[COMPLETE][Short Stories]The Black Cat Vol. 03 No. 6 March 1898 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

a strong story for starters, thank you, Rita. Beautifully narrated. The panic of the poor woman was palpable at the end.

Textually all perfectly narrated, only one small bit missing:

> at 0:27: please insert "section 2" once more here before the title

thanks

Sonia
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and PL ok, thank you, Rita

Sonia
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

Hi, Kitty,

link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0306mar1898_5_various_128kb.mp3
duration: 00:16:12

Please note that I looked up the word cyelienne and could not find it anywhere. I asked a native French speaker how to pronounce it. She did not know nor could she find the word. I guessed.

I have a question. Is there a way to go to a particular spot in a Audacity recording? I know how to move to the beginning and the end, but have been unable to find out how to move to a particular spot, for example, 04:58.

Thanks.

Paula

PS Poor Sin Loo.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

pmessina wrote: March 18th, 2023, 9:17 amhttps://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0306mar1898_5_various_128kb.mp3

Please note that I looked up the word cyelienne and could not find it anywhere. I asked a native French speaker how to pronounce it. She did not know nor could she find the word. I guessed.
the word is not cyelienne, but cyclienne, which is a female cyclist, it's mentioned in this wiki article for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dora_Rinehart. I guess the word is not in use anymore nowadays. But it is pronounced like "sick-lee-ann" stressed on the final syllable if you want to say it the French way
I have a question. Is there a way to go to a particular spot in a Audacity recording? I know how to move to the beginning and the end, but have been unable to find out how to move to a particular spot, for example, 04:58.
hm I am not really sure I understand the question...you can put your cursor on any spot in the Audacity wave window and if you click, you'll be on that specific time stamp you want to be. Is that what you asked ? You must have done that already often, each time you want to spot correct an error. :hmm:

A few small corrections needed:

> at 12:38: (p. 46) "with a pretty Parisian cyclienne" - as discussed above
> at 14:38: (p. 47) "is is Ko Ha's valet" - you omitted "is" and there is a longer pause, maybe a glitch in the audio ?
> at 16:00: please also add "end of section 5" before the final book disclaimer

Indeed poor Sin Loo :( but he escaped without being caught by the police, so he'll get over this initial shock.

A wonderfully entertaining narrative, I really enjoyed it. Thank you

Sonia
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

You were right, this was a good story :)

3: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0306mar1898_3_various_128kb.mp3 (27 mins, 12 secs)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Inkell wrote: March 18th, 2023, 5:34 pmYou were right, this was a good story :)
3: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0306mar1898_3_various_128kb.mp3 (27 mins, 12 secs)
I haven't heard a bad one in this collection yet :9: and this one was especially hooking. Wow, me love a good mummy story. And wonderfully narrated, thank you so much, Inkell. I am happy you enjoyed it as well.

I have a few small notes to edit however:

> at 9:04: (p. 27) "the hilt and scabbard of which" - you say "handle"; I think the correct word for a sword is "hilt" though

> at 11:59: (p. 28) "on that momentous day he came" - you say "monstrous"

> from 27:01 to 27:04: (p. 36) between "at my silence" and "end of section 3" - I would significantly cut the long silence here, over 3 seconds feels really too long for a listener, usually 1.5 maximum is enough for the ending of a story

> at the end: you have 6 seconds of silence instead of the standard 5, you could also cut one second here while you're at it

thanks

Sonia
JulieB3

Post by JulieB3 »

On the off chance anyone needs to step away from this issue for any reason, I'd be willing to step up and help out. Just wanted y'all to know you have back up if you need it.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Sonia,

I regret that I will have to relinquish Section 4. Thank you for understanding.

Take care,

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: March 19th, 2023, 1:27 pmI regret that I will have to relinquish Section 4. Thank you for understanding.
thank you for letting me know right away, Greg. And seeing that we have Julie volunteering immediately, this is no issue at all. (thanks, Julie)

Switch is made. And this gives Julie an unbroken streak of 30 Black Cats !!! :birthday:

Sonia
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Kitty wrote: March 19th, 2023, 3:09 am I haven't heard a bad one in this collection yet :9: and this one was especially hooking. Wow, me love a good mummy story. And wonderfully narrated, thank you so much, Inkell. I am happy you enjoyed it as well.

I have a few small notes to edit however:

> at 9:04: (p. 27) "the hilt and scabbard of which" - you say "handle"; I think the correct word for a sword is "hilt" though

> at 11:59: (p. 28) "on that momentous day he came" - you say "monstrous"

> from 27:01 to 27:04: (p. 36) between "at my silence" and "end of section 3" - I would significantly cut the long silence here, over 3 seconds feels really too long for a listener, usually 1.5 maximum is enough for the ending of a story

> at the end: you have 6 seconds of silence instead of the standard 5, you could also cut one second here while you're at it

thanks

Sonia
Hopefully okay now: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0306mar1898_3_various_128kb.mp3
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

Hi, Kitty,

I believe this is all right now.

link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/blackcat0306mar1898_5_various_128kb.mp3
duration: 00:16:14

I believe we misunderstood each other. I probably don't have the Audacity vocabulary to explain what I need. I'll use a Word analogy. If I'm on page 38 of a document and I want to go to page 12, I press control + G and enter the page number. I'm not on page 12. I have been unable to find an explanation anywhere of how to go to a specific spot in Audacity. I don't know what the wave window is and did not understand your answer.

Thanks.

Paula
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yes absolutely PL ok, thank you :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

pmessina wrote: March 20th, 2023, 8:30 amI believe this is all right now.
nice edits, and PL ok now, thank you
I have been unable to find an explanation anywhere of how to go to a specific spot in Audacity. I don't know what the wave window is and did not understand your answer.
I don't have a specific technical Audacity jargon either. :? With the "window" I meant the part in Audacity you see, where your audio "waves" show up as spiked lines while you record. On top of that window you can read the time stamps, so if you want to go to any specific spot, you can put your cursor on that time stamp and click then you are where you want to be.

It's like scrolling down the pages in Word to stay in your analogy only here you are scrolling sideways. I am not aware of a specific "search" box that where you can input a time stamp which will bring you to the right spot without scrolling. Doesn't mean there is one, but I don't know where. But the scrolling usually doesn't take much time as the files are often quite short. I never had a problem so far getting to the right spot very fast.

Not sure whether this answers your question. If you want maybe more informed answers, maybe post your question in the help forum, more people will see it there and one of them is bound to know more about this.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

Sonia
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

Sonia,

It all comes down to asking the right question. The word I wanted was Zoom. Finally found an answer:
Zooming--To move to different positions in the track with the mouse, it is easier if you are fully zoomed out with the View > Tracksize > Fit to Width command (Ctrl + F), or the The Fit to Width tool Fit to Width button on the extreme right of Edit Toolbar.

If the track is zoomed in, you can drag the horizontal scroll bar near the bottom of the screen to find a new position to play from, but you cannot do this while the track is playing, unless you go to the Tracks section of Preferences and uncheck 'Auto-scroll if head unpinned'. If that feature is unchecked, once the green playback cursor moves past the right edge of the window, you will always need to drag the horizontal scrollbar in order to see the current playback position, or fit the whole Project in the window so you can see the whole track again without scrolling.

Hallelujah!

Paula