[Old thread] Dramatic Readings of The Hardy Boys

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

InTheDesert wrote: January 18th, 2023, 1:37 am Not sure if this is the right thread, but where did the birth and death dates in the catalog for a pseudonym come from?
They came from the first of several writers to publish for the Stratemeyer Syndicate under this pseudonym, Leslie McFarlane. I'm sure some admin will have a fun time sorting out what to do with the catalog entry when the works of John Button, Harriet Stratemeyer Adams, or Amy McFarlane under this name become public domain in the US.

If you're asking for the purpose of copyright outside the US, unless there's an edge case involving the fact that the real name of the writer wasn't commonly known until 49 years after the first was published, McFarlane's work isn't PD in death+50 countries until at least 2028.
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I'm just wondering if it should be catalogued under the real author's name and also have Franklin Dixon (without dates) as a second author? But I'm sure someone will sort it out eventually...
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

InTheDesert wrote: January 18th, 2023, 3:39 am I'm just wondering if it should be catalogued under the real author's name and also have Franklin Dixon (without dates) as a second author? But I'm sure someone will sort it out eventually...
That sounds like a reasonable way to handle it. I get the impression this kind of sharing of pseudonyms wasn't common and Stratemeyer was one of the first to do it, so it's possible we haven't bumped into the issue before. I agree, the pseudonym with a death date is not the final way to handle this one. I'll see if our MC would like to make a change, but we do have a few years before it becomes pressing. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

InTheDesert wrote: January 18th, 2023, 1:37 am Not sure if this is the right thread, but where did the birth and death dates in the catalog for a pseudonym come from?
They are the dates for the actual author who is now known to be Leslie McFarlane. The authorship of the Stratemeyer Syndicate books is known for some of books and not for others. For LibriVox purposes, it's the publication date that matters, but I left the the actual author's dates for the benefit of non-US listeners/readers.

For consistency between book covers and author listed in the catalog, we decided a few years ago to make the "author" on the book cover the author in our database and to put the "real" author's name when known in our database as a pseudonym (along with the Stratemeyer Syndicate).

ETA - I've modified the entries for Dixon and McFarlane so the dates are not associated directly with the pseudonym in the catalog.
Jo
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

For anyone watching this thread, I see that the Gutenberg text of book #1, The Tower Treasure is "In Post-Processing", and has a preview available. Seems it won't be live on the main Gutenberg site for a couple weeks yet (additional typo-catching period, I suppose), but I've started adaptation into a script in the meantime. :mrgreen:
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

redrun wrote: February 7th, 2023, 3:20 pm For anyone watching this thread, I see that the Gutenberg text of book #1, The Tower Treasure is "In Post-Processing", and has a preview available. Seems it won't be live on the main Gutenberg site for a couple weeks yet (additional typo-catching period, I suppose), but I've started adaptation into a script in the meantime. :mrgreen:
This is great news, redrun! Thank you for updating the group. I'm sure we are all excited about getting started on this project!
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

The house on the cliff by Franklin W. Dixon
https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/69988

These will be coming out of order since the first copy of The Tower Treasure I got wouldn't work.

Greg
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

The tower treasure by Franklin W. Dixon
https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/70083

Greg
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Excellent! Thank you very much, Greg, both for doing these (and many others!) in the first place, and for following up to make sure they're found! :clap: :clap: :clap:

To everyone following this thread, I expect to launch The Tower Treasure either this evening or tomorrow, with a period of 3 days for folks who have requested a role, to confirm they'd still like to fill it in this next DR. I'll send folks PMs at launch, if not before.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Book 1, The Tower Treasure, is now in the launchpad: viewtopic.php?t=96883
gweeks

Post by gweeks »

This is in PG now.

The secret of the old mill by Franklin W. Dixon
https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/70236

Greg
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Alright! Many thanks! I've updated the first post with a link. 8-)
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

How cool that we can already start in on #3! :)
Scott
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

SCaulkins wrote: October 1st, 2023, 6:20 am How cool that we can already start in on #3! :)
Please count me in for Fenton Hardy!

Thanks!

Greg
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

GregGiordano wrote: October 1st, 2023, 7:10 am Please count me in for Fenton Hardy!
Absolutely! The plan is to launch on Saturday, October 7 - and you'll have until sometime on Tuesday the 10th to post in-thread to confirm.
More details on the launch plan over in DR Suggestions thread: viewtopic.php?p=2246389#p2246389