LibriVox and Wikipedia Links (Working Thread)

Non-reading activities need your help too!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've gotten behind on these. Audiobooks are caught up to 18378 Queen Mab (cataloged 2022-10-19 and currently on page 3 of Recently Cataloged).
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: November 6th, 2022, 6:17 pm I've gotten behind on these. Audiobooks are caught up to 18378 Queen Mab (cataloged 2022-10-19 and currently on page 3 of Recently Cataloged).
Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Books done through 18404 The Corsair, cataloged October 28 and currently on page 2 of recent releases.
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: November 8th, 2022, 1:31 pm Books done through 18404 The Corsair, cataloged October 28 and currently on page 2 of recent releases.
Thank you. Can I see Recent Releases?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote: November 8th, 2022, 2:01 pm Thank you. Can I see Recent Releases?
Yes. That's what I call when you go to the home page, then click on either the "more audiobooks" link or click the "Title" icon. It's ordered by release date, so it's effectively a list of recent releases going back all the way to the beginning. ;)

I work my way up the list, so from oldest to newest.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Done through 17762 U.S. Marine Operations in Korea, 1950-1953, Volume 2: The Inchon-Seoul Operation, cataloged Nov 17, on first page of new releases list.
Last edited by TriciaG on November 18th, 2022, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay, thanks.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I have added the most recent books and authors to the spreadsheets.

Books up through 17464 Sammlung deutscher Gedichte 039 - all back links added
Authors up through ... err, Somebody-or-Other de Polo - I didn't go through and figure out which projects have been cataloged since last time.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Books through 18499 Woodland Paths added and any back links added.

Authors are added through 17321 Charlotte Kellogg, and the ones marked as in-progress have been checked through 17267 George Villiers.

If someone wants a tedious job:
- Go into the Author sheet
- Click on the funnel icon and select "en.wikipedia.org, blank column I" (this is supposed to only pull up the records with English Wikipedia links and with no yes/no in column I)
- Look through the ones that say "no LV works in catalog" and "only 1 work in a collection."
---IF there's now more than one work completed (more than one short work in one or more collections, etc.), add the author to Wikipedia and clear out that note.
---IF they now have a work, if it's only one in a collection, change the note from "no LV works in catalog" to "only 1 work in a collection."

You probably won't get many records to change, but you never know.

Often authors are added but don't show up with works in the catalog, because a collection won't fill in the metadata until close to cataloging time. Some, we just plain have authors with no works in our catalog. :P And ones that only have one poem or one short nonfiction article, it's not worth linking Wikipedia just yet, IMHO.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Hmmm, I didn't get notice of the last two posts, so I have unsubscribed and resubscribed myself.

Thank you so much, Tricia, for doing all this work of catching us up to this point, and starting out the new year with all our projects "linked" wherever Wikipedia has a book or author page. It once seemed like a steep mountain to climb, but now is just a gently rolling hill. That "tedious job" does indeed seem tedious, but I will check into it sooner or later.
---------------------------------
For those who don't know about our Wikipedia Links, you find them in External Links at the bottom of any Wikipedia page we've linked to on our Catalog Pages.
Example: The Charwoman's Shadow
The lower left column has a link to both the author and book Wikipedia page. Each of these pages has a link back to Librivox (in External Links), one to our complete list of audiobooks by that Author, another to the book page. Check it out and see for yourself. This enhances Wikipedia's usefulness, and helps people find our audiobooks.

If you notice an LV Catalogued project dated before 2023 that shows a link to Wikipedia, but that Wikipedia page does not link back to Librivox, please post it here to let us know. We are endeavoring to be as thorough as possible.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

I decided to practice on an Author of a book I recently finished!

Volunteer: MrsHand
Book name:
Author name: Herbert Ward
Wikipedia page linked from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Dickinson_Ward
Librivox page linked to: https://librivox.org/author/17310
Linked on: 1/29/23
Notes:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Kristin. It looks A-OK! :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I have added up through 17396 Edmund von Mach to the author spreadsheet but haven't done anything with them. Most of them won't have completed projects yet.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

VERY WEIRD.

I was happily updating the book links, when suddenly my IP address has been blocked from editing as a "serial disruptor" until July.

There's a FAQ on what to do to appeal, which I'll look at. In the meantime, I got up through 18348 O Mandarim

Thing is, the block was initiated back in January! So how was I able to work on pages today? :hmm: Anyway, I'll see what's going on. In the meantime, others will have to take over.

EDIT: OK, it appears I share an IP address with the world, so the IP address has been blocked, yes - but when I log in, I myself am not blocked. Somehow I had been logged out of Wikipedia as I was working, so the blocked message came up. Bottom line: all is okay. 8-) Whew!
msfry

Post by msfry »

"Serial disruptor", eh? Who thinks up these names? All I know is Wikipedia sign-ins are good for a year, then you have to renew. And a year seems to go by like a few weeks in my world. Yours too, I bet. I hope that is all there was to it.

Glad you're back in, 'cause you are doing a tedious but important job SPLENDIDLY! The whole reading public (and Librivox) benefits by being able to find our free audiobooks.