The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

Hello. I'm on a MAC and for the life of me I cannot amplify my recording volume and my recordings now are too low.I have been back and forth through this website to no avail. The amplify box under effects will not let me change it. Going a little out of my mind!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Skibum69 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:27 pm Hello. I'm on a MAC and for the life of me I cannot amplify my recording volume and my recordings now are too low.I have been back and forth through this website to no avail. The amplify box under effects will not let me change it. Going a little out of my mind!
Do you have a link to a sample?

It could be that you're clipping (hitting the maximum), and thus you can't amplify it.

And also, please let us know the version of Audacity (2.x.x or 3.x.x - whatever the numbers are)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

How do I check if it's clipping? That could be it as the "amplify" effect will only allow to about 1/2 way in the effects tab which would explain it.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Skibum69 wrote: January 26th, 2023, 3:04 pm How do I check if it's clipping? That could be it as the "amplify" effect will only allow to about 1/2 way in the effects tab which would explain it.
Go to View > Show Clipping and turn it on. It'll put a red vertical line on the clipping. :)

How much do you need to amplify? You could first run a Limiter effect set around the amount you need to amplify. That'll squish down the peaks. Then amplify after that.
Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

I turned on the "show clipping" but I don't see anything on the audio sample. The amplify tab will only let me amplify up to 8 instead of the full range up to 50. If I could tap into that I'd be covered I think.
Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

How do you do a limiter? I'm on a MAC if I failed to mention that.
loon

Post by loon »

Skibum69 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:53 am I turned on the "show clipping" but I don't see anything on the audio sample. The amplify tab will only let me amplify up to 8 instead of the full range up to 50. If I could tap into that I'd be covered I think.
There is a small checkbox in (most versions of) Audacity that you must check if you want to amplify into clipping - then the slider should allow you to go all the way to 50. If you do that and you have 'show clipping' on you'll likely see a LOT of red. In this case, RED = BAD.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

Where is the check box and what does it say?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm not sure if it's the same thing (and I don't use it myself), but in Audacity, Analyze/PlugIn Manager will give you a list including "Find Clipping".

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Skibum69 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:53 am I turned on the "show clipping" but I don't see anything on the audio sample. The amplify tab will only let me amplify up to 8 instead of the full range up to 50. If I could tap into that I'd be covered I think.
Do you mean that you need to amplify by 50 to get your recording to the right volume level? :shock: At that low volume, do the wave forms even show up on the line?

If that's the case, first move the mic slider (in the top toolbars) up as far as it'll go. If that doesn't get you up far enough, go into your Windows/OS settings for the input volume level and bump that up.
Skibum69

Post by Skibum69 »

I think I have the problem solved now. I did not need to go as high as 50 to get appropriate volume and the checker came back all good.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

:thumbs:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hi. Quick question. My Audacity has spontaneously started producing stereo recording, e.g when I press "record" a dual track starts. I've just recorded a section in this way. The question is should I simply delete one of the tracks and proceed as usual or should I select "mix and render a new track"?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

Piotrek81 wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 11:47 pm Hi. Quick question. My Audacity has spontaneously started producing stereo recording, e.g when I press "record" a dual track starts. I've just recorded a section in this way. The question is should I simply delete one of the tracks and proceed as usual or should I select "mix and render a new track"?
If both tracks are the same then you can just delete one of them.

Check Preferences > Devices > Recording Channels - it may have changed. Possibly it couldn't find your usual microphone and it defaulted to another (built-in?) mic which is a stereo device. In that case always check your selected mic in the Device toolbar to make sure it's using your preferred mic.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

GrayHouse wrote: February 4th, 2023, 2:50 am
Piotrek81 wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 11:47 pm Hi. Quick question. My Audacity has spontaneously started producing stereo recording, e.g when I press "record" a dual track starts. I've just recorded a section in this way. The question is should I simply delete one of the tracks and proceed as usual or should I select "mix and render a new track"?
If both tracks are the same then you can just delete one of them.

Check Preferences > Devices > Recording Channels - it may have changed. Possibly it couldn't find your usual microphone and it defaulted to another (built-in?) mic which is a stereo device. In that case always check your selected mic in the Device toolbar to make sure it's using your preferred mic.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS