Placeholders

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
msfry

Post by msfry »

So, when you are looking through a particular reader's catalogued works, it starts you on Page 1, and let's say on Page 7 you click on a title, just to check it out, then you hit the back button to continue scrolling. Drat! It always starts you back on Page 1. You have to either remember what page you were on when you clicked away, or scroll from Page 1 again, and you can only click forward 5 pages at a time.

Is there some way we can get our system to remember where we just were? Other websites have placeholders. This gets to be quite time consuming when there are 10, 20 pages or more.

Just asking if there is an easy fix for this.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

What I've found works for me is to open the title in a new tab, then close it out (or leave it open and just switch back to the list) when you're ready to keep moving.

You may need to right-click on the title/link and select the new-tab option from the menu, or you may be able to "middle click" (point at it, then press the scroll-wheel, rather than scrolling it) depending on your browser.
On mobile browsers, you can usually long-press the title to get that menu.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, redrun, I'll keep that in mind. :thumbs:
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

Interesting. The search feature does a weird thing of ignoring the querystring.
Any access to the reader page (eg, https://librivox.org/reader/8463) clobbers the querystring.
For example:
https://librivox.org/reader/8463?primary_key=8463&search_category=reader&search_page=4&search_form=get_results

The query includes the parameter "search_page=4", so the expected behavior would be to display results starting on page 4. Instead the search script ignores the entire querystring and displays the first page of results.

Maybe this is something that can be forwarded to the person currently in charge of the website/code/tech_stuff? Or at least moving the thread to "Error Reports"? because I think this qualifies as such.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've added it to Github, but I'm sure it won't get changed for quite a while. (We have no active developers, only sporadic ones.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart