[COMPLETE] To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Erin,

A quick question. You posted the link below and I had a looked and very quickly found a page of newspaper and magazine reviews. Now that I look again, I can't find them, and, in fact, the whole site looks different and much less accessible. Could you take a look and let me know if you have the same experience?

(I'm asking because I thought of recording some of them as a separate project)

Thanks,

Phil
eggs4ears wrote: January 25th, 2023, 8:35 pm Ooooh! Did you see the newspaper section? Very tempting!
Newgatenovelist wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:59 pm I kept meaning to find this again and pass it on. It's a site all about To the Lighthouse, its contexts, images of Woolf's drafts (so you can see the novel evolve if you click on each link), British and American editions and textual variants, you name it. Have fun in the new playground!
http://www.woolfonline.com/
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Hi Phil,

I’m not certain what I’m looking for. I don’t know what you bookmarked, saved as links or downloaded as you were assembling a provisional ToC for your prospective project, but could you perhaps try searching for article titles or author names (or something similar) using the search feature as a way around the navigation?

There is info about copyright status for different items on the site, if that is something that would help determine what you’re looking for and how it can be used:
http://www.woolfonline.com/?node=about/copyright
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thank you! Well, I hadn't bookmarked anything, that was the problem! But starting from the copyrights page I have looked in a more leisurely fashion this morning and I see that the page I saw is listed under 'contexts' -> 'reviews of to the lighthouse'

http://www.woolfonline.com/?node=content/contextual/gallery&project=1&parent=2&taxa=52

It's quite an interesting collection with some by well known authors (at least I know Arnold Bennett and Edwin Muir). There are 43 x 1927 reviews, all scanned so presumably PD. I wouldn't want to read all them but maybe a selection of the named ones? It's interesting to see how the book was received before it became what it has become today.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It might be interesting to see a collection of reviews on the same book - I assume the part 1 and part 2 are just because they are "continued on the next page". They are scans so they would be fine.

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

A collection of reviews on the same book could also be quite boring, I suppose! I'll have a look and see if I can pick out some of the more interesting ones. But, yes, part 1, 2 etc, is just the next page scan when there is more than one.

For the cover of this one, a possibility is the original, made by Virginia Woolf's sister...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_the_Lighthouse#/media/File:ToTheLighthouse.jpg
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Last two chapters ready for PL! (Part 41 has also been ready for PL for a few days but I forgot to mark it as such in the MW)

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/tothelighthouse_42_woolf_128kb.mp3 - 12:38
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/tothelighthouse_43_woolf_128kb.mp3 - 03:07

Still a correction to make on Part 35 as well as whatever comes up in these three chapters.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 35 is now ready for spot PL!
Newgatenovelist wrote: March 13th, 2023, 4:27 am 7.25-7.28
...but it was what [heard what was it] she knew them by all the same.
I have also made a correction to Part 22 (Chapter 3 of Time Passes). This is a rerecording of the paragraph right at the end, where Mrs. Ramsay's death is reported: 'Mr. Ramsay stumbling along a passage stretched his arms out one dark morning, but Mrs. Ramsay having died rather suddenly the night before he stretched his arms out. They remained empty.'

I'll try to explain. Also I still have the original version to revert to, if you think I have got it wrong.

Actually, the correction is prompted by the TLS review (first on the woolfonline list), who quotes the passage but adds 'surely with a slip in punctuation'). Though the slip is not explained, I remembered that I had a lot of difficulty getting that paragraph to make sense, and in fact I don't think I did get it to make sense. Looking over it again, I think that if the full stop after 'the night before he stretched his arms out' is read as if it were a comma, it starts to make sense. So, first, he stretched his arms out in the morning, then, because she had died 'the night before he stretched his arms out', his arms remained empty.

The reviewer is rather dismissive of the passage quoted and that whole section of the book. But I think it is one of most powerful passages, so it is worth trying to getting it right, or at least to make some kind of sense.

In fact, there are a few passages in the book where I had to mess about with the punctuation to get it to work and most of them involve commas. I'm not sure if commas were VW's strong point - which is not really a criticism because there are so many other strong points and it was experimental writing, after all!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

On Part 22, I am going to answer my own question and restore the original version. Having done a bit of research, I think the original is closer to the intended meaning after all. From a PL point of view, that means, please ignore the previous message and the file is PL OK.

At the risk of being extremely boring, what I have found out is that Virginia Woolf marked up the proofs for the British and American editions (both 1927) independently of each other, so there are several variants, including the Mrs Ramsay death paragraph.

'Mr. Ramsay stumbling along a passage stretched his arms out one dark morning, but Mrs. Ramsay having died rather suddenly the night before he stretched his arms out. They remained empty.' (British edition)

'Mr. Ramsay, stumbling along a passage one dark morning, stretched his arms out, but Mrs. Ramsay having died rather suddenly the night before,
his arms, though stretched out, remained empty. (American edition)

I think that the American version makes sense of the British version, and at any rate it is clear that 'the night before he stretched his arms out' was not intended.

Incidentally, that and what I have read of other variants also clarifies that the Faded Page edition that I read is an American reprint of the British edition, whereas the the PGA version is the American edition.

I also saw that there was also a recording from Legamus catalogued last week, which gives the text source as Faded Page. In fact, the text source of the Legamus recording was PGA, so that is a recording of the American edition, and mine is a recording of the British edition.
Newgatenovelist

Notes for section 41:

5.45, omission
Get that and start afresh; [get that and start afresh;] she said desperately...

20.21-20.26
trying in a hasty way to fasten [heard fashion] hatches and make things shipshape.
Off LV 25-28 March.
Newgatenovelist

Sections 22 and 35 are spot PL OK!
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 41 ready for spot PL! ('fashion' -> 'fasten' is closer to 20:06 than 20:21)
Newgatenovelist

41 is spot PL OK, 43 is PL OK, one note for 42:

11.06-11.13, self-correction
[What was it he thought] What was it he sought, so fixedly, so intently, so silently?
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Part 42 ready for spot PL and made some edits to the summary! If both are OK, we should be ready to catalogue.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi, me again!

I have just posted The Evergreen, Spring magazine on the launchpad - viewtopic.php?p=2173328#p2173328 - if you would like to join me.

I'll get back to Allan's Wife, but I think this one can jump the queue so it comes out while it is still spring (of course it is the beginning of autumn here, but never mind). I have recorded all of it and edited most sections but I'll put them up a few at a time to avoid overwhelming you.

Phil
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

speaking for your DPL (though she hasn't volunteered yet) - just put them all up - you can't outguess the time she may have and it might just be that it would suit her better to do them all together one day and if it doesn't she can take her time :D

Anne