SOLO The Burgess Animal Book for Children by Thornton W. Burgess - dc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

The Burgess Animal Book for Children, by Thornton W. Burgess (1874 - 1965)

Volunteers outside the USA: Thornton W. Burgess died in 1965. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
to be written after read is complete (Summary by Jude Somers)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2441

Target completion date: 2023-09-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Burgess Animal Book for Children. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Burgess Animal Book for Children, by Thornton W. Burgess. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Burgess Animal Book for Children, by Thornton W. Burgess. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Burgess Animal Book for Children, by Thornton W. Burgess."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: burgessanimalbookforchildren_##_burgess_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. burgessanimalbookforchildren_01_burgess_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
......................................................................................

"With gratitude, optimism is sustainable."
Michael J. Fox
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

This will be version 2. I'll set this up once you respond.
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

craigdav1 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:24 am This will be version 2. I'll set this up once you respond.
Yes please! Hooray, same team (Lomond has agreed to PL again)

cheers
Happy Jude
......................................................................................

Michael J. Fox
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

MW looks good ... and we're off! I uploaded the Preface for a first file and will get to work on Chapter 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/burgessanimalbookforchildren_00_burgess_128kb.mp3

cheers
Jude

Michael J. Fox
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Preface -

I was wondering if you were going to read the dedication or not.

Does it seem to you that this preface does not match the nature of the stories in each chapter?

Lomond
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

lomond wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:33 pm Greetings -

Preface -

I was wondering if you were going to read the dedication or not.

Does it seem to you that this preface does not match the nature of the stories in each chapter?

Lomond
Well, the dedication certainly gets to the point quicker and is much pithier. Shall we dump the preface and just include the dedication with Chapter 1?

Michael J. Fox
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Personal preference would be to include the dedication and preface to stay true to the book and author. The sentiments in the dedication echo many that folks still have today.

Lomond
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Or, regarding the preface, I could start with the dedication and then read the preface for the first audio file. I think the chapters do follow the essence of the preface (using simple language and stories to teach about groups of animals) ... it's just that it's so wordy and convoluted.

Whatever you two think I'll go along with.

Jude

Michael J. Fox
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

lomond wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 7:47 pm Greetings -

Personal preference would be to include the dedication and preface to stay true to the book and author. The sentiments in the dedication echo many that folks still have today.

Lomond
I overlapped your message with mine. I agree and will add the dedication to the preface.

Jude

Michael J. Fox
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

I've added the dedication to the preface file and uploaded it again. The new length is 4:38.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/burgessanimalbookforchildren_00_burgess_128kb.mp3

Glad you caught and suggested that, Lomond.

Jude

Michael J. Fox
lomond

Post by lomond »

JudeSomers wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 8:22 pm I've added the dedication to the preface file and uploaded it again. The new length is 4:38.

Glad you caught and suggested that, Lomond.

Jude
Greetings -

Sounds good.

Lomond
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving topic to Going Solo forum.
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Chapter 1 is uploaded and ready to PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/burgessanimalbookforchildren_01_burgess_128kb.mp3

This is going to be a good one to read ... I feel it in my bones.

Jude

Michael J. Fox
JudeSomers

Post by JudeSomers »

Chapter 02 is uploaded and ready to PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/burgessanimalbookforchildren_02_burgess_128kb.mp3

We're going to learn a lot about critters with this book.

cheers
Jude

Michael J. Fox