[COMPLETE] Rasputin and the Russian Revolution by Catherine Radziwill - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
tac107

Post by tac107 »

Rasputin and the Russian Revolution, by Catherine Radziwill (1858 - 1941)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/rasputin-and-the-russian-revolution-catherine-radziwill/
Princess Catherine Radziwill exposes Rasputin as a charlatan and pawn of Germany in this two-part analysis. Part one discusses the social and religious climate in Russia before WWI and analyzes the particular cultural situation that allowed Rasputin to gain influence. She debunks claims of Rasputin's extraordinary influence in the Russian government, characterizing him instead as a hedonistic, illiterate peasant who was manipulated into furthering Germany's cause during the war. Firsthand accounts from Radziwill herself and others give an unprecedented look into Rasputin's life up to his assassination.

Part two discusses the monarchy and reasons for its collapse. Refuting the common belief that Rasputin brought down the monarchy, Radziwill primarily lays the blame on Alexandra Feodorovna, whom she characterizes as ignorant, spoiled, and self-centered. Radziwill traces a fascinating path from Nicholas II's coronation to the eventual disaster that befell his dynasty, with a full discussion of the political implications, at home and abroad. Lastly, the conclusion was written a year after the initial publication of the book and discusses the early stages of the Bolshevik Revolution. (Summary by Tatiana Chichilla)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/66358

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Modern (20th C); *Non-fiction/Political Science; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: World War 1, Russia, russian revolution, tsar, russian empire, romanovs, rasputin

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Rasputin and the Russian Revolution. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Rasputin and the Russian Revolution, by Catherine Radziwill. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Rasputin and the Russian Revolution, by Catherine Radziwill. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Rasputin and the Russian Revolution, by Catherine Radziwill."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: rasputinrevolution_##_radziwill_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. rasputinrevolution_01_radziwill_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by tac107 on August 9th, 2023, 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
If she's passin' back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Tatiana
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Feel free to start recording. That often helps us get a DPL offer.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving topic to Going Solo forum to keep the Lainch Pad tidy.
tac107

Post by tac107 »

craigdav1 wrote: February 6th, 2023, 7:43 pm Moving topic to Going Solo forum to keep the Lainch Pad tidy.
Sorry, Craig, right after I posted this I got incredibly sick and my voice was wrecked. Going to start later tonight.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear of your illness. Don't rush though, keep it fun.
tac107

Post by tac107 »

I did post the intro and I am kind of thinking maybe we need a section 0 on this one so that the chapter numbers and section numbers aren't different. I also might buy a new microphone and rerecord this entirely.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The introduction is now section 0. You will need to reupload this file with the filename changed to have a "00" in it. When you upload the chapter 1 file you will overwrite the section 1 you just uploaded.
tac107

Post by tac107 »

My new microphone sounds really, really different, so in the interest of uniformity I overwrote the intro and posted chapter 1.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
tac107

Post by tac107 »

As a note here for myself I realized that, as the book is divided into "parts" the intros of section 1 and 2 will have to be edited slightly to account for this.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

There are many ways to do the intro/outros. For example,
[intro] Section # of Rasputin and the Russian Revolution, by Catherine Radziwill. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Part # and title, Chapter #"
[outro] End oF Section #.
or,
Just use the Part # and Chapter # in the intro and outro and never refer to the section number. The Part number and title in either case could be used only at the beginning and end of the Part (the intro of Introduction and the outro of Chapter 9 for Part 1).

Being consistent is the most important thing.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

The filenames have an extra underscore before the .mp3. There should only be three underscores. After you change the intro (to include the part number) you can upload the files with the corrected filename (and change the url link in the MW).

rasputinrevolution_##_radziwill_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. rasputinrevolution_00_radziwill_128kb.mp3)
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

I would be interested in DPLing this project. Possible?

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
tac107

Post by tac107 »

BetsyWalker wrote: March 11th, 2023, 10:30 am I would be interested in DPLing this project. Possible?

Betsy
Sure! Just wait until I reupload these files with the correct openings later today.
If she's got the time

Tatiana
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

tac107 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 11:51 am
BetsyWalker wrote: March 11th, 2023, 10:30 am I would be interested in DPLing this project. Possible?

Betsy
Sure! Just wait until I reupload these files with the correct openings later today.
Will do! :thumbs: - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe