[COMPLETE] Poland, a Study of the Land, People and Literature, by GEORGE BRANDES - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Section 3 has been uploaded.

Lots of interesting insights about the Polish people. Some of those traits seem to persist until today and they were certainly noticed by the local contemporaries back then. The bit about the Polish people being upstaged in business by people of other nationalities is brought up, for example, in the classical novel "Lalka". The soldiers' song mentioned in connection with Napoleon is today the national anthem ("Mazurek Dąbrowskiego").

Greetings from Posen (or, as it is called today, Poznań) :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Thank you for sharing some complementary information; very interesting, both the book and your comments on its contents.

Section 3 notes:

page 22 @00:53
- from the Elbe to the Oder - vs - from the Elbe and the Oder
page 23 @03:01
- epoch-making diet - vs - epoch-making date
page 23 @04:09
- invited the land in 1793 - vs - invaded the land in 1793

Let me know which ones to spot PL
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

DrSpoke wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:52 am Thank you for sharing some complementary information; very interesting, both the book and your comments on its contents.

Section 3 notes:

I'll take care of those shortly. Meanwhile, section 4 is in.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

DrSpoke wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:52 am Section 3 notes:

I fixed all 3 of those.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

smooth edit - section 3 PL OK
I'll PL section 4 tomorrow.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Section 4 notes:

p. 38 @18:20
At a very sedate environment -- vs --
At a very sedate entertainment

p. 40 @22:08
and the same pictures of the defence of Warsaw in 1831 -- vs --
and some pictures of the defence of Warsaw in 1831

p 40 @23:14
they took part in the insurrection of the Commune -- vs -- who took part in the insurrection of the Commune

Please note that I'm PLing on my phone now and I'm not sure how precise I'm when writing these notes.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thank you for your prompt feedback :)

All the spots in section 4 have been fixed.
Section 5 has been uploaded.

Some notes that you may (or may not) find interesting:
Some of the Poles forming the part of the Napoleonic Legion sent to Haiti actually defected and were allowed to settle there after the Revolution. Their descendents still live in the country https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Haitians

The cymbal concert scene from Pan Tadeusz is among the best-known standalone fragments of the poem (it's called "koncert Jankiela" [Jankiel's concert]).

The Towiański mentioned in connection with Mickiewicz started what we would today call a cult. Member indoctrination, special garments and dietary requirements, members ratting on each other, sounds familiar? Mickiewicz's poetic output stopped after he became involved with Towiański. At some point I recorded an audiobook, a sort of literary investigation of sorts, that focused on the decades-long efforts of various fellow emigres to suppress the knowledge of Mickiewicz's involvement. The book was written in late 1920s and apparently the results of the wall of silence was still felt back then, eighty-or-so years after the fact.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Keep them coming (those extra notes you write); i sure do find it interesting.

Spot PL: ok
As to the new section, please check the following and let me know what you think:
page 47 @15:26
every one here, even the least gifted
I'm not sure what you say - it sounds possibly like every
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

That was a stealthy move...
5/30 PL OK
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

DrSpoke wrote: January 29th, 2023, 2:45 am That was a stealthy move...
5/30 PL OK
I wanted to post after submitting the sections that I'm now recording.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Two new short sections have have been uploaded.

Some notes:
The Cherbuliez the author cites every now and again seems to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Cherbuliez

A person often cited as an example of resistance against the Prussian ban on Poles settling on Polish lands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micha%C5%82_Drzyma%C5%82a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drzyma%C5%82a%27s_wagon

The "Battle at Grunwald" mentioned in section 7 is one of the most recognizable Polish paintings, representing a military victory against the (largely Germanic) Teutonic Order https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grunwald_(Matejko)#/media/File:Jan_Matejko,_Bitwa_pod_Grunwaldem.jpg

Eliza Orzeszkowa's "Nad Niemnem" is a required reading in school (or was when I was a student) but it's often made fun of (justly or not) for being tedious and containing a large number of nature description. I'm not familiar with any other of her works. We don't have anything by her in the catalogue, so... a task for the future?

Maria Konopnicka is mostly known today for her "Rota", a patriotic poem later turned into a song, as well as children's poetry. I'm currently soloing her epic poem "Pan Balcer w Brazylji", which for some unknown reason has fallen out of print decades ago. I say "for some unknown reason", because I really like the thing :)
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Thank you Piotr.
And, you get to move on without the need for spot editing!

I was thinking that "nation without a state", or something like that, might be included among keywords; some observations of Brandes' are kind of universal when it comes to people under occupation.

I'd like also to add that another non-similarity between French and Polish could be the weeds-like presence of vowels in the written language of the former, whereas the latter, well... no need to count at least three consonants before admitting one (vowel), you know?
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Section 8 has been uploaded.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Piotrek81 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:42 am Section 8 has been uploaded.
Hi, maybe you uploaded the pre-final version? It's not your standard. I've PLed only the beginning so far; from @03:15 onwards there are many repeats and such (the good news is that you don't start swearing like me on my recordings..).

Notes before that:

58 @00:56
Repeat While the German(s)

58 @01:99
1847 -vs.- 1846
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

DrSpoke wrote: February 1st, 2023, 1:10 am
Piotrek81 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:42 am Section 8 has been uploaded.
Hi, maybe you uploaded the pre-final version? It's not your standard. I've PLed only the beginning so far; from @03:15 onwards there are many repeats and such (the good news is that you don't start swearing like me on my recordings..).

Notes before that:

58 @00:56
Repeat While the German(s)

58 @01:99
1847 -vs.- 1846
Confirmed. Somehow I created an MP3 from an uneditied file :oops: I'll be back soon with the right file.