A Question about end tags

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Rags57

Post by Rags57 »

You state in your guidlines that the "end tag" ("End of [work]. This recording is in the public domain.") come 0.5 to 1 second after the end of the text, When I record and listen to it this way, it feels jarring. Are there practical reasons for this that I don't know about? Is it possible to relax the timing to, say 2 to 2.5 seconds?

Thank you for your kind attention. :)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Yes, that would be jarring. I don't think there are any specifications about the space between ending a section and saying "....end of chapter 3". I always do what seems right, about 2 or 3 seconds. We DO require that the ending silence, be about 5 seconds, meaning what comes after "....end of chapter 3" and the end of the track. But maybe we are talking about different things. Keep asking questions!
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
SowasVon

Post by SowasVon »

Rags57 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 11:26 am You state in your guidlines that the "end tag" ("End of [work]. This recording is in the public domain.") come 0.5 to 1 second after the end of the text, When I record and listen to it this way, it feels jarring. Are there practical reasons for this that I don't know about? Is it possible to relax the timing to, say 2 to 2.5 seconds?

Thank you for your kind attention. :)
Where are you finding this info? It sounds like this could be a mixup between info on the start and end tags.
Going by the current project template, these are the rules:
Start: 0.5 to 1 seconds of silence, text of start tag (with a mention of the public domain)
End: text of end tag (public domain not mentioned), 5 seconds of silence
It doesn't say in the template how long the silence before the end tag text has to be, though.
"You're on Librivox? Pffft. You just like to hear yourself talk."
"Yuuuup." :mrgreen:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Going by the current project template, these are the rules:
Start: 0.5 to 1 seconds of silence, text of start tag (with a mention of the public domain)
End: text of end tag (public domain not mentioned), 5 seconds of silence
Not quite true for all cases. Poetry (such as the weekly and fortnightly poetry) has the public domain mention at the end.

But yes - 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the very beginning, 5 seconds at the very end. And no set-in-stone number of seconds between the main text and the "End of" wording at the end. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart