Complete [Autobiography/Psychic Investigation] Seen and Unseen, by E. Katharine Bates-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hello again Brian!

When (or if) Section 10 passes the PL, may I claim that last open chapter, Section 4: CHAPTER III - AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND? It’s a bit of a slogger (long) but I enjoyed the last chapter so why not dive in? :D (Unless it’s reserved for someone else of course!)

Thanks,

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

valroth wrote: February 1st, 2023, 11:01 am Hello again Brian!

When (or if) Section 10 passes the PL, may I claim that last open chapter, Section 4: CHAPTER III - AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND? It’s a bit of a slogger (long) but I enjoyed the last chapter so why not dive in? :D (Unless it’s reserved for someone else of course!)

Thanks,

Val
Let's do this! :idea: I'll assign 4 to you now. :twisted: If you change your mind down the road let me know. :!: Fair enough? :?:
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Hi Amy,

I think I just bullied - or gently nudged, depending on one's perspective - valroth into taking section 4 just so we could get to 100% booked and I could ask you to please move us on to Readers Found. :shock:

Are we still friends (you, me and valroth I mean)?

Thanks,
Brian
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - needed for Gold-Killer
valroth

Post by valroth »

Ha! No Brian, there was no bullying! :D I read it as encouragement (or as foolish confidence in my ability to finish the project!) However, if our PL gives me a long, terrifying list of “re-dos,” (I most certainly mis-pronounced some of the unexpected French sections!) I may be a bit delayed. But let’s wait and see… hoping it’s okay! It was fun reading!

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

bffs

Over to Readers Found... :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

valroth wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:00 pm Ha! No Brian, there was no bullying! :D I read it as encouragement (or as foolish confidence in my ability to finish the project!) However, if our PL gives me a long, terrifying list of “re-dos,” (I most certainly mis-pronounced some of the unexpected French sections!) I may be a bit delayed. But let’s wait and see… hoping it’s okay! It was fun reading!

Val
Bonne chance!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

valroth wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:00 pm Ha! No Brian, there was no bullying! :D I read it as encouragement (or as foolish confidence in my ability to finish the project!) However, if our PL gives me a long, terrifying list of “re-dos,” (I most certainly mis-pronounced some of the unexpected French sections!) I may be a bit delayed. But let’s wait and see… hoping it’s okay! It was fun reading!

Val
Hi Val -
You are a really engaging reader! Brava to you for reading in two :clap: languages! That can certainly be a mouthful. Here are a few comments regarding some changes that are needed for the French. You did a great job on a lot of them, but these could use some attention:

5:14
--If possible - the first Melchisedech is missing a syllable. I hear "Melkidek"

6:05
--If possible – “enseignez”
Please Pronounce as: "on-sen-yay"

6:32
--"J'ai été mariée vingt ans et j'ai six enfants" is incomprehensible.
Please pronounce as: "Jay AY-tay mah-ree-AY van-TON ay jay see zon-FON." ("j" as the French "je")

9:58
--If possible - déjeuner à la fourchette –
Please pronounce as: "day je nay ah ..." ("la fourchette" is fine)

25:03
--"a quelle heure vous êtes revenue hier au soir"
Please ronounce as: “ah kel Ur voo zet ray-ve-NOO ee-ER oh swAR”
(U being like the German ö or almost an English short e).

25:32
--is probably okay. (If possible – “qu'est-ce-que je vous ai dit?”
Please pronounce as: "kes se ke je voo zay DEE?"

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

BetsyWalker wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 4:40 pm
You are a really engaging reader! Brava to you for reading in two :clap: languages!
Val,

Of course I agree with Betsy's assessment that you did a really fine job on the French! :clap: Your English is quite good too, if I may say so! :) I had to listen for myself and now I really must apologize to both you and Betsy, but I'm going to ask for 3 additional edits that have to do with the abbreviation 'M.'. It is similar to 'Mr.' in English. The oversight is really mine. I should have read (or searched) the text better. In other projects (e.g. Wonder Stories of Travel) I was thorough enough to do that and to put something about it in the Notes fields of the relevant sections. I'm sorry I didn't do a better job for this project.

