfied? Again, substituting as.

12:23,5 and he said so a few minutes later You added the word in between so and a.

14:01 He chinned to me for about an hour You left out the word about

16:19 and angles crept in You added the word the between and and angles

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
whitlang

Post by whitlang »

Brian:

I'd like to claim#19, "told By The Manicure Girl". (I'm going to risk it, even though my first effort hasn't been PL'd yet.)

I've also got a question for you: Is there a generally accepted or agreed upon pronunciation for the word (oh, let's call it a word, why not?) "librivox"? I settled on lee-bruh-vox, but will happily switch to join ranks with the legions of those who actually know.

Cheers, John
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

whitlang wrote: March 25th, 2023, 1:40 pm Brian:

I'd like to claim#19, "told By The Manicure Girl". (I'm going to risk it, even though my first effort hasn't been PL'd yet.)

I've also got a question for you: Is there a generally accepted or agreed upon pronunciation for the word (oh, let's call it a word, why not?) "librivox"? I settled on lee-bruh-vox, but will happily switch to join ranks with the legions of those who actually know.

Cheers, John
Hi John,

Nice! Glad to hear you want to read another section. Wayne is our dedicated proof-listener on this project, but he's involved in lots of projects. If you wish, he or I can give you some tips on how you can gain some insight on projects that volunteers (including you, of course) are engaged in. In my experience, Wayne is extremely diligent and no doubt will get to your recording of section 7 in due course.

Meanwhile, I'll gladly assign you section 19.

If you haven't noticed it, there are indications in the top-level post for this topic as to proof-listening level and what we listen for at, for example, Standard PL level, which this project uses. Also, if you wish I can send you a link that explains proof-listening and other roles (Book Coordinator, Meta Coordinator, Proof Listener, etc.) and what those entail.

Normally, when we PL at any level we are strict on intro and outro parts and they should be recorded exactly as given in the Magic Window.

Wayne will do PL, as I've mentioned, but I did a quick check on your section 7 intro and noticed that you said "Section number 7"; so, when you do 19 you'll probably want to omit the word "number" in the intro.

Don't worry about fixing 7 intro just yet; Wayne might have more than one fix that he will ask for and we does you can correct (could be as simple as a cut of the word "number") your section 7 intro. To my ear, the other parts of your section 7 intro and outro sounded good.

Thanks,
Brian

EDIT: forgot to address librivox pronunciation question, explicitly. I've heard it several ways. But they're all pretty close. As noted in Forum Topic General Information, it's an invented word and I suppose narrators pronounce it in a way that seems natural to them. The way you said it sounded fine to my ear when I did the quick check on your intro / outro from section 7.
Last edited by BrianFullen on March 25th, 2023, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

johnb2 wrote: March 25th, 2023, 1:41 pm Hi Wayne

chapter 16 @ 11:12

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_16_davis_128kb.mp3
Thanks. I'll note it ready for PL so that Wayne can queue it up. Regards, Brian

EDIT: Ready for Spot PL
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

whitlang wrote: March 21st, 2023, 8:05 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_07_davis_128kb.mp3

First time I've done this, so I'm not sure I'm doing it right, but here goes...
WOW!! That was great. Your inflection, phrasing along with your voice made an amazing premiere. :clap:

I did find three small things that you should look at:

At the very beginning, could you cut a little time off of the silence? The goal at Librivox is between .5 and 1 second before the start of your reading.

6:07 He must have known a bit about finance, You said been

12:17 The earlier parts of the story or the scenes may lag. You said points

Two 'technical' things to look at. The target volume for LV (Librivox) is 89 decibels with a range of 87-91. Yours is came in at 87.9, on the lower end, so if you could bring it up a little, that would be great. A program that was written just for LV called Checker (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker) will tell you what your volume, background noise levels and other stats are.

The program I use for getting the correct volume level is called MP3Gain (https://sourceforge.net/projects/mp3gain/). Enter 89 into the "target normal volume" then "add file", "Track Analysis" then "track gain" and it will bring you volume very close.

For background noise reduction, after you have done the above, go into Audacity, 'select' a portion of the 'quiet' (non speaking) sections of the recording which seem to have noise in them, click on Effect on the top bar, select Noise Reduction, click on "Get Noise Profile" then click on 'select' on the bottom of the blue bar at the left in Audacity, then back to Noise Reduction, then click on OK. The program will then take those noises out of the entire recording. That should bring you close to the 30 goal for the background noise (as noted in Checker).

I hope this helps. I am looking forward to hearing more of your recordings.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX!! :D

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Roselbex wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 5:29 pm I have uploaded Section 2 Length 13:59
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sketchesofgotham_02_davis_128kb.mp3
Great Job!! Section 2 is PLOK :thumbs: right out of the box.
Wayne