COMPLETE[PLAY]The Merry Devil of Edmonton by Shakespeare - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote: January 20th, 2023, 8:26 pmHere comes - and goes - the chamberlaine:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/merrydevilofedmonton_chamberlaine_5.mp3
:thumbs: absolutely PL ok and thanks for the fast turn-around. Great to see some activity again in this project. I liked the gruff tone you gave this chamberlaine, he probably looks like a no-nonsense bouncer in front of a nightclub :mrgreen:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both.

Todd
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

May I be Sir Richard? Jim
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Here is Richard Mounchensey, Act 1. I think he only makes these two speeches.The others designated Mounchensey are spoken by his son Raymond.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/merrydevilofedmonton_richard_1.mp3

0:30

Jim
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Breaddington

Post by Breaddington »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Those will get PL'd soon.

I do NOT care if people pronounce other character's names (or place names) differently from each other - I treat that as people just having an accent, or using pet name pronunciations, or something like that. But I would like to have people use the same consistent pronunciation of names throughout each of their files.

What I care most about in a reader file for a play is that there are no lines missed since that would mess up the lines of other people as well. If words are wrong or order slightly changed, I only care if it significantly changes the meaning such that a listener will be confused.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 2:00 pmHere is Richard Mounchensey, Act 1. I think he only makes these two speeches.The others designated Mounchensey are spoken by his son Raymond.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/merrydevilofedmonton_richard_1.mp3
yes I agree for this act, the latter Mountchesney speeches all belong to the son who carouses with his friends. Well spotted, and all PL ok for this act. Thank you so much for jumping in here, Jim. You are a stern father, not to be trifled with.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Breaddington wrote: January 21st, 2023, 6:18 pmHere's Henry (Harry) Clare! I didn't know how to pronounce Franke's name in Act three, so I did a take of "FRANK" and "FRANK-EE" just to make sure I covered my bases.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/merrydevilofedmonton_henryclare_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/merrydevilofedmonton_henryclare_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/merrydevilofedmonton_henryclare_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/merrydevilofedmonton_henryclare_5.mp3
hello Breadd, and welcome to the dramatic fun, which you might find highly addictive like so many of us :mrgreen:

Lovely to hear a new voice in our group. And you acted your lines very well, Harry has the needed spunk and mischief in his voice for this character. :thumbs: I liked it. Wonderful debut and hopefully not your last appearance.

If I could just suggest one small improvement for your recording...sometimes I can hear a very strident 's', I suspect it's because you have the microphone too close to your mouth. Try, if possible, putting it to the side of you, that way you don't blow straight into it (also good against plosives) but you speak alongside it, which gives a better sound often.

I can mark Acts 2 and 5 straight PL ok. (congrats for your first official sections)

A few speeches were missed in the other two acts. Yes, this script is a nightmare and very demanding on the reader to figure out which lines belong to which character, because sometimes Harry is called Harry, or Henry, or Young Clare or simply Clare. It depends on the scene and often a give-away is who he is talking to, Fabell and Raymond are the guys he is doing mischief with, so often these speeches belong to young Clare.

I think I found all of those that need to be added:

for Act 1:

> at about 0:27: please insert three missed speeches, because in this final scene it says "[Enter Raymond and young Jerningham and young Clare.]" so "Clare" this time is supposed to be Harry, not his father:

1. Come, boy, and make me this same groning love,
Troubled with stitches and the cough a'th lungs,
That wept his eyes out when he was a child,
And ever since hath shot at hudman-blind,
Make him leap, caper, jerk, and laugh, and sing,
And play me horse-tricks;
Make Cupid wanton as his mother's dove:
But in this sort, boy, I would have thee love.

2. What, thou married? let me look upon thee, Rogue; who has given out this of thee? how camst thou into this ill name? What company hast thou been in, Rascall?

3. Raymond Mounchensey, I would have thee know,
He does not breath this air,
Whose love I cherish, and whose soul I love
More than Mounchensey's:
Nor ever in my life did see the man
Whom, for his wit and many vertuous parts,
I think more worthy of my sister's love.
But since the matter grows unto this pass,
I must not seem to cross my Father's will;
But when thou list to visit her by night,
My horses sadled, and the stable door
Stands ready for thee; use them at thy pleasure.
In honest marriage wed her frankly, boy,
And if thou getst her, lad, God give thee joy!

for Act 3:

> at about 0:28: also here four missed lines in the final scene. Whenever Fabell and Jerningham show up, usually it's young Clare who is in their company, also these sentences would ill fit for the father, the son is more flippant and irreverent in his speeches

1. Come, come, how does she, noble Capouchin?

2. Z'blood, she'll have nere a Nun unbagd to sing mass then.

3. But whither, Raymond?

4. We will not fail the hour.
My life and fortune now lies in your power.

Also while I was browsing to find the correct speeches, I noticed that young Clare also appears in Act 4, so I added this section in the Magic Window for you. In this scene, starting with: [Enter Clare, Jerningham, and Milliscent.] and ending with "Peace that's my father's voice (which clearly shows it's the son speaking) This is the scene where the young men are trying to get the sister out from the nunnery and get her married.

So I think we need these 13 speeches, but check the scene again in case I missed one:

1. Franke Jerningham!

2. S'foot, we shall lose our way, it's so dark; whereabouts are we?

3. Ten, the bell says.

4. Nay, as sure as thou liv'st, the villanous vicar is abroad in the chase this dark night: the stone Priest steals more venison then half the country.

5. We shall anon; z'ounds, hark! What means this noise?

6. I hear footmen too.

7. Sister, speak softly, or we are descried.
They are hard upon us, what so ere they be,
Shadow your self behind this brake of fern,
We'll get into the wood, and let them pass.

8. Be not afraid, man, I heard Brian's tongue,
That's certain.

9. Milliscent!

10. I told you it was Brian.

11. Brian, how hapd'st thou on her?

12. They were these stealers that affrighted us;
I was hard upon them, when they horst their Deer,
And I perceive they took me for a keeper.

13. Peace, that's my father's voice.

Thanks and don't worry, usually the scripts are more comprehensive and easy than this one. You really jumped in deep into a difficult project for your first. From now on it can only get easier :lol:

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 11:12 amHere is Act 2 for Richard:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/merrydevilofedmonton_richard_2.mp3
the sentence: "Thou shalt well know it." gave me a shudder....the threat was barely suppressed in your voice here. :thumbs:

And the entire Sir Richard is PL ok. Thank you so much, Jim.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks. Jim :)
GaleHall

Post by GaleHall »