[COMPLETE] The Food of the Gods: A Popular Account of Cocoa, by Brandon Head - loa

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

franc wrote: January 29th, 2023, 12:35 pm
silverquill wrote: January 26th, 2023, 11:15 am
franc wrote: January 26th, 2023, 9:53 am i'll take section 7 - Appendix I: Ancient Manufacture Of Cocoa
You are welcome to record this!
I do need to know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym, or any name you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work. I'll save this for you.
ok thank you... will begin working on it. You can list me as Frank Scandurra
Well, it looks as if someone else has added you to the catalog, so I've assigned you Section 7 to record.
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your personal reader page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects of which I hope there will be many.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
franc

Post by franc »

Well, it looks as if someone else has added you to the catalog, so I've assigned you Section 7 to record.
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your personal reader page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects of which I hope there will be many.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
Thank you! i gave it a go and here it is.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/cocoa_07_head_128kb.mp3

I might be reading it too fast , but please let me know what you think, thanks!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

franc wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:26 pm
Thank you! i gave it a go and here it is.

Thank you for our first recorded section for this project!
Our DPL will give you a full report, but I will also take a listen when I get a chance.

Also, we do request in our reading instructions that you give the file length as mm:ss when you post the link.
~ Larry
ej400

Post by ej400 »

franc wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:26 pm Thank you! i gave it a go and here it is.

Hey there, and welcome to librivox!

You've done an amazing job! I like your voice, and you have a very good pace! Excellent job with your technical settings as well! :thumbs:

I do have a couple PL notes for you (nothing major!)

@ 0:00 at the beginning, there is 2 seconds of silence. We aim for about 0.5-1 second for each recording.

@ 1:20 Stumble - The text reads, "a mortar bring it into the usual form." I hear a stumble at, "a mortar [pause], and bringing it into the usual form."

No edit, but I noticed you didn't give yourself a credit (which is totally optional). If you would like, you could say after the librivox intro "this reading by [your name]" (forum name, or how you'd like to credit yourself). Or, at the end of the section, say like, "end of section 7, read by [your name]." It's totally optional too, just wanted to give you the opportunity :9:

And hey, fantastic job so far! You did very, very well.

If you have any questions on editing, or anything at all, please feel free to ask! :D

Thanks
Elijah
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

All slots are filled, so I moved the project to 'Readers Found'.
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 2 Rollen frei
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Section 6, Sources and Varieties, attached, in 12:27.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/cocoa_06_head_128kb.mp3

I tacked on the footnotes at the end, as they were pretty brief and just additional, less important but interesting info (e.g., Cocoa Beach doesn't grow cacao)

Thanks you,
Brize
franc

Post by franc »

ej400 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 1:13 am
franc wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:26 pm Thank you! i gave it a go and here it is.

Hey there, and welcome to librivox!

You've done an amazing job! I like your voice, and you have a very good pace! Excellent job with your technical settings as well! :thumbs:

I do have a couple PL notes for you (nothing major!)

@ 0:00 at the beginning, there is 2 seconds of silence. We aim for about 0.5-1 second for each recording.

@ 1:20 Stumble - The text reads, "a mortar bring it into the usual form." I hear a stumble at, "a mortar [pause], and bringing it into the usual form."

No edit, but I noticed you didn't give yourself a credit (which is totally optional). If you would like, you could say after the librivox intro "this reading by [your name]" (forum name, or how you'd like to credit yourself). Or, at the end of the section, say like, "end of section 7, read by [your name]." It's totally optional too, just wanted to give you the opportunity :9:

And hey, fantastic job so far! You did very, very well.

If you have any questions on editing, or anything at all, please feel free to ask! :D

Thanks
Elijah

Thanks Elijah! i will fix the intro length silence and re-read the stumble and re-upload. and yes i forgot to add my name.

-Franc
franc

Post by franc »

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/cocoa_07_head_128kb_2.mp3 (3:20)

I tried to just fix my stumble but it was raining the day i recorded and now it is not, so i couldn't replicate the background noise, so i recorded the passage anew.

thanks,

Franc
Last edited by franc on February 1st, 2023, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

franc wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:55 am https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/cocoa_07_head_128kb_2.mp3

I tried to just fix my stumble but it was raining the day i recorded and now it is not, so i couldn't replicate the background noise, so i recorded the passage anew.

thanks,

Franc
Ah, well, we all know it is difficult to get a patch to match exactly - even if all conditions are the same. Even our voice changes from day to day, even within the same day, for one thing. It does help to record a sentence or phrase which can make the difference less noticeable. But, since this is a short piece, doing a new recording isn't that bad. Elijah will give you another PL report.

Do try to remember to give the file length when you post the link, though.

Thanks for your work on this!
~ Larry
ej400

Post by ej400 »

franc wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:55 am https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/cocoa_07_head_128kb_2.mp3 (3:20)

thanks,

Franc
Excellent job on the reading! It is PL OK!

