Complete [Folklore] Bengal Dacoits and Tigers, by Sunity Devi-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

YESBEEYEE wrote: March 21st, 2023, 10:12 pm Ah, just figured out how to respond to a specific message.
:D
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

BrianFullen wrote: March 21st, 2023, 10:15 pm
YESBEEYEE wrote: March 21st, 2023, 10:12 pm Ah, just figured out how to respond to a specific message.
:D
Have figured out a way to reduce the breath sounds that made my recording sound breathless. It still passes the 'Checker' app. Once the PL and MC/BC (latter being you :-)) have made their suggestions, would it be possible for me to upload the "breath-less" file?

Sorry to be a bother!

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello YESBEEYEE!
Your recording is awesome, all tech specs correct, sound is nice and clear, volume good, and no edits needed. I didn't notice your breaths being louder than normal. Breathing sounds natural :D But I will not stop you from uploading your updated file if you want, unless your editing impaired the sound quality in other ways. What method did you use to reduce breath sounds? Feel free to upload your file for feedback anyway, and we can revert to the original or keep the new accordingly.
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 6:37 am Hello YESBEEYEE!
Your recording is awesome, all tech specs correct, sound is nice and clear, volume good, and no edits needed. I didn't notice your breaths being louder than normal. Breathing sounds natural :D But I will not stop you from uploading your updated file if you want, unless your editing impaired the sound quality in other ways. What method did you use to reduce breath sounds? Feel free to upload your file for feedback anyway, and we can revert to the original or keep the new accordingly.
Dear Rapunzelina:

I used Audacity to reduce the breath sounds. Since this was a short recording -- less than 5 minutes -- I went over it spot to spot, locating the breath sounds and turning them down. The new file sounds better, methinks. So may I send it across to you for a quick review and then you could let me know if it can be posted instead of the old one.

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

YESBEEYEE wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 6:53 am
Rapunzelina wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 6:37 am Hello YESBEEYEE!
Dear Rapunzelina:

I used Audacity to reduce the breath sounds. Since this was a short recording -- less than 5 minutes -- I went over it spot to spot, locating the breath sounds and turning them down. The new file sounds better, methinks. So may I send it across to you for a quick review and then you could let me know if it can be posted instead of the old one.

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
And when I post the NEW file, do I keep the same file name as the previous? Asking so that there's no confusion.

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
BriannaChiles

Post by BriannaChiles »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 21st, 2023, 10:06 am
It is definitely better, but it is still too soft, at 85dB. I would give that a 4dB amplification in Audacity. Or, are you using a different software?

Volume is tricky. A visual hint in Audacity is when the waveform peaks above the 0.5 mark:

or in numbers, desired volume range is 87-92dB, 89dB being the bulls eye target. You could use the Checker to measure your volume, then adjust with amplification/de-amplification in Audacity if necessary. The Checker shows the volume of an mp3 file on the "Information" tab.

BriannaChiles wrote: March 19th, 2023, 4:54 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dacoitsandtigers_16_devi_128kb.mp3
Section 16 The Palki and the Tiger
8min 23sec
This is also a bit softer than desired, at 85dB, if you could amplify by 4dB.

Optional: there's an awkward pause mid-sentence at around 3:45 "of the forward men -- concerning the road", I would suggest deleting 1 second of the pause there, if you'd like.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dacoitsandtigers_16_devi_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dacoitsandtigers_05_devi_128kb.mp3
Brianna
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

YESBEEYEE wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 6:54 am

And when I post the NEW file, do I keep the same file name as the previous? Asking so that there's no confusion.

