[Complete] Coffee Break Collection #35 - BIRDS - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Curlew's Bill is PL OK. Thank you. So that's why that bird's bill is so ridiculously long and thin! A cute tale.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded The Gay Goshawk

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc35_gaygoshawk_wj_128kb.mp3 16:57

STORIES FROM THE BALLADS TOLD TO THE CHILDREN
BY MARY MACGREGOR 1910

Source:
https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/22175/pg22175-images.html#THE_GAY_GOSHAWK
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Below is a list of books given by the new AI chatbotutilities, ChatGPT, Bing AI, Jaser.AI, Copy.AI, etc.
The prompts I used were of this type:
"Give me a list of 20 books in the public domain that are about birds."

I used several variations of this prompt with the various AI utilities.

After getting a group of results, I visually scanned the blurbs and then looked up interesting titles in Gutenberg, Internet Archive and Hathi Trust.
I stitched the results together and then tried to weed out the duplicates. I might have missed a few duplicates. But, perhaps others in this thread will find some usable material that interests them.

I've already submitted 3 items for this project, so I should probably stop. I offer these sources to anyone interested.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

If anyone is interested in how to use ChatGPT, Bing AI, etc. they can PM me and I'll explain more about this new and very useful way of finding PD possibilities.

List of PD books about birds:
Bird PD books
=============

Extinct Birds by Baron Lionel Walter Rothschild Rothschild

Birds of Prey by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. This is a Victorian novel about a con man and his schemes.

The Birds of Prey of Minnesota by Thomas Sadler Roberts. This is a scientific report on the distribution, habits and status of raptors in Minnesota.

The Birds of Prey: A Practical Handbook by William B. Osgood Field. This is a guide for birdwatchers and naturalists on how to identify and observe raptors.
The Book of Eagles by John A. Livingston. This is a book about the natural history, ecology and culture of eagles around the world.

A Falconry Manual by Frank L. Beebe. This is a manual for falconers on how to train and care for their birds of prey.
The Peregrine Falcon by Derek Ratcliffe. This is a comprehensive study of the biology, ecology and conservation of the peregrine falcon, one of the fastest animals on earth.

Owls: Their Life and Behavior by Julius Ruffing[12]. This is a book about the nocturnal habits, adaptations and diversity of owls.

Vultures: Their Evolution, Ecology & Conservation by Michael O’Neal Campbell[13]. This is a book about the evolution, ecology and conservation of vultures, nature’s scavengers.

Eagles: Masters Of The Sky by Candace Savage[14]. This is a book about the behavior, intelligence and majesty of eagles.

Birds of Prey** by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. This is a Victorian novel about a con man and his schemes. -

**The Birds of Prey: A Practical Handbook** by William B. Osgood Field. This is a guide for birdwatchers and naturalists on how to identify and observe raptors. -

**The Book of Eagles** by John A. Livingston. This is a book about the natural history, ecology and culture of eagles around the world.

**Hawks Aloft: The Story of Hawk Mountain** by Maurice Broun. This is a book about the conservation efforts at Hawk Mountain Sanctuary in Pennsylvania, where thousands of migrating raptors can be seen every year.

**A Falconry Manual** by Frank L. Beebe. This is a manual for falconers on how to train and care for their birds of prey. -

**The Peregrine Falcon** by Derek Ratcliffe. This is a comprehensive study of the biology, ecology and conservation of the peregrine falcon, one of the fastest animals on earth. -

**Owls: Their Life and Behavior** by Julius Ruffing. This is a book about the nocturnal habits, adaptations and diversity of owls. -

**Vultures: Their Evolution, Ecology & Conservation** by Michael O'Neal Campbell. This is a book about the evolution, ecology and conservation of vultures, nature's scavengers. -

**Eagles: Masters Of The Sky** by Candace Savage. This is a book about the behavior, intelligence and majesty of eagles.

Birds Of Prey Of The World: A Coloured Guide To Identification Of All Diurnal Species (Their Status And Distribution) by Leslie H. Brown. This is a guide to all 313 species of diurnal raptors in the world, with color illustrations and maps.

Raptor! A Kid’s Guide To Birds Of Prey by Christyna M. Laubach[18]. This is a book for children that introduces them to different types of raptors, their characteristics and habitats.

Raptor Research And Management Techniques Manual (Second Edition) edited by David M. Bird. This is a manual for researchers and managers who work with raptors, covering topics such as capture methods, banding techniques, telemetry systems, population monitoring and conservation strategies.

**Hawks In Flight: The Flight Identification Of North American Migrant Raptors** by Pete Dunne. This is a book that helps birders identify raptors in flight using shape, size, color and behavior cues.

**The Goshawk** by T.H. White. This is a memoir of the author's attempt to train a wild goshawk using medieval methods.

**Raptor! A Kid's Guide To Birds Of Prey** by Christyna M. Laubach. This is a book for children that introduces them to different types of raptors, their characteristics and habitats. -

**Raptor Research And Management Techniques Manual (Second Edition)** edited by David M. Bird. This is a manual for researchers and managers who work with raptors, covering topics such as capture methods, banding techniques, telemetry systems, population monitoring and conservation strategies.

Here are some books in the public domain that are about birds of prey:

On The Wing: To The Edge Of The Earth With The Peregrine Falcon by Alan Tennant. This is a book that recounts the author’s journey across America with a peregrine falcon named George V., tracking its migration route using radio signals.

H Is For Hawk by Helen Macdonald[21]. This is a book that tells the story of how the author trained a goshawk named Mabel after her father’s death, exploring themes such as grief, nature and history.

The Golden Eagle (Second Edition) edited by Jeff Watson[22]. This is an updated edition of the definitive monograph on one of Britain’s most iconic birds of prey , the golden eagle , covering its biology, ecology , status and management .
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Addendum to the previous posting about AI utilities.

Samples of form of other profitable AI Prompts are:

Give a list of books in the public domain which are ....
-- about birds
-- fiction about birds
-- children's books about pet birds
-- about ancient/mythical/imaginary birds
-- birds found in Antarctica
-- about domesticated birds
-- about the Birdman of Alcatraz
etc. etc.

Write prompts to the AI agent of your choice as tho you were speaking to a human assistant.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Bill, We have 7 more slots in this project. Feel free to contribute a few more.

A far better place to discuss AI prompts would be to start or contribute to a thread in the Discussion forum. It will shortly get buried and forgotten here.
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Gray Goshawk is PL OK. Thank you. That was a tall tale, for sure. I know because in a real story, the bird would have dropped the letter from under his wing when he went to flying.
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

This feels a bit like cheating - I've simply changed the intro and outro for a recording already submitted some time ago to a Short Poetry collection. Hope that's OK.

The Darkling Thrush, by Thomas Hardy

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc35_darklingthrush_pjw_128kb.mp3

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3168/3168-h/3168-h.htm#page399

1:58
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

PatrickLondon wrote: March 9th, 2023, 5:10 am This feels a bit like cheating - I've simply changed the intro and outro for a recording already submitted some time ago to a Short Poetry collection. Hope that's OK.

The Darkling Thrush, by Thomas Hardy

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cbc35_darklingthrush_pjw_128kb.mp3

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3168/3168-h/3168-h.htm#page399

1:58
Actually, Patrick, that's against the rules. But it's short enough, you could easily re-record it! :D
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

From our Recording and Text Policies (see the wiki)
Please note that we do not allow the same recording to be used in more than one LibriVox project. For example, if you record a poem for a LibriVox poetry collection and later decide to record a book of poetry that includes the same poem, you must make a new recording of that poem.
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

williamjones wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:05 pm Below is a list of books given by the new AI chatbotutilities, ChatGPT, Bing AI, Jaser.AI, Copy.AI, etc.
Ha! Cool! I wonder if it would be "smart" enough to figure out the prompt "Give me a list of 20 books in the public domain that are about birds and are not in the Librivox catalogue"
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

quartertone wrote: March 9th, 2023, 6:12 pm
williamjones wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:05 pm Below is a list of books given by the new AI chatbotutilities, ChatGPT, Bing AI, Jaser.AI, Copy.AI, etc.
Ha! Cool! I wonder if it would be "smart" enough to figure out the prompt "Give me a list of 20 books in the public domain that are about birds and are not in the Librivox catalogue"
Good question! I doubt it, but I'll try it tomorrow and reply to you via PM.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

:lol: That would be almost scary!
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: March 9th, 2023, 6:26 pm
:lol: That would be almost scary!
The difficult part will be framing the prompt to the AI -- if the catalog info is even available to it.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
TommyMer

Post by TommyMer »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Tom, will listen soon.