[Complete] The King's Son, A Memoir of Billy Bray - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Hawden

Post by Hawden »

The King's Son, a Memoir of Billy Bray, by Frederick William Bourne (1830 - 1905)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-kings-son-or-a-memoir-of-billy-bray-by-frederick-william-bourne/

The King's Son, Or, A Memoir of Billy Bray, (1794 - 1868) was first published in 1871; it has been in print throughout the last century-and-a-half having been reissued over 50 times. Today there is renewed interest in Billy Bray's infectiously happy expression of his Christian faith with two new biographies being released in the 21st century.

This original memoir was written by F W Bourne, a leading fellow member of the Bible Christian fellowship. Drawing heavily on Billy Bray's own diaries it tells the story of Billy's early godless life and drunkeness, his conversion to Jesus Christ, his poverty as a Cornish tin miner, his joyful reliance on God for the necessities of life and his county-wide travels as an enthusiastic, happy and single-minded itinerant evangleist.

Billy's joyful faith that 'the Lord will provide' is demonstrated in the account of how Billy and his wife managed to adopt two children in addition to his growing family and in his successfully building three new chapels through his own exertions.

Despite ridicule and opposition nothing daunted Billy Bray's happy confidence and irrepressable joy. Shining through his biography is a man of the bible who believed, and continually demonstrated, that God answers prayer.

This biography has been read on location in the hamlets and chapels of West Cornwall (UK) that are referred to in the book, in the hope that something of their ambience will be evident in the character of the recordings.

by Alan Chant
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/MN40270ucmf_0/page/n13/mode/1up?ref=ol&view=theater

Target completion date: 2023-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_William_Bourne (Frederick William Bourne Bourne)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Bray
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 11
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1872
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Biographies; *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C)

Keywords that describe the book: Christianity, Mining, Biography, Poverty, Joy, Happiness, Praise, Methodism, Bible Christian, 19th. Century, Preaching, Cornwall, Billy Bray, F. W. Bourne, Bible Christian, Chapel Building

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter One of The King's Son, a Memoir of Billy Bray. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." "Read on location in Twelveheads, Cornwall by Alan Chant." "The King's Son, a Memoir of Billy Bray, by Frederick William Bourne. Chapter One."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter (chapter) of The King's Son, a Memoir of Billy Bray, by F. W. Bourne. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Read on location in (location), Cornwall by Alan Chant." "Chapter (chapter)."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter (chapter)."
If you are recording the final chapter of the book, add:
"End of The King's Son, a Memoir of Billy Bray, by F. W. Bourne."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: kingssonamemoirofbillybray_##_bourne_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. kingssonamemoirofbillybray_01_bourne_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: lynnet

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Hawden on November 23rd, 2023, 12:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Alan
"But I want some reading—some fine bold reading, some splendid book..." Noddy Boffin in Our Mutual Friend
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can set this up for you.

It looks like this is your first solo, so I have additional instructions for you. I have added you to the list of BCs (and, in doing so, I noticed your email address... I grew up in Tonbridge. Small world!)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

First of all, near the top of the first post, probably to the right but it may be fairly central, depending on your browser, you will see a stubby little pencil icon. That is so you can edit the first post.

A few things to note:

Have you lined up a DPL? If not, you should add a tilde (~) to the subject line. If you have someone in mind, I will need to give him/her access to the MW. Don't worry if you have no one in mind. Someone will volunteer.

You can edit the summary anytime you wish -- just be sure to let me know, as I have to copy it to the project page. Please note, we are unable to use Wikipedia summaries as they are not PD... but your edits mean it is no longer a Wikipedia summary.

You can change the file name at this point. It should be short but unique (ish)

I will give you instructions for the MW in a separate post, but if you have questions, please ask.
Lynne
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Here are the instructions for logging in to the MW. It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password”
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile.
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login in the wiki.
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:

You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout

To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo

The MW is probably straightforward...
I started entering the titles, to show you how it's done. No need for chapter numbers. Hit enter when you have finished typing. You can either go through entering them all now, or as you go on, one chapter at a time.

I have entered you as reader for all sections.

The notes column is where you put the time for each file. In this column, you have to 'save'.

Paste your URL from the uploader in the Listen URL column, hit enter. The Link column is automatically populated when you do this.

The status column is a drop-down menu. Remember to change the status whenever you upload a file. That triggers a message to Your DPL.

There is no need to paste the link in the thread, as you would for a group project, although many soloists do. Just post "I've uploaded chapter 8" will suffice.

I think that's it. Any questions, please ask.
Have fun!

Oh yes, one more thing. It's on your schedule, but if life happens and you don't post for a couple of months, please post in the thread "I've been busy but still working on it" or something similar, so I don't think you've been abducted by aliens, and abandon the project .
Hawden

Post by Hawden »

The MW is pow populated with Chapter Names
Alan
"But I want some reading—some fine bold reading, some splendid book..." Noddy Boffin in Our Mutual Friend
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

If you are looking for a DPL for this project, I'd be glad to volunteer
~ Larry
Hawden

Post by Hawden »

Hi Larry,

That would be great.
I have recorded one of the chapters and will be editing it soonish. Because I am reading the chapters ‘on location’, in the places that the content suggests, I anticipate some problems that may necessitate re-recording, like too much wind, etc. Anyway I hope you have the chapter ready for PLing in a fess days. I will let you know about progress.
Alan
Hawden

Post by Hawden »

Correction: (More haste, less speed)

"Anyway I hope to have the chapter ready for PLing in a few days. I will let you know about progress."

Best wishes. Great sunshine here in Cornwall, England!

Alan
Alan
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Larry added as DPL.
Hawden

Post by Hawden »

Many thanks,

Alan
Alan
Hawden

Post by Hawden »

I have uploaded Chapter/Section 6.
17min 35sec

Alan
Alan
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Hawden wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:26 am I have uploaded Chapter/Section 6.
17min 35sec

Alan
Well, this is one of the more unusual recordings I've listened to.
Usually we discourage the use of music in LV recordings, but I guess we can consider the birds in the public domain. :lol:

So, if you are happy with the birds, the wind in the microphone at the beginning and the occasional airplane, then I think that is fine by us since this is your solo. Your intro about the recording location does offer the reader a clue about what they are hearing. Personally, I like it. 8-)

Only one thing to take care of. We like the silence at the end to be about 5 seconds, and you have about nine.

Just upload again under the same file name, post the link and time here again so I can give it a quick check..
~ Larry
Hawden

Post by Hawden »

Hi Larry.
Thanks for getting back so quickly.
I will certainly cut down the end silence to 5 seconds. I had it in my mind that it was supposed to be between 5 and 10!

I thought long and hard before going for ‘on location’ recordings. ( Most of them will be indoors, where I hope different reverberation times will show in the quality of the recordings. ( I call it audio ambience!))

I read somewhere that LibriVox was frowning on audio enhancements, ( for copyright reasons I believe) but I have received so many thank-you messages regarding my earlier recordings that mention how much they appreciate the seagulls ( Joshua Slocun) and church bells ( London and Rochester identifiers in Edwin Drood) that I wanted to find a way to paint a location with sound that was acceptable.

I’m quite happy to record in an anechoic room, but my experience of reading where it happened taught me so much more about the biography, which I hope will show in the reading.

Thanks and best wishes, Alan
Alan
Hawden

Post by Hawden »

I have uploaded an edited version of Chapter 6: The final silence is now 5 seconds. The file is now 17 min 30 seconds long. The file should also now be in mono, rather than two identical stereo tracks. Alan
Alan
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

FYI we do not allow “sound effects” or music to be added to files but “ambient noise” is ok.