COMPLETE - Light Freights by WW Jacobs - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Section 8 is PL OK :thumbs:
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Section 1 recorded; must edit.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Here is Section 1 27:10

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lightfreights_01_jacobs_128kb.mp3

Great book. Thanks for offering this.

Thanks, Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

ToddHW wrote: March 17th, 2023, 8:35 am Here is Section 1 27:10

Thanks, Todd
That was some, fast editing! Thanks Todd :thumbs:

Glad you enjoyed it, it is a good find and I intend to do the other similar books by this same author as well so hopefully they are as good as this one
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

ToddHW wrote: March 17th, 2023, 8:35 am Here is Section 1 27:10

Thanks, Todd
Section 1 PL OK :thumbs:
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

elsieselwyn wrote: March 18th, 2023, 2:21 pm Section 1 PL OK :thumbs:
Great, thanks! :thumbs:

Only waiting on MontyG's spot PL corrections and then I think my first BC project is ready for cataloguing :9:
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Inkell wrote: March 18th, 2023, 5:43 pm
elsieselwyn wrote: March 18th, 2023, 2:21 pm Section 1 PL OK :thumbs:
Great, thanks! :thumbs:

Only waiting on MontyG's spot PL corrections and then I think my first BC project is ready for cataloguing :9:
You might want to send them a PM just giving them a heads up that the project is almost done as a gentle nudge to have them edit and reupload their section soon
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

elsieselwyn wrote: March 19th, 2023, 5:29 pm You might want to send them a PM just giving them a heads up that the project is almost done as a gentle nudge to have them edit and reupload their section soon
Okay I sent them a PM, they do still a month before their 2 month deadline is up though but if they had missed the fact it got PL'd they should know now
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Inkell wrote: March 20th, 2023, 8:05 am
elsieselwyn wrote: March 19th, 2023, 5:29 pm You might want to send them a PM just giving them a heads up that the project is almost done as a gentle nudge to have them edit and reupload their section soon
Okay I sent them a PM, they do still a month before their 2 month deadline is up though but if they had missed the fact it got PL'd they should know now
Ok! I did not actually know how long ago they had claimed their section. It is good that they are not running up to their deadline :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And they are around; logged into Librivox last only 5 days ago.

Thanks, Todd
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

elsieselwyn wrote: March 20th, 2023, 8:22 am Ok! I did not actually know how long ago they had claimed their section. It is good that they are not running up to their deadline :)
Yeah they claimed it on the 21st so it's been exactly one month today and they have exactly one month left before their deadline unless they request an extension, everyone had a quite a fast turnaround on their sections. It'd be nice to wrap this up sooner but they still have plenty of time and Todd says they're around so that's good news, no worries yet :thumbs:
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

So it's now passed MontyG's deadline, I was going to send them another PM warning them they have a week then we'll have to orphan their section (I mean correct me if I'm wrong but to my understanding that's what happens in these situations) but I don't think they even read my first message from a month ago so I'm not sure there's any point, I don't think they've been online since Todd last said even
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Inkell wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 5:48 am So it's now passed MontyG's deadline, I was going to send them another PM warning them they have a week then we'll have to orphan their section (I mean correct me if I'm wrong but to my understanding that's what happens in these situations) but I don't think they even read my first message from a month ago so I'm not sure there's any point, I don't think they've been online since Todd last said even
Well that's a bummer. That is correct that you can orphan a section once it is past the reader's deadline. If they haven't been online since Todd said so and haven't read your message, I would agree that there might not be any point in sending a second warning. I don't know if Todd has a different opinion though.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I confess I don't give warnings, particularly since I started to put the claim expiration date in the MW so it is obvious to anyone paying the least attention.

Everyone always answered warnings with "oh yes, I meant to do it and will start any day now" and another month or two goes by with those who sent their stuff in on time not seeing their efforts going into the catalog, and new readers not getting a chance to jump in on an orphaned section....

On the other hand, I do give extensions to valid claims upon request without question.

Thanks, Todd
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

elsieselwyn wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 4:44 pm
Inkell wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 5:48 am So it's now passed MontyG's deadline, I was going to send them another PM warning them they have a week then we'll have to orphan their section (I mean correct me if I'm wrong but to my understanding that's what happens in these situations) but I don't think they even read my first message from a month ago so I'm not sure there's any point, I don't think they've been online since Todd last said even
Well that's a bummer. That is correct that you can orphan a section once it is past the reader's deadline. If they haven't been online since Todd said so and haven't read your message, I would agree that there might not be any point in sending a second warning. I don't know if Todd has a different opinion though.
When I did the PL (viewtopic.php?p=2163552#p2163552) I thought that the real issue with the section is missing text. I guess I still feel that way. I could be wrong, but I don't actually see a way around this short of reassigning. Am I wrong? Maybe it can be advertised under Orphans (viewtopic.php?t=140) with a quick turnaround requested. I've had to do that twice in the past and on both occasions I believe the same volunteer bailed me out with a prompt turnaround and exceptionally fine recording.

I hope I am not speaking out of turn here. I wouldn't interpose at all except that I was peripherally involved as the volunteer who did the PL.
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer