[Solved]Librivox automatically plays in my car (Bluetooth)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Brewerpaul

Post by Brewerpaul »

I don't know if this is an app problem or an Android problem but it's annoying. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A52, and I usually stream Librivox to my Mazda 3 via Bluetooth.
Recently, whenever I start the car, the book I've been listening to automatically starts playing. If I'm in the car with someone else who doesn't want to listen, I have to turn
off the car's audio.
Even after restarting my phone, the Librivox widget appears on the pull-down notification screen. I can't CLEAR it off there.
Any ideas? I suspect it's more of an Android issue, but I'm open to suggestions.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We don't have anything to do with any apps - you'd be better to ask the ones who made it. Our readings are public domain so a number of people set up apps and channels which use them.

Anne
Brewerpaul

Post by Brewerpaul »

Oops...thanks, I knew that.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I have recently had a similar problem with a music app I use - as soon as Android auto loads, whatever song is next on the play list automatically starts playing. I agree it's annoying!
Jo
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

This isn't really an app issue, so I wouldn't bother the app developer about it.

Depending on your Android device and Android OS, there may be a setting that will take care of this.

On my device (Oneplus 8T with Android 11) I go to Settings -> Sounds&Vibration -> Earphone mode. There, I have a toggle setting called "Auto Play (Automatically resume music playback when connecting earphones)" which I have set to off. I haven't had any issues with my music auto playing when I connect via Bluetooth to my headphones, speakers, or car, so it seems to be working as expected.

Maybe/hopefully you have a similar setting?
Brewerpaul

Post by Brewerpaul »

quartertone wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 11:41 pm This isn't really an app issue, so I wouldn't bother the app developer about it.

Depending on your Android device and Android OS, there may be a setting that will take care of this.

On my device (Oneplus 8T with Android 11) I go to Settings -> Sounds&Vibration -> Earphone mode. There, I have a toggle setting called "Auto Play (Automatically resume music playback when connecting earphones)" which I have set to off. I haven't had any issues with my music auto playing when I connect via Bluetooth to my headphones, speakers, or car, so it seems to be working as expected.

Maybe/hopefully you have a similar setting?
I agree that it's not an app problem and acknowledged that in a previous reply.
Alas, my phone does not have the Earphone setting that you suggested.
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

If you're not afraid of a little tinkering, you could could use Tasker to solve this issue.

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-disable-bluetooth-automatic-playback-on-any-android-phone/

The instructions are given in paragraph form so it looks more complicated than it really is. Here are the instructions distilled, for anyone who might want to try it out:

* Download Tasker from the Play store.
* Open Tasker, go to the Profiles tab (should be default)
* Press the + icon to create a new profile.
* Select State --> Net --> BT Connected. Press the "<--" in the upper left corner to continue. (No need to add BT names or addresses unless you want to limit the devices on which to prevent autoplay.)
* Select New Task, and press the check to continue (no name needed)
* Press the + to add a task
* Select Media --> Media Button Events
* The default Action is "Grab" which is what you want. Press the "<--" in the upper left corner to continue, and again to get back to the main profile screen.
* If there is a check at the top of your screen next to the magnifying glass, press it to apply the new settings.
* Done!

The article says
Don't worry, though, as this doesn't mean that Tasker will continue grabbing Media Button key events indefinitely. As mentioned previously, any application can request to do this, so when you manually start playback on your desired media player of choice, it will then take back control of listening to Media Button key events.
Hope that helps!