You got to start somewhere!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
berlingunning

Post by berlingunning »

Hi! I haven't started recording yet, but I'm getting ready to, and I hope to make a career of it someday.
Question one. Are there professional audiobook narrators who started their career volunteering for LibriVox?
Question 2.How did they land paid gigs if there are any who started out that way?

Question 3. Are there audiobook narrators who both volunteer for LibriVox and are gainfully employed as an audiobook narrators for other companies at the same time? If there aren't, I plan to!
berlingunning

Post by berlingunning »

Has there ever been a LibriVox volunteer who went on to a professional recording career? How did they go about it?
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

A number have. I myself have done 125 professional audiobooks.

The most direct route is through ACX, Audible's production portal. Explore it at acx.com.

Before trying to get into professional work, be sure you are prepared first. There's a lot of good information here: https://www.narratorsroadmap.com

Get coaching, be able to produce professional-quality audio, and gain experience first. The biggest mistake people make is jumping in before they're ready.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
berlingunning

Post by berlingunning »

I'm not going to rush into anything. Don't worry. I just want to have a plan, and know what steps to take. Part of jumping into things before you're ready involves not having a plan first. I just wanted to make sure that audible was the best way to go for a professional work
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

kittycat19 wrote: February 7th, 2023, 7:38 am Hi! I haven't started recording yet, but I'm getting ready to, and I hope to make a career of it someday.
Question one. Are there professional audiobook narrators who started their career volunteering for LibriVox?
Question 2.How did they land paid gigs if there are any who started out that way?

Question 3. Are there audiobook narrators who both volunteer for LibriVox and are gainfully employed as an audiobook narrators for other companies at the same time? If there aren't, I plan to!
Here's a good interview with the always excellent Mark Nelson who records both for Librivox as well as audible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13EXnCxjpGg&t=1080s

It's got a lot of useful info in it if you're looking to go professional.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Merged two very similar topics into one, so the conversation can all stay in one place. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes - you have to start somewhere - but at the moment you have only recorded the 1-minute test, and if you start reading another set of requirements which are not the same as LV's it is very easy to get confused (as several of our experienced readers have found). So concentrate on getting your claims read :D

Anne
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

sjmarky wrote: February 7th, 2023, 10:33 am Before trying to get into professional work, be sure you are prepared first. There's a lot of good information here: https://www.narratorsroadmap.com
Awesome! Thanks for sharing this. I think this is useful even for those of us who are not interested/considering professional VO.
I found a couple of the links on that site by doing my own scouring of the web, but it's great to have a curated list all in one place.
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

If you are planning to pursue paid work, I highly highly recommend finding a coach. I'm hoping to head that direction, and have been getting coaching for about a year and a half. IMO I've progressed farther in that time with a coach than I would have in 3 or 4 years without one.

What I did was watched videos of several coaches, and chose someone I thought I would click with. Good coaching isn't free, but it greatly increases your chances of success.
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)