Presidential Inaugural Speeches

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

In many cases, they probably always have; many of the supposedly American variations in vocabulary, spelling and pronunciation appear to be English regional variations which were preserved in the US, but not in standardized British English. Pronunciation of modern British English varies widely, and the variations must have been much greater in the 17th century. Even today, "neether" rather than standard English "nye-ther" is not uncommon in some parts of Northern England.

As can readily be seen from the choice of placenames in the older parts of New England, many of the earlier settlers in the US came from either East Anglia (Suffolk/Norfolk) or the South West (Somerset/Devon/Cornwall), both areas which are still (though to a lesser extent than formerly) notorious for using pronunciations and dialect impenetrable to foreigners from (say) London. For example, both "coney" for "rabbit" and "fall" for "autumn" were originally East Anglian dialect variations which ended up as standard forms in US English.
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4938

President Obama's 2nd address is now in the Project Gutenberg collection, which runs from Washington to Obama's first inaugural.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

[Merged new thread into an old one on the same topic]
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
donma03

Post by donma03 »

Hi All,

If it hasn't yet been spoken for, I'd be happy to record Clinton 1 and 2.
If those are already spoken for, then I'd gladly volunteer to record any other open assignments.

All the Best,

Maurice Donegan
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

donma03 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:07 pm Hi All,

If it hasn't yet been spoken for, I'd be happy to record Clinton 1 and 2.
If those are already spoken for, then I'd gladly volunteer to record any other open assignments.

All the Best,

Maurice Donegan
None of them are spoken for, as this is not currently an active project, but still a suggestion. If you would like to record one or more, you can always submit those to our nonfiction collection: viewtopic.php?t=95769 It's possible that some of these speeches may have already been recorded and submitted to a similar collection. I don't know for sure, as I haven't done any checking on that. But whether they have or not, you are still welcome to submit your own.