COMPLETE [DR][Hardy Boys #2] The House on the Cliff-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KJames

Post by KJames »

Malloy.

I think I might be a decent Malloy. Plus, it’s a good start as a minor role, as I’m brand new to Librivox.

Thanks!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

KJames wrote: January 31st, 2023, 6:51 pm Malloy.

I think I might be a decent Malloy. Plus, it’s a good start as a minor role, as I’m brand new to Librivox.

Thanks!
Welcome! Thanks for joining us, and I'll be glad to set you up as Malloy! Marking it as assigned now, while we get you set up.

Two things to check:
1. Just to be sure, have you seen the copyright notice in red, at the top of the first post? We try not to ask folks to break their local copyright laws. :wink:
2. What would you like to be your catalog name? It'll be the name you say for your voice credit, and listeners will be able to find you by it. Most folks use either their real name or their forum name, but it can be anything within reason. Let me know, and I'll get you in the system.

Other than that, all the instructions are in the first post. Since you're reading an individual role, you'll skip the "This is a LibriVox recording...", and read a voice credit instead.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
KJames

Post by KJames »

@redrun. Re: Malloy
Thanks! No problem with the copyright. I’m US. And “K. James” is great. Thanks! I’ll get to work
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

KJames wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:48 pm @redrun. Re: Malloy
Thanks! No problem with the copyright. I’m US. And “K. James” is great. Thanks! I’ll get to work
Alright, you're set up! I've split the role of Malloy into three "sections" in the Magic Window (the box embedded into the first post). Each section is for your lines as Malloy in one chapter, and has a link to the color-coded script for that chapter.
Since I'm ordering roles by first appearance in the book, you'll find yours currently at the end of the "-- Assigned Sections --" list.

You also have a reader page now, which you can find here:
https://librivox.org/reader/18277
It'll show all the projects you're involved in, and will have Download buttons for them when complete... I give mine out to friends or family who might like to see what I'm up to, but it is also publicly visible to anyone who searches for it.

Thanks again for joining LV, and this particular project too! :D
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

redrun wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:12 pm
ThankUJerry wrote: January 30th, 2023, 8:53 pm I would like to claim Biff Hooper as a reoccurring role. I am still however waiting on approval of my one minute.
Alright! Welcome to LibriVox, and thanks for your interest! :D

I'll hold the role for you in this book while your test is pending, and will notify you when the next project goes up (estimated: sometime next week), so that you can claim the role there.

Two things in the meantime:
1. Have you seen the copyright notice in red at the top of the first post? We try never to ask folks to break their local copyright laws.
2. What would you like your catalog name to be? That's the name you'll use in your voice credit, and the name by which readers can find you online. Most folks use their real name or their forum name, but it can be anything within reason.

Thanks again for volunteering to be our Biff!
Update: I see that 1-minute test has succeeded. The role of Biff is yours, and I'll just need that catalog name (point 2 above) to get you officially set up. 8-)
ThankUJerry

Post by ThankUJerry »

Thank you for holding my place, you can put me down under Christian Wordell for Biff Hooper, looking forward to doing this project!
KJames

Post by KJames »

Malloy: Chapter 15.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/houseonthecliff_malloy_15.mp3 (00:50)

Greetings! My first project upload. Shamelessly soliciting feedback, stage direction, or approval prior to the remaining chapters. Thanks! -KJ
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

KJames wrote: February 1st, 2023, 11:49 am Malloy: Chapter 15.

Greetings! My first project upload. Shamelessly soliciting feedback, stage direction, or approval prior to the remaining chapters. Thanks! -KJ
Alright! I'll get back to you with that as soon as I can - if not this evening, then tomorrow evening. I'll be sure to include any optional feedback - I've found it's the quickest way to learn and improve, myself. :wink:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

ThankUJerry wrote: February 1st, 2023, 10:23 am Thank you for holding my place, you can put me down under Christian Wordell for Biff Hooper, looking forward to doing this project!
Looking forward to hearing from you! :wink:

I've got your sections assigned in the Magic Window, each with a direct link to the chapter text.
You've also got your own reader page, which will show any projects you're involved in. I give the link to my own page to friends and family who want to see what I'm up to, but it's also searchable by anyone.
Here's you:
https://librivox.org/reader/18280
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

KJames wrote: February 1st, 2023, 11:49 am Malloy: Chapter 15.

Got a break, as I'd hoped but was not assured. :lol:

Well, first I'll say you're sounding great, all the specs check out as one might hope, and I think you picked a good "gruff" voice to do! You're a good Malloy already, and this file passes the project's "Standard" PL with flying colors! I've marked the section as "Proof-Listener OK", but you're welcome to make changes as you wish, and I'll do a "Spot PL" of whatever changes. :D

But in line with your request for any type of feedback, here's what I've got:
  • Stage direction for "No, we mustn't forget that", I'd perhaps put emphasis on "that". We don't know exactly what Mr. "Hesitant" is saying, but I imagine he's reminding Malloy that Li Chang's share is big enough to take a bite out of their own!
  • You've left a pretty uniform 2.5 seconds or so between lines, which is useful, but leaving 3+ would be more so. That way I won't need to adjust from my preferred settings to get each of your lines marked automatically.
If you're looking for additional tips, there are a bunch being discussed here:
viewtopic.php?t=96439
In particular, you did a good job with keeping all the lines at a comfortable and fairly consistent volume (just one outlier, which always happens to me too), but you might find that either the "Compressor" or "Limiter" effect, when paired with "Loudness Normalization" let you slide just a bit closer to "set and forget" when it comes to volume. There are caveats, but these are useful tools.
You might also look at Noise Reduction - certainly not required, but just a touch would not go amiss.

Then of course, if you'd like to see demonstrations of many of these effects (and sometimes a discussion on theory), you can find a bunch of videos here on the wiki:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos#More_Editing
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

KJames

Post by KJames »

@redrun Thanks for the great feedback! Investigating all and incorporating. Expect new Ch 15/Malloy this evening. -KJ