COMPLETE [SOLO HISTORY] France, Spain and the Rif, Part 1 by Walter Burton Harris - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: March 14th, 2023, 6:07 am Notes for your consideration (as usual i'm not that sure which ones are more optional):

1@01:21
the fact that the two Powers most interested at that point
the fact that the two Powers most interested at that period

4@07:05
the fact [...] have her an undisputed right
the fact [...] have her an indisputable right

17@31:04
It has been argued, and with reason
It had been argued, and with reason

18@32:20
It is possession by such a weak authority as was the Sultan
Its possession by such a weak authority as was the Sultan

19@34:17
Spain is today a firm and valuable ally to the two Entente Powers
Spain is today a firm and valuable friend to the two Entente Powers
Hi Claudia,

Thanks especially for the guidance on pronunciation. Please tell me if it still isn't on point :D

Ready for Spot PL. New Length 35:41.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

:thumbs: :thumbs:
Alister

Post by Alister »

Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Hi Alister

Section 2

22@03:47
The Berber tribes were often as inhospitable to the Arab
The Berber tribes were often almost as inhospitable to the Arab

32@21:23
But the pagan rites […] are not limited to these pilgrimages to the saints’ tombs
But the pagan rites […] are not limited to these pilgrimages to saints’ tombs

32@22:25
In the former there are still a number of surviving examples
In the former there are a number of surviving examples

34@25:28
They have lived in a perpetual state of war, now and against a common enemy
They have lived in a perpetual state of war, now and again against a common enemy

34@26:46
Alone, lying in wait, he killed eight members of the hated class
Alone, lying long in wait, he killed eight members of the hated class

35@27:40
Tribes whose animosity […] have made peace in order to obey, and to obey blindly
Tribes whose animosity […] made peace in order to obey, and to obey blindly

36@29:02
The first thing a boy learns […] –and how to handle a knife and rifle
The first thing a boy learns […] –and to handle a knife and rifle

Section 3

38/39@03:13
Badi, the principal town and port of that part of northern Morocco
Badi, the principal town and port of that part of North Morocco

39@03:39 + 42@09:12 + 44@14:52
Ceuta could be better recognised with a more Spanish-like accent. Try https://es.forvo.com/word/ceuta/

42@09:40 + end of quote
Deliberate noises?

P.S. I notice that you have a tendency to add articles. I don’t think it matters much; I usually stop and consider if it does - like I do with minor discrepancies, then write a note or move on, case by case.
P.S.' Do let me know if I mess up the page/time info!
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: March 19th, 2023, 2:11 pm Section 2

22@03:47
The Berber tribes were often as inhospitable to the Arab
The Berber tribes were often almost as inhospitable to the Arab

32@21:23
But the pagan rites […] are not limited to these pilgrimages to the saints’ tombs
But the pagan rites […] are not limited to these pilgrimages to saints’ tombs

32@22:25
In the former there are still a number of surviving examples
In the former there are a number of surviving examples

34@25:28
They have lived in a perpetual state of war, now and against a common enemy
They have lived in a perpetual state of war, now and again against a common enemy

34@26:46
Alone, lying in wait, he killed eight members of the hated class
Alone, lying long in wait, he killed eight members of the hated class

35@27:40
Tribes whose animosity […] have made peace in order to obey, and to obey blindly
Tribes whose animosity […] made peace in order to obey, and to obey blindly

36@29:02
The first thing a boy learns […] –and how to handle a knife and rifle
The first thing a boy learns […] –and to handle a knife and rifle
Hi :D

Section 2 edited. New Length 31:51.

Corrections won't be as smooth unfortunately as I moved to a new microphone between Sections 2 and 3. Not sure if vocals sound *better* or not, but when it comes to blocking out background noise I am very impressed.
DrSpoke wrote: March 19th, 2023, 2:11 pm P.S. I notice that you have a tendency to add articles. I don’t think it matters much; I usually stop and consider if it does - like I do with minor discrepancies, then write a note or move on, case by case.
P.S.' Do let me know if I mess up the page/time info!
Happy to roll with your best judgement :).