Additional PL Notes
:

(5:57) M. l'Abbé -> [should read as] Monsieur l'Abbé
(7:41) M. Petit -> [should read as] Monsieur Petit
(7:55) M. l'Abbé -> [should read as] Monsieur l'Abbé

Please accept my apology for asking that you "fix" something that I really should have noted in advance.

Best wishes,
Brian
valroth

Post by valroth »

Ah! My work is cut out for me! lol Thank you so much Betsy and Brian for going over this long chapter and helping me to rescue the French sections! I’ll make those edits and wow you with my corrections… well, hopefully! :oops:

I relied on “Google” and a number of irritating Youtube hacks to assist me with pronunciations on this chapter. I tried to be a good parrot, then … what? there were so many opinions on how to pronounce each word I just winced, prayed and pressed “record!”

By the way Betsy, the "J'ai été mariée vingt ans et j'ai six enfants” was read half in jest —the speaker (supposedly English but speaking in French) is said to have had poor French, so darn it, I thought I was safe in butchering the line! (I actually intended it to be funny) but yes…. I agree, humbly so, am walking backward declaring to you... it is indeed "indiscernible!” :D

Brian: Not sure we’re friends after all. But because I’m Canadian --the human version of a Labrador Retriever-- instead of saying, “well, what the...!?” I’ll respond with a smiley, “Thank you, my new best friend, for the corrections!” (I really should have asked what “M” meant. Ugh, a newbie oversight).

But in all seriousness, I really do appreciate you both suffering through my attempts at sounding erudite, intellectual and intelligent…

Ahem. I really hope you’re both laughing!

Okay, back to the drawing board! I’ll pause Chapter 4 for now (which mercifully is “sans French") and try to show you two long suffering souls that your efforts to help me have paid off!

Have a cheery day, Val
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

valroth wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 9:30 am I’m Canadian ...
Québécoise? No wonder your English is flawless! :D I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. Anyone who hears me talk, and is not from there, thinks that I'm not an American. 8-)
valroth

Post by valroth »

Hahaha! Good one! No, not Québécoise, I’m practically your neighbour, southern Ontario born and raised. (Sadly not bilingual…Good lord, did I even have to even say that?)

So.. Pittsburgh eh? Now you’ll have to let me listen to your work because like everywhere in the world, each area creates its own unique dialect. What name do you use to record?
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

valroth wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 11:34 am Hahaha! Good one! No, not Québécoise, I’m practically your neighbour, southern Ontario born and raised. (Sadly not bilingual…Good lord, did I even have to even say that?)

So.. Pittsburgh eh? Now you’ll have to let me listen to your work because like everywhere in the world, each area creates its own unique dialect. What name do you use to record?
I am very imaginative as suggested by my Catalog Display Name, 'Brian Fullen'. Starting about 27 seconds into this is exactly the way I normally sound: https://ia801405.us.archive.org/10/items/parodyoutlineofhistory_2211_librivox/parodyoutlineofhistory_05_stewart_64kb.mp3 :wink:
valroth

Post by valroth »

Brian! That sounded great, (loved the dry humour and gatling-gun pacing!), you must have had a blast performing it! I’d never heard of this author but chuckled through the entire chapter. Thanks for sharing … now I’ve got to step up my game! :D
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

valroth wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:52 pm Brian! That sounded great, (loved the dry humour and gatling-gun pacing!), you must have had a blast performing it! I’d never heard of this author but chuckled through the entire chapter. Thanks for sharing … now I’ve got to step up my game! :D
It was indeed great fun. You are way too kind but thanks. I enjoyed the book immensely. It was an interesting mix of irony, satire, farce, etc. Each chapter is a spoof of some then (circa 1920) contemporary author (F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ring Lardner, Eugene O'Neill, etc.) as if they they might themself have written an account of some event in US History. The whole idea of the book was weirdly entertaining. Thank you for listening and saying something nice.