[COMPLETE][Poetry]Poems by Fitz-Greene Halleck - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Poetical Works of Fitz-Greene Halleck (1790 - 1867)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/poetical-works-by-fitz-greene-halleck/
Fitz-Greene Halleck was born in the old Connecticut coastal town of Guildford. At age 21 he moved to New York where he worked for nearly 4 decades in the financial world. In 1819 his long satirical poem Fanny was published. In 1820 the death of his close friend Joseph Rodman Drake led to him writing perhaps his best known poem as a tribute. A visit to Europe at age 32 broadened his cultural horizons and led to the writing of poems like Marco Bozzaris, Burns and Alnwick Castle. In 1849, with a small annuity from John Jacob Astor, he retired to his home town to live with his sister. Long years of quiet studious retirement produced the poem Connecticut showing his affection for his home state. He died at Guildford in1867. After his death a statue of him was erected in Central Park in New York.

Halleck is widely regarded as one of the earliest major American poets and his best poems have regularly appeared in anthologies of American Poetry.

(Summary by Alan Mapstone)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/poeticalworksoffi00inhall/page/n9/mode/2up?view=theater

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 1 month of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special - Standard PL, plus checking all tech specs including file names, volume, background noise, and plosives for new readers. For everyone, follow along with text and check to make sure any deviations from text don't affect rhyme, meter, or meaning.

Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Title of poem from The Poetical Works of Fitz-Greene Halleck. Read for LibriVox.org by your name."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of poem. This recording is in the public domain"
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Poetical Works of Fitz-Greene Halleck."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: poeticalworks_##_halleck_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. poeticalworks_01_halleck_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by alanmapstone on March 25th, 2023, 2:47 am, edited 8 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

A short collection of poems by Fitz-Greene Halleck. I am surprised that Halleck is so underrepresented in the LV catalogue as he was an American poet of some repute (a statue of him was erected in Central Park in New York).

I would like to find a DPL for this project as I intend to read several poems myself.

Pages 9,10&11 are missing from the source text but can be retrieved from other archive scans.

The poem Fanny will be about 90 minutes long and I will break it into several sections.

I will, of course, need to good offices of an MC :help:
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: February 4th, 2023, 12:12 amPages 9,10&11 are missing from the source text but can be retrieved from other archive scans.
I can MC this Alan. How about we take this link: https://archive.org/details/poeticalworksoffi00inhall/page/n9/mode/2up?view=theater it's a cleaner copy and most of all, the pages seem to be complete. A few fragments added at the end, do you mind including them in the project ?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right MW is ready to be filled out. I changed the intro to our shortened poetry intro, I think it's common practice we do that with poetry anthologies. Maybe for the long poem broken up into sections, you could write up a title like "stanzas x-y" or some such in the MW. That way there will be no confusion who has to read up to where.

I changed the link to the complete book, I hope you are ok with that edition as well.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Kitty wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:48 am I can MC this Alan. How about we take this link: https://archive.org/details/poeticalworksoffi00inhall/page/n9/mode/2up?view=theater it's a cleaner copy and most of all, the pages seem to be complete. A few fragments added at the end, do you mind including them in the project ?
Thanks Sonia
The alternative text looks good so I will amend the first post. I am happy to include the extract at the end so I will need 40 sections rather than 39.
I will fill the MW tomorrow as Saturday night is my Opera listening night :wink:
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: February 4th, 2023, 10:39 amThe alternative text looks good so I will amend the first post. I am happy to include the extract at the end so I will need 40 sections rather than 39.
I will fill the MW tomorrow as Saturday night is my Opera listening night :wink:
enjoy your opera night out !!! what is playing ?

And yes, you can simply add as many sections as you need at the end. Thanks

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Magic Window is filled and we are ready for Readers :wink:
Alan
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

May I have 7 and 14?
~ Larry
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

silverquill wrote: February 4th, 2023, 11:16 pm May I have 7 and 14?
Thanks Larry, sections assigned.
I guessed you would want to read the psalm :lol:
Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Could I have section 36?

Thanks,

M
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

mleigh wrote: February 5th, 2023, 3:42 pm Could I have section 36?
Thanks,
M
Thanks, section 36 assigned
Alan
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I'll move us to Readers wanted now...

Sonia
mleigh

Post by mleigh »