Religious Tracts of Mason Weems

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Currently listening to the most recent episode of American Hysteria about the history of Chick Tracts, which briefly mentioned the religious pamphlets written by Mason Weems (a sort of 19th-century precursor to Jack Chick, similarly fire and brimstone). These are largely sensationalized, pot-stirring narratives that serve a proselytizing purpose, covering all manner of "contemporary" issues: temperance, fidelity, criminality, etc. The podcast's description of these works sounded pretty wild and fascinating, so I checked to see if any of them were available on Archive.org and... I found these. These are pretty fascinating cultural artifacts that might be of interest to someone!

The Drunkard's Looking Glass
Hymen's Recruiting Sergeant
God's Revenge Against Adultery
God's Revenge Against Murder
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hymen's Recruiting Sergeant has some missing pages and some pages poorly scanned (kinda smudged). The rest look okay. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

TriciaG wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 8:39 am Hymen's Recruiting Sergeant has some missing pages and some pages poorly scanned (kinda smudged). The rest look okay. :)
Thanks for letting me know. There’s another scan I can link to, when I get back to my computer.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS