Complete [Folklore] Bengal Dacoits and Tigers, by Sunity Devi-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
nikivm

Post by nikivm »

May i read section 8: A Punjabee Dacoit? Do let me know..
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

nikivm wrote: March 20th, 2023, 9:35 am May i read section 8: A Punjabee Dacoit? Do let me know..
Hi! I would prefer to wait until you get an OK on your 1-minute before accepting your claim for an open section. I do see that the one that you submitted will not quite pass LV technical specifications. The issues are that it is variable, not constant, bit rate and that the bit rate should be 128 kbps, not 108, and the recording should be mono, not stereo. If you attend to those and resubmit your recording I should imagine that you will get an OK to record for LV and I will be pleased to accept a claim from you for an open section. You might wish to consider a download of the freely available Checker program which will let you know that your recording will or will not pass before you upload it. Thank you.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

It is definitely better, but it is still too soft, at 85dB. I would give that a 4dB amplification in Audacity. Or, are you using a different software?

Volume is tricky. A visual hint in Audacity is when the waveform peaks above the 0.5 mark:

or in numbers, desired volume range is 87-92dB, 89dB being the bulls eye target. You could use the Checker to measure your volume, then adjust with amplification/de-amplification in Audacity if necessary. The Checker shows the volume of an mp3 file on the "Information" tab.

BriannaChiles wrote: March 19th, 2023, 4:54 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dacoitsandtigers_16_devi_128kb.mp3
Section 16 The Palki and the Tiger
8min 23sec
This is also a bit softer than desired, at 85dB, if you could amplify by 4dB.

Optional: there's an awkward pause mid-sentence at around 3:45 "of the forward men -- concerning the road", I would suggest deleting 1 second of the pause there, if you'd like.
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

Dear Brian, alg 1001 and project friends:

Just submitted Section 4 of Bengal Dacoits and Tigers.

Here's the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dacoitsandtigers_04_devi_128kb.mp3

This is my first recording for LibriVox :-)

So, general feedback, tech-spec checks and instructions on corrective actions, proof-listeners' mark-ups -- all welcome and, in fact, awaited.

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
Last edited by YESBEEYEE on March 21st, 2023, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

YESBEEYEE wrote: March 21st, 2023, 11:33 am Dear Brian, alg 1001 and project friends:

Just submitted Section 4 of Bengal Dacoits and Tigers.

Here's the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/dacoitsandtigers_04_devi_128kb.mp3

This is my first recording for LibriVox :-)

So, general feedback, tech-spec checks and instructions on corrective actions, proof-listeners mark-ups -- all welcome and, in fact, awaited.

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
Thank you, friend! :clap:
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

Thank ye, Brian!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

YESBEEYEE wrote: March 21st, 2023, 11:48 am Thank ye, Brian!
You are more than welcome (if it is possible to be more than welcome :) ).

Perhaps I should have taken a moment to explain earlier! For this project, I am happy to serve in the role of Book Coordinator (in my poor way, I think of the BC as akin to a project manager). Amy (alg1001) is our indispensable Meta Coordinator (MC) who will ultimately see to it that Bengal Dacoits and Tigers is produced as an audio book in the LV catalog (and exported to archive.org) for the world to enjoy! :wink: Surely! :D Rapunzelina has graciously consented to proof-listen all of the recordings of our many fine narrators on this project ... in other words she is our dedicated proof-listener (DPL). Of course, Amy and Rapunzelina juggle many projects and keep them from falling on the floor. I have no idea how they manage that; I'm just happy that they do. :clap: They're both amazing. Rapunzelina is not just our DPL on this project ... I tend to think of her as our spirit guide, guru and yoga practitioner. Clearly, she is a peach, or maybe a gem! If it is possible to be both, that she is!

Someone wiser and more experienced than I am expounded on the roles and responsibilities of LV volunteers in various roles such as MC, DPL and BC but I am not sure where I found (and have since lost) that link. :oops: Amy, Rapunzelina help, please :help:
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Ben,
Here is the How Librivox Works link that explains it all.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=How_LibriVox_Works
I hope that helps!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

alg1001 wrote: March 21st, 2023, 2:31 pm Hi Ben,
Here is the How Librivox Works link that explains it all.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=How_LibriVox_Works
I hope that helps!
-Amy
It helps me! Thanks. :D
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

Thank you, Brian, for those details, which I was only vaguely aware of -- meaning, no doubt, was too lazy to read up on :D. I'll look through the link Amy has sent.

I take it that I must now await word from Amy and Rapunzelina. Feedback too.

Happy to offer my services as a PL for future projects -- have been an editor for 30 years' and LIKE to think of myself as still sharp on that front.

Warm regards,
YESBEEYEE
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

BrianFullen wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:09 pm

Perhaps I should have taken a moment to explain earlier! For this project, I am happy to serve in the role of Book Coordinator (in my poor way, I think of the BC as akin to a project manager). Amy (alg1001) is our indispensable Meta Coordinator (MC) who will ultimately see to it that Bengal Dacoits and Tigers is produced as an audio book in the LV catalog (and exported to archive.org) for the world to enjoy! :wink: Surely! :D Rapunzelina has graciously consented to proof-listen all of the recordings of our many fine narrators on this project ... in other words she is our dedicated proof-listener (DPL). Of course, Amy and Rapunzelina juggle many projects and keep them from falling on the floor. I have no idea how they manage that; I'm just happy that they do. :clap: They're both amazing. Rapunzelina is not just our DPL on this project ... I tend to think of her as our spirit guide, guru and yoga practitioner. Clearly, she is a peach, or maybe a gem! If it is possible to be both, that she is!

Someone wiser and more experienced than I am expounded on the roles and responsibilities of LV volunteers in various roles such as MC, DPL and BC but I am not sure where I found (and have since lost) that link. :oops: Amy, Rapunzelina help, please :help:
Ah, just figured out how to respond to a specific message.
YESBEEYEE

Post by YESBEEYEE »

YESBEEYEE wrote: March 21st, 2023, 10:12 pm
BrianFullen wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:09 pm

PS: That peach-gem-Rapunzel-yoga combination is a mnemonist's delight! :-)

Ah, just figured out how to respond to a specific message.