Understood. I'll let you know if I notice a time stamp off.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Enjoy your new mic, and if it turns out to be magically cicadas-proof I am top of the list to be informed about it!
That's just in the hope that it could then screen out dogs barking, birds chirping, rain and wind, neighbours, builders, Latin style motorcycles, trucks on very uneven roads, my swearing every two minutes, etc.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: March 20th, 2023, 1:56 am Happy to roll with your best judgement :).
This must be the rare emoticon with a beauty spot!
Section 2 pl ok.
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: March 20th, 2023, 2:34 am Enjoy your new mic, and if it turns out to be magically cicadas-proof I am top of the list to be informed about it!
That's just in the hope that it could then screen out dogs barking, birds chirping, rain and wind, neighbours, builders, Latin style motorcycles, trucks on very uneven roads, my swearing every two minutes, etc.
I feel your pain :shock: :cry:

I went from a RODE NT-USB+ to the RODE XDM-100. Which is specifically marketed at streamers; i.e. capturing vocals in a sub-optimal environment.

I live adjacent to a main road - maybe 7 meters back, so it seems to handle traffic pretty well and better than my old mike. But probably not trucks or over-engined muscle cars gunning it? They have always been a problem before. I need to do a lot more testing before I'd recommend it. Been cold today, so no cicadas to test against there.

One interesting hardware-based option which I've heard about, if you have a very recent AMD graphics card is AMD Noise Suppression. My GPU is not supported so I cannot attest; but it is A.I. Noise Removal - wipes background noises out very effectively apparently, but reduces sound quality a bit.

Just stumbled upon references to Nvidia having something similar called RTX voice. . . and. . . to this also; ASUS Ai Noise-Canceling Mic Adapter.
Alister

Post by Alister »

Section 3 edited.

Yeah, the noises were deliberate :wink:

That is something I occasionally do.

Audio dramas with full soundscapes can be very immersive. Not everyone's cup of tea, of course. But properly done, I think SFX are only an improvement.

I do have quite a few licensed sound effects, but how that license would interact with a public domain dedication I have no clue. So I don't use them.

But I do have a microphone and that can record other sounds just as well as it can my voice :D
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Alister wrote: March 20th, 2023, 1:56 am Corrections won't be as smooth unfortunately as I moved to a new microphone between Sections 2 and 3. Not sure if vocals sound *better* or not, but when it comes to blocking out background noise I am very impressed.
I haven't listened and probably it's perfectly smooth, but my edits are very jarring so I sometimes prefer to leave in small mistakes rather than have unmatching sound.

I recently tried an expensive (to me) headset, designed to isolate noise, but at times it considered my voice to be background noise and the resulting recording was rubbish. If I'm reading the box correctly the headset is called Evolve2-40 from Jabra. I got it when we had to work from home due to lock down, but the headset remains in the box, such a waste...
Alister wrote: March 20th, 2023, 4:26 am I do have quite a few licensed sound effects, but how that license would interact with a public domain dedication I have no clue. So I don't use them.
Librivox has a "no sound effects" policy for this reason :thumbs:
Alister

Post by Alister »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 20th, 2023, 9:28 am I recently tried an expensive (to me) headset, designed to isolate noise, but at times it considered my voice to be background noise and the resulting recording was rubbish. If I'm reading the box correctly the headset is called Evolve2-40 from Jabra. I got it when we had to work from home due to lock down, but the headset remains in the box, such a waste...
Can you turn off noise-removal, perhaps?

My last microphone is really good. Thing is. . . I know what my finances and the wider economic situation are like now, but both are subject to change. So sitting on a spare mic, big expense or no, is all good in my books in case my mic breaks and replacing it in future is not so easy as now.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Thanks for the info.
I can only say that noise removal in Audacity wipes your soul if not used sparingly - although I imagine that investing some time trial-and-error tweaking the various values could really pay off in the long term.
Pl ok
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Hi!

62@26:28
Abdel Malek left Tetuan […] to take command of a large force of the Spanish Army
Abdel Malek left Tetuan […] to take command of a large native force of the Spanish Army

64@29:21
And contraband on the shores of the Mediterranean had never been considered a crime
And contraband on the shores of the Mediterranean has never been considered a crime

64@29:41 ````````` 3 lines missing:
It is not easy to grasp how it was that […] taking action against the Spaniards