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
Yes, post your revised section 04 recording using filename: dacoitsandtigers_04_devi_128kb.mp3

Thanks for asking.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

BrianFullen wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 8:08 am
YESBEEYEE wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 6:54 am

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
Yes, post your revised section 04 recording using filename: dacoitsandtigers_04_devi_128kb.mp3

Thanks for asking.
Thanks again, Brian. I'm doing that right now.
YESBEEYEE
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

Attn Rapunzelina. Thanks a ton for the happy-inducing feedback. :-) Have uploaded the "breath-less" version of Section 4 for your checks and decision. Here's the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dacoitsandtigers_04_devi_128kb.mp3

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

YESBEEYEE wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:11 am Attn Rapunzelina. Thanks a ton for the happy-inducing feedback. :-) Have uploaded the "breath-less" version of Section 4 for your checks and decision. Here's the link:

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
I'll update the MW to indicate Ready for PL. Thanks.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

YESBEEYEE wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:11 am Attn Rapunzelina. Thanks a ton for the happy-inducing feedback. :-) Have uploaded the "breath-less" version of Section 4 for your checks and decision. Here's the link:

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
You're very welcome! Your new version is also PL OK! :thumbs:

As I said, your breathing is not louder than normal, and it doesn't distract from the flow of the narration, but if you'd like to continue with this practice of reducing breaths, here are a few pointers:
- sometimes, when there is complete silence where you'd expect a breath, it sounds unnatural. Instead of "Generating Silence" (if that is what you used) you could try the "Fade in" effect, so you could still have a breath, but not as pronounced.
- silencing immediately after a word, makes for a very sudden cut, example at 2:13 "He immediately sent information to Calcutta--"; here a "Fade out" could be applied instead.

However, come to think about it, even the above advice can be subjective to preference. Some listeners may prefer complete silence, others may prefer breathing, to remind them to breath, too :lol:
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 10:40 am

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
You're very welcome! Your new version is also PL OK! :thumbs:

As I said, your breathing is not louder than normal, and it doesn't distract from the flow of the narration, but if you'd like to continue with this practice of reducing breaths, here are a few pointers:
- sometimes, when there is complete silence where you'd expect a breath, it sounds unnatural. Instead of "Generating Silence" (if that is what you used) you could try the "Fade in" effect, so you could still have a breath, but not as pronounced.
- silencing immediately after a word, makes for a very sudden cut, example at 2:13 "He immediately sent information to Calcutta--"; here a "Fade out" could be applied instead.

However, come to think about it, even the above advice can be subjective to preference. Some listeners may prefer complete silence, others may prefer breathing, to remind them to breath, too :lol:
Yes, I agree very much with what you say: it seems unnatural when there are no breath sounds at all. Also agree that fade-out would be much better, but I never thought of using that, so thanks for pointing me in that direction. (I do remember the particular silence you point out.)

I think the real problem -- at least in my case -- was psychological: I was/am so worried about the recording souding too "breathy" that all my attention is drawn to just the breath sounds, magnifying their perceived ugliness. I guess that would be the case with at least some other narrators, especially beginners to recording, like me. Doing narration without recording, I have no problem at all, because my attention is not drawn to the breath sounds.

I take it you have posted the PL-okayed "breathless" version, so thank you. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Will give it a listen in a while.

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE

PS: There's a lot of subjectivity, in narration, and in other areas of our lives, that we'd better learn to live with, without getting OCDed. :D :D :D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

YESBEEYEE wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 8:13 pm I take it you have posted the PL-okayed "breathless" version, so thank you. Will give it a listen in a while.
Yes, the magic window contains your last upload :thumbs:

Spoken like a wise man! If you'd like to see what other people are saying/doing about breathing, you could go to the "Need help, got advice" forum and search for "breathing", "breaths", etc. (There's a search box above the forum topics)
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 9:30 pm
YESBEEYEE wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 8:13 pm I take it you have posted the PL-okayed "breathless" version, so thank you. Will give it a listen in a while.
Yes, the magic window contains your last upload :thumbs:

Spoken like a wise man! If you'd like to see what other people are saying/doing about breathing, you could go to the "Need help, got advice" forum and search for "breathing", "breaths", etc. (There's a search box above the forum topics)
Thank you, will listen. And will check out the forum topics for dealing with breath sounds during narration.

One way of seeming wise and getting a better chance at being seen as wise is to seem to agree, or be seen as agreeing, with people. :D Just kidding! So, now don't go calling me Machivellian!!! :D

And must tell you, Brian, and others who gave we a warm onboarding here that I'm glad to be part of this incredibly supportive community.