Just a small note for future projects, is in the file name, please re-upload with the same file name as before, so removing the "2" before the .mp3. That way, it will override the previous file. If you prefer to keep a version of the first recording you had (or still had it on file, in which case your computer probably wanted you to have a different title for this version), change the file name for the old file first (if you wish to keep it). That way the new one will be under the correct file name :thumbs: We will take care of it this time, but sometimes BC's or MC's will ask for you to re-upload the file. :thumbs:

Very good job with this section though, you have such a great voice!
franc

Post by franc »

ej400 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 1:20 am
franc wrote: February 1st, 2023, 9:55 am https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/cocoa_07_head_128kb_2.mp3 (3:20)

thanks,

Franc
Excellent job on the reading! It is PL OK!

Just a small note for future projects, is in the file name, please re-upload with the same file name as before, so removing the "2" before the .mp3. That way, it will override the previous file. If you prefer to keep a version of the first recording you had (or still had it on file, in which case your computer probably wanted you to have a different title for this version), change the file name for the old file first (if you wish to keep it). That way the new one will be under the correct file name :thumbs: We will take care of it this time, but sometimes BC's or MC's will ask for you to re-upload the file. :thumbs:

Very good job with this section though, you have such a great voice!
Thank you ! I will, in the future, use the same file name, thanks for adjusting that for me.
VOgalUS

Post by VOgalUS »

Hi silverquill,

I hope this works -

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/cocoa_08_head_128kb.mp3 4:26
VO gal

Do do do do, de da da da is all I want to say to you.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

VOgalUS wrote: February 12th, 2023, 1:59 pm Hi silverquill,

I hope this works -

Thank you!
Elijah will have a PL report for you soon.
~ Larry
ej400

Post by ej400 »

BrizeCrize wrote: January 30th, 2023, 7:39 am Section 6, Sources and Varieties, attached, in 12:27.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/cocoa_06_head_128kb.mp3

I tacked on the footnotes at the end, as they were pretty brief and just additional, less important but interesting info (e.g., Cocoa Beach doesn't grow cacao)

Thanks you,
Brize
Hey there! I think I and Larry both missed this! :oops: I'll put this one in the MW and get you a PL for it as soon as I can :thumbs: Sorry for the delay!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

VOgalUS wrote: February 12th, 2023, 1:59 pm Hi silverquill,

I hope this works -

Hello there!

Very well done! You read very smoothly, and quite well! Be proud of your work! :thumbs:

I do have 2 little notes, neither are severe by any means. Trust me, you did well! And don't fear the long post either, it's honestly just a little explaining a quick tool in audacity for something small. Nothing you did, just funny recording business :D

PL notes:

@4:16-4:19 - There is a small pause after the last words in the section, and between "end of section 8." It's a little but of an awkward pause, but it's totally okay! Select about two seconds, by clicking on the recording, and then dragging your mouse from one spot, to another, just like you were going to copy text. (I'd recommend selecting 4:16:5 to 4:18:5). Then go towards the top (which the selected area still highlighted), and select "edit," followed by "cut." You should see the recording become 2 seconds shorter, and then selected area gone.

Also, in your recording, in places where you aren't reading, do you hear just a little faint amount of settle noise? Nothing unsettling, but a tiny, little bit of sound? Although it isn't very noticeable, until mentioned, you can hear just that little "shhh" in the back. Which is totally okay, since it's actually quite faint in your recording here. But, there is a simple fix to create this slight hissing sound to become silence. It's pretty cool actually, and it won't put any effects onto your voice or change how you sound (unless you really change the settings around :lol: ) It's called noise reduction. It's a tool in audacity under the effect tab towards the top. When you select noise reduction, you'll first need to get a "noise profile" so it'll know what to apply noise reduction to. So first, you'll need to highlight an area of your recording. Select an area, generally the beginning of the recording, or any place where you hear some of the sound, and where you voice isn't present (you only need about a half second for it to work). Got that selected? Then go back and select the noise reduction button, and "get noise profile." Once you've done that, it will check the area you have highlighted, and it will know what to grab. Now, select your entire recording. You can double left click to do so by selecting anywhere in the recording, or by clicking the "select" button on the top, and then clicking on "all." Once you have your recording completely highlighted, you can go back to noise reduction and it'll show you some settings. The settings I would use are:

Noise reduction (db): 12
Sensitivity: 6.00
Frequency smoothing (bands): 3
Noise: Reduce

Then hit OK, and it should apply! Listen to your recording again, and let me know if you can hear the difference. If you hear a little noise, for any of your sections, I would certainly recommend this tool! I've tried the noise reduction with those settings on your recording already, and it seemed to work perfect! I had to do lots of noise reduction on my recordings, and still do to this day! It's completely normal to go back over a recording and double check some things!

Amazing job so far! Very glad to have you hear at Librivox!

Let me know if you need any help or assistance, or have any questions :D

Thank you,
Elijah