Suggest a "Staff Pick" for archive.org

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The staff has picked for this month! Please have a look at this page for the current pickings. You can also check out our (soon to come) wiki page for a plain vanilla list that contains all the staff picks for this year plus the readers.

March 8 is International Women's Day, so our theme will be:
Women Power

I'd like to have books about or by women from all over the planet. A good focus would be mothers, entrenpreneurs, travellers, doctors; women's struggles for suffrage or better work conditions; or how women lived 95+ years ago... you get the idea. Fiction and Nonfiction, as always.

Especially welcome are suggestions of plays and poetry!
And, as always: All languages welcome!

Suggest away! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

I suggest [url-https://librivox.org/loom-and-spindle-by-harriet-h-robinson/]Loom and Spindle[/url], catalogued last November, with 46,678 Views on IA already. It fits all the mentioned categories.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Wow, those are great books - I knew there shouldn't be any problem finding non-fiction. :thumbs:

How about fiction, though?
LCaulkins wrote: February 8th, 2023, 3:42 pm And a fun fiction by a woman and starring a woman:
The Bat, by Mary Roberts Rinehart
Lynette, can you tell me a bit more about the plot for this one?
In this thread, I don't mind spoilers :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Availle wrote: February 8th, 2023, 6:01 pm Wow, those are great books - I knew there shouldn't be any problem finding non-fiction. :thumbs:

How about fiction, though?
LCaulkins wrote: February 8th, 2023, 3:42 pm And a fun fiction by a woman and starring a woman:
The Bat, by Mary Roberts Rinehart
Lynette, can you tell me a bit more about the plot for this one?
In this thread, I don't mind spoilers :wink:
Sure - An older woman rents a country home for a respite from a city beleaguered by murderous crime — only to find herself smack in the middle of a suspenseful mystery. Her cool-headedness aids her in solving the mystery and helping her niece.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Poetry? Not many women poets more powerfully prolific than Ella Wheeler Wilcox. How about her collection of Poems Of Power.
https://librivox.org/poems-of-power-by-ella-wheeler-wilcox/
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks Michele - sounds awfully familiar though, without actually checking, I think I already chose this?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

Availle wrote: February 9th, 2023, 5:00 pm Thanks Michele - sounds awfully familiar though, without actually checking, I think I already chose this?
It catalogued in April 2015. I searched "power" on all the wiki Staff Pick pages since then and didn't find it.

Here's another one, a solo of mine, a fictional story about how two poor women in Dublin maintain their dignity under dire circumstances, by making believe!
The Charwoman's Daughter, by James Stephens,
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

A great fictional book dealing with women's issues that I enjoyed very much is The Heavenly Twins: https://librivox.org/the-heavenly-twins-by-sarah-grand/

It explores the idea of education for women and girls (should it be the same as that of boys, or different?), as well as women's rights where marriage is concerned.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Here's another that was just catalogued. It's on my listening list, but I've got some PL to keep up with. :wink:
The Morality of Marriage and Other Essays on the Status and Destiny of Woman
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

These sound great, thank you!
Keep 'em coming! :clap:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you are after fiction https://librivox.org/two-on-the-trail-by-edith-elise-cowper/ . It's a change to see a girl escaping nasty men and taking her 12 year old brother on a winter escape through Alaskan wilds.

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I wonder if we could have a Ukrainian Authors Staff Pick?
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood