[COMPLETE] To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Ooooh! Did you see the newspaper section? Very tempting!
Newgatenovelist wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:59 pm I kept meaning to find this again and pass it on. It's a site all about To the Lighthouse, its contexts, images of Woolf's drafts (so you can see the novel evolve if you click on each link), British and American editions and textual variants, you name it. Have fun in the new playground!
http://www.woolfonline.com/
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Welcome back! (minor) notes for section 10 below:

11.32-11.34, repetition
...was a positive event to them; and so on, [and so on,] with one thing after another...

12.41, omission
...her fifty years. There it was before her—life. [Life:] she thought but she did not finish her thought.

17.45, repetition
And she would have to say: ‘No: [No:] not to-morrow; your father says not.’
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks! Part 10 ready for spot PL and a short one for PL!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/tothelighthouse_13_woolf_128kb.mp3 - 04:39
Newgatenovelist

I'll get downloading the new files! In the meantime, here are the next couple of sections.

Part 11

3.29-3.43, omission (3)
...‘Children don’t forget, [children don’t forget’]—which she would repeat and begin adding to it, It will end, [It will end,] she said. It will come, [it will come,] when suddenly she added: We are in the hands of the Lord.

Part 12

11.52-11.59
But then, Mrs Ramsay, though [heard thought] instantly taking his side against all the silly Giddingses in the world...
I know it’s minor, but I think perhaps if you try to tease out the sentence it makes more sense as ‘though’.

13.52, false start
Yes, it must! What an admirable idea! [They must] They must marry!
Newgatenovelist

Part 10 is spot PL OK. For part 13:

...still, for one moment, there was a sense of things having been blown apart...
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

11-13 ready for spot PL!
Newgatenovelist wrote: January 30th, 2023, 12:46 pm 11.52-11.59
But then, Mrs Ramsay, though [heard thought] instantly taking his side against all the silly Giddingses in the world...
I know it’s minor, but I think perhaps if you try to tease out the sentence it makes more sense as ‘though’.
I think this was a kind of unconscious correction, due to me trying out different ways to make sense of the text as read aloud (which happens a lot with this book!). But it is 'though' in the original (not a PG error), so 'though' it should be.

I still can't get it to make sense, though, as the 'though' implies that she is NOT taking his side either immediately before or after. But she is taking his side all the way through, so why 'though'?

None of which matters, unless I have somehow got the phrasing of it wrong.
Newgatenovelist

11, 12, 13 are spot PL OK.

I am not sure I see such a strong opposition implied by the use of 'though' as you do. She is 'taking his side', but she also recognises how differently formed he is (in her estimation) and that, while being 'on his side', they are united but not necessarily identical ("a great mind like his must be different in every way from ours"). So much of the novel is about impressions of other people, attempts to understand what someone else is thinking - a sort of more convoluted way of expressing the same sentiment as E. M. Forster's 'only connect' - attempts to understand one's own self, and Mrs Ramsay recognises both the ties that bind and where there is clear water between ways of engaging with the world.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You made me curious so I had a look. I've never really read any of her writing but it seems to me that she is writing thoughts rather than speech. Which is just another way of me expressing the same thing you said

Anne
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Chapters 14-16 ready for PL! And, yes, 15 really is 28 seconds, whereas 17 looks like it is going to be more than an hour long. It will keep me occupied for a while :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/tothelighthouse_14_woolf_128kb.mp3 - 12:10
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/tothelighthouse_15_woolf_128kb.mp3 - 00:28
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/tothelighthouse_16_woolf_128kb.mp3 - 08:19

Yes, it is mostly thoughts, but sometimes speech, and what people say often contradicts what they think in interesting ways.

I've seen her style called 'stream of consciousness'. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it strikes me that everything is very well constructed and she chooses her words very carefully.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

whereas 17 looks like it is going to be more than an hour
Looking at the reading on Legamus , it has been split into parts 1 and 2 which are 33:22 and 34:18 . I don't remember Cori being a fast reader so it will probably fit but you could split it if you wished as you haven't read the later sections.

Anne
Newgatenovelist

15 and 16 are PL OK. One thing for 14 I wanted to bring to your attention, given that you've just been saying how carefully Woolf chose her words. Optional, but here it is:

5.14-5.25
...and unable to move by the intensity of feelings which reduced her own body, her own life [heard lives], and the lives of all the people in the world, for ever, to nothingness.

I didn't know what Bœuf en Daube was, and the first recipe in the search results uses five pounds of beef and bottle of wine. And that isn't even meant for 15 people!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

annise wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 4:47 am Looking at the reading on Legamus , it has been split into parts 1 and 2 which are 33:22 and 34:18 . I don't remember Cori being a fast reader so it will probably fit but you could split it if you wished as you haven't read the later sections.
Mine should be about the same. But I'll keep it one piece if I can. There isn't really a natural break as it all takes place over one dinner.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Chapter 14 - corrected and ready for spot PL! I may tweak the sound a little bit on this chapter to somehow try to get the sound of the whole chapter being in parentheses. But not right now, because I am not sure how best to do it.
Newgatenovelist wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:14 pm I didn't know what Bœuf en Daube was, and the first recipe in the search results uses five pounds of beef and bottle of wine. And that isn't even meant for 15 people!
First, take a cow and a cask of wine....
Newgatenovelist

Part 14 is spot PL OK. If you change it just let me know.

Yeah, I have no idea how I would cook a dish like that for so many people. But then, I'm not a cook a century ago!