Complete (SOLO) A Pickle For the Knowing Ones by Timothy Dexter-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MelissaMarie

Post by MelissaMarie »

A Pickle For the Knowing Ones, by Timothy Dexter (1747 - 1806)
Timothy Dexter, a business man in the late 1700's, writes about his thoughts and his life. He is an unconventional man who follows his own path regardless of common conventions. These traits led him to write and self-publish a book without any punctuation, allowing the reader to determine the 'stops' for themself. (Summary by Melissa Mikol)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-pickle-for-the-knowing-ones-by-timothy-dexter/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43453

Target completion date: 2023-03-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography

Keywords that describe the book: history, memoir, autobiography, no punctuation

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Pickle For the Knowing Ones. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Pickle For the Knowing Ones, by Timothy Dexter. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Pickle For the Knowing Ones, by Timothy Dexter. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Pickle For the Knowing Ones, by Timothy Dexter."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: picklefortheknowingones_##_dexter_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. picklefortheknowingones_01_dexter_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
MelissaMarie

Post by MelissaMarie »

To the Future MC,

I'd like to make a correction. There is a short Preface by another writer. That would be Section 0?
The text by Dexter is about 8400 words long in total. I'm planning to find a good middle point and break it into 2 sections.
The last section is the Appendix from a few different sources which will be 1 Section by itself. The entire book is a little over 12,000 words.

I also wanted to ask about the last page of the text which includes a page of just punctuation, 1,478 characters of it. Normally punctuation isn't read. Should I verbally notate that it's there?

thanks,
Melissa
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Melissa,
I'll MC this for you. I don't think you need to mention the last page of punctuation. I wonder if it is showing the amount of each that would have been in the text.
The Magic Window is up. I'll send you info on being a Soloist and working with the magic window.
This sounds like a challenging project. If you need anything, let me know.
Thanks,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
MelissaMarie

Post by MelissaMarie »

Thanks, Amy! I appreciate it.

Here is a snapshot of a short piece of the punctuation page and the notation explaining why it was added in the second edition of the book:

"??????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????!???????????????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Transcriber's Note: The block of punctuation (on a page by itself) is inexplicably left unexplained in this edition. Dexter wrote before it in the second edition:

"fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese"
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

He was a character!
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
MelissaMarie

Post by MelissaMarie »

alg1001 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 3:04 pm He was a character!
He sure was! It's going to be an interesting read. :)
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Do you need a DPL? I'd love to do it!
Christine
MelissaMarie

Post by MelissaMarie »

brownrottger wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 6:48 pm Do you need a DPL? I'd love to do it!
Christine
I would love that! Thanks, Christine!
Do I need to do something to add you to the project? It's my first solo.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I'll add Christine in as DPL and move you to Going Solo.
Have a wonderful evening, Ladies!
-Amy
MelissaMarie

Post by MelissaMarie »

alg1001 wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 7:40 pm I'll add Christine in as DPL and move you to Going Solo.
Have a wonderful evening, Ladies!
-Amy
Thanks!
MelissaMarie

Post by MelissaMarie »

Here is Section 00. I'll post here then in the MW also.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/picklefortheknowingones_00_dexter_128kb.mp3
13:31
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

MelissaMarie wrote: February 1st, 2023, 8:42 pm Here is Section 00. I'll post here then in the MW also.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/picklefortheknowingones_00_dexter_128kb.mp3
13:31
Hi, This is in line for PL.
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Section 00:
1:16 should be "no less noted, Jonathan Plumer, junior" (jun. stands for junior, I love the accent you put on jun., though. :P )
4:36 should be "this was none other than his former apprentice, Jonathan Plumer, junior"
13:22 optional edit: should be "We ne'er shall look upon his like again."; I heard "We ne'er should look upon his like again."
This is the best and most entertaining Preface I have ever read and your voice does it justice!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Melissa, I live like 40 mins away from Newburyport so I will have to go view his house soon!
MelissaMarie

Post by MelissaMarie »

brownrottger wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 8:10 am Section 00:
1:16 should be "no less noted, Jonathan Plumer, junior" (jun. stands for junior, I love the accent you put on jun., though. :P )
4:36 should be "this was none other than his former apprentice, Jonathan Plumer, junior"
13:22 optional edit: should be "We ne'er shall look upon his like again."; I heard "We ne'er should look upon his like again."
This is the best and most entertaining Preface I have ever read and your voice does it justice!
Thanks! It was fun to read. I appreciate the correction on jun. Google wasn't much help.
I'm working on the editing. :)