COMPLETE: The Brain by Edmond Hamilton -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

The Brain, by Edmond Hamilton (1904 - 1977)

Volunteers outside the USA: Edmond Hamilton died in 1977. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-brain-by-edmond-hamilton/

A gigantic mechanical brain, constructed in a secret location known only to a few, is America's new weapon against the looming threat of war. The immense powers of The Brain are soon applied to the easily automated tasks of everyday modern living, in addition to its primary purpose of managing the military functions important for preserving National Security. But what happens when The Brain ... wakes up? (Summary by quartertone)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32498/

Target completion date: 2023-10-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: science fiction, technology, artificial intelligence

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Brain. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Brain, by Edmond Hamilton. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Brain, by Edmond Hamilton. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Brain, by Edmond Hamilton."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: brain_##_hamilton_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. brain_01_hamilton_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi quartertone. I will MC this for you. MW will be available shortly.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler. 

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: February 5th, 2023, 10:29 am Hi quartertone. I will MC this for you. MW will be available shortly.
Thank you!
First solo project feels daunting, but I'm excited!
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I can PL if you'd like.

M
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

mleigh wrote: February 5th, 2023, 7:12 pm I can PL if you'd like.

M
Sounds great, thank you!
Currently I am mapping out the character voices and deciding what they should sound like, so I'm hoping to start actual recording this weekend.
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

Well heh, I got an early start. I just can't help myself.

Chapter 1 is uploaded and ready for your PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/brain_01_hamilton_128kb.mp3
20:03

I updated the MW. Did I do it right?
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

quartertone wrote: February 6th, 2023, 7:29 pm Well heh, I got an early start. I just can't help myself.

Edit/update: mleigh, if you haven't listened to this yet, please ignore it. I didn't quite like the way the characters turned out, so I'm going to redo it all. I marked it as "See PL notes" in the MW so it comes off your list for now..

Thanks!
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

quartertone wrote: February 7th, 2023, 2:01 pm
quartertone wrote: February 6th, 2023, 7:29 pm Well heh, I got an early start. I just can't help myself.

Edit/update: mleigh, if you haven't listened to this yet, please ignore it. I didn't quite like the way the characters turned out, so I'm going to redo it all. I marked it as "See PL notes" in the MW so it comes off your list for now..

Thanks!
Thank you for letting me know. I was getting ready to start listening to some recordings and this was on the list.

M
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

Ok... I've recorded this chapter I think 5 times, and I finally got it to where I want it.
Or perhaps If i record this chapter one more time I might just quit this book already so I'm going for "good enough" at this point. :lol:

20:40

Chapter 1 is ready for PL.

(Since I'm updating the MW myself, do I still need to include the file link and duration in my post?)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Not really. Just a note to let your DPL know there's a new chapter ready for PL is sufficient. :)

The word counts aren't necessary for a solo either.
Jo
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

quartertone wrote: February 10th, 2023, 6:39 pm Ok... I've recorded this chapter I think 5 times, and I finally got it to where I want it.
Or perhaps If i record this chapter one more time I might just quit this book already so I'm going for "good enough" at this point. :lol:

20:40

Chapter 1 is ready for PL.

(Since I'm updating the MW myself, do I still need to include the file link and duration in my post?)
You are off to an excellent start. Chapter 1 is PL OK. And, it is more than "good enough".

M
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

Chapter 2 uploaded, and ready for PL.
I felt like my Dr Scriven character voice was drifting a bit, but after comparing the earlier dialogue with the later bits, it's not too different. Whew! *marked safe from re-recording
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

quartertone wrote: February 13th, 2023, 7:06 pm Chapter 2 uploaded, and ready for PL.
I felt like my Dr Scriven character voice was drifting a bit, but after comparing the earlier dialogue with the later bits, it's not too different. Whew! *marked safe from re-recording
Great job with this. Chapter 2 is PL OK.

M
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

Just an update: I finally finished recording and compiling Chapter 3.
I'm going to give it a few more listen-throughs and make (hopefully) minor edits before uploading probably in the next few days.