COMPLETE [DR][Hardy Boys #2] The House on the Cliff-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you, ThankUJerry! I really like this characterization of Biff Hooper, and I'm glad to have you aboard!

There's only one line I'd like to have you re-take, as some kind of background noise seems to interfere with it - that's in chapter 4, @0:10, where you say "Me neither!"

Now for entirely optional extra feedback, which I give in the spirit of a learning opportunity. That said, it's a learning opportunity for me too, and you may well know more of what I'm talking about than I do. :lol:

I noticed that some lines start off at a regular-or-maybe-high volume, and then get almost too quiet. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe you're using a limiter, either as a hardware component or a software plugin. When the limiter detects that your input volume has gone over a certain threshold, it gradually reduces the sensitivity for a while, to keep things from getting too loud.

These things are very adjustable, and I suspect this one is set to reduce the sensitivity (and so the volume) by a bit more than we'd prefer - so the lines that start off louder end very quiet, rather than settle on a more even volume. You can kinda see this happening in chapter 2, but most clearly with "We're locked in!" @0:42.

Again, just the one line in chapter 4 needs a re-take, I'll be able to fiddle the volume on the others without much trouble. Having very little noise in the file really helps with that!

Work on the next book continues, I'm adapting scripts since there's a preview of the Gutenberg text available, but I'll wait to start the project until it's officially published. If I understand the process correctly, that'll be sometime soonish after the preview ends - another week from now. But I'm happy enough for the extra editing time. :P
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

redrun wrote: January 15th, 2023, 6:16 pm
victoriaalicebell wrote: January 15th, 2023, 5:21 pm Could I please read the role for Woman?
Yes, indeed! I've assigned two sections for you, further down the MW. Looks like you've already done some DRs, so you already know the part about voice credit instead of the usual intro, and the 3-5 seconds of silence. Thanks for being part of the project. :D
Thank you!
Here is my recording for chapter 11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/houseonthecliff_woman_11.mp3
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

victoriaalicebell wrote: February 17th, 2023, 5:41 am Thank you!
Alright! Will PL today. :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Chapter 11 for "Woman", PL OK! :thumbs:
This file's pretty quiet (85 dB, where we aim for 86-92), but I'll be able to amplify without any trouble. :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

May I read the Hesitant Smuggler?

Thanks, Todd
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

ToddHW wrote: February 18th, 2023, 7:22 am May I read the Hesitant Smuggler?

Thanks, Todd
Yes, please! Sections assigned. :D
GilmoreDon

Post by GilmoreDon »

Here is Bill Kane's lines from Chapter 6. The file is 3'6" long. Chapter 8 coming soon.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/houseonthecliff_mrbillkane_06.mp3

Don
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

GilmoreDon wrote: February 18th, 2023, 7:26 pm Here is Bill Kane's lines from Chapter 6. The file is 3'6" long. Chapter 8 coming soon.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/houseonthecliff_mrbillkane_06.mp3

Don
Thanks, Don! Bill Kane for chapter 6 is PL OK! :thumbs:
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

redrun wrote: February 17th, 2023, 8:31 am
Chapter 11 for "Woman", PL OK! :thumbs:
This file's pretty quiet (85 dB, where we aim for 86-92), but I'll be able to amplify without any trouble. :)
OK thank you!
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Can I have Perry?
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October 1919: 3 roles left
Good Words: January 1870: 6 roles left
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

elsieselwyn wrote: February 19th, 2023, 5:45 pm Can I have Perry?
Yes, indeed, welcome aboard! Sections are assigned. :wink:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

We now have a Gutenberg text of book #1, The Tower Treasure! I've already adapted a preview into a script, but now that it's officially published, I'll be launching that DR either this evening or tomorrow.

Everyone who'd like to reprise their role in the other book is welcome to do so! I'll hold the roles in the new project for you for three days, after which they'll be opened up as first-come, first-served. I think that's a fair compromise between letting folks excited about the project keep that excitement going, and making sure everyone gets a chance. Everyone who specifically requested to reprise their role will get a PM to notify them, but everyone is welcome if they wish.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, cool! If Callie's in there, I'll do her again :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

LCaulkins wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:07 am Oh, cool! If Callie's in there, I'll do her again :)
She is! I'll have a link in here by this time tomorrow, and you can confirm your spot in-thread. :thumbs:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

LCaulkins wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:07 am Oh, cool! If Callie's in there, I'll do her again :)
The Tower Treasure is now live, you can find the project thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